12 v solar battery charger

Posted By: AKAjust

12 v solar battery charger - 07/11/23 06:30 PM

Anyone got a good one that don't cost a bundle
looking for one for camper fan, lights,etc
just
Posted By: DVinke

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/11/23 06:39 PM

No one can give you a correct answer without specifics.

You need a solar panel
A diode unless in converter
A charge controller
And a battery
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/12/23 06:03 AM

Also need to know watt usage and time for each appliance. Amount of time for charging each day for sizing.
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/12/23 10:50 AM

You will need a solar panel and MPPT charge controller. Panel size will depend on battery watt hour rating. Check out Will Prowse on Youtube, he has videos on putting together small systems. He is VERY good.
Posted By: Osky

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/12/23 12:21 PM

Another consideration is the type of battery to charge. Lithium takes a different charger, if that’s what your using or plan to.

Osky
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/12/23 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Another consideration is the type of battery to charge. Lithium takes a different charger, if that’s what your using or plan to.

Osky

And if you go lithium (and you should) be sure to get LiFePo4. They are FAR safer. Regular lithium ion batteries are known to have fire risks, especially when using reconditioned batteries or the wrong charger.
Posted By: schweg2

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tommyran
You will need a solar panel and MPPT charge controller. Panel size will depend on battery watt hour rating. Check out Will Prowse on Youtube, he has videos on putting together small systems. He is VERY good.

Will knows his stuff that’s for sure. I would suggest watching his videos also.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 12:08 PM

Cloleman lanterns are simple reliable devices. No point in camping till fur season opens again any way. Then you just need a wood burning stove. Another easy to use simple device
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 12:09 PM

PS lanterns work even if its been cloudy for a week
Posted By: Kre

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Cloleman lanterns are simple reliable devices. No point in camping till fur season opens again any way. Then you just need a wood burning stove. Another easy to use simple device

But, they need fuel too. If you really put some thought into it, it's not that different than charging a battery to run a light.

Both use fuel and both need to be refueled. The nice part about lithium batteries is they can be charged by the sun. Coleman lanterns...well, not so much.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 01:39 PM

The hoots here use the electric fencer panels on the dashboards.

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 06:43 PM

I don't know that technical stuff' don't even know how to find out. Don't care either.
Hoping for someone to say" well what I use is...
I've a new to me pop up camper trailer. Just wanting something to power a fan and lights to make sleeping summer nights more comfortable. Maybe a radio for weather
very simple.
just.
Posted By: justjosh

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 07:39 PM

Check out the kits at harbor freight. They should do everything you want to do
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 08:00 PM

You'll want a 2.4-3+ watt 12v. battery charger. They are $25 or so on Amazon. I think the harbor freight ones are 1.5w and would take a couple days to charge your battery, 3 watts will charge it in a few hours during the day so you can use it at night when you need it. $100 deep cycle battery from Walmart works great for your application but an old car battery may get you by. You can get a small converter and run a small fan all night, I use it for my cpap machine when I can't use 110.
Posted By: cmj

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 09:56 PM

I have a 25 watt harbor freight solar panel and their $20 charge conrtoller for my camper. It charges the battery at only 12.8 volts. Will not keep the battery charged for a weekend. Only run fridge on propane but it also needs 12 volt, a light when needed and water pump when needed. Ended up using a hillbilly shower with a weed sprayer and spray nozzle. And bought a ryobi battery powered fan.
THe charge controller quit working already, only used for a month. So I need to look at other brands.

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/13/23 11:04 PM

So is that considered a trickle charger Jayme
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: 12 v solar battery charger - 07/14/23 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by AKAjust
So is that considered a trickle charger Jayme

I guess so. Found this one looks like it would work to me.

https://www.amazon.com/POWISER-Port...y+charger+5+watts%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-5
© 2024 Trapperman Forums