Home

Oldest human occupation in North America?

Posted By: beaverpeeler

Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 04:07 PM

The U of O Archaeology Dept has discovered a site in eastern Oregon that dates back to 18,000 years ago making it the oldest confirmed site for human occupation in North America. A minimum of two dating techniques were used to confirm the age of the site. Radio carbon testing on tooth enamel from a pleistocene camel that went extinct 13,000 years ago helped confirm the a timeline. Also, the fact that human made tools were discovered with blood residues from an extinct bison under an ash layer from a volcanic eruption of Mt. St Helens. Volcanic ash is very accurately aged because of its known decay rate for radioactive isotopes.

This new discovery pushes back human occupation of North America by about 5000 years. It may also put a new twist on how humans got here....
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 04:17 PM

I remember being taught as a kid that human occupation of the New World was well after the close of the Pleistocene (about 10,00 years ago). Boy-Howdy! They're continually moving that time line back a few centuries!
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 04:20 PM

Now that is interesting! Thanks for bringing this up. I'm gonna have to look this up.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 04:23 PM

Guys what species of man would that be then? There has been a lot talk about that too...
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 04:25 PM

What about the fossilized footprints of some species of human
I bet they are older
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Guys what species of man would that be then? There has been a lot talk about that too...

Crow Magnum.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 05:16 PM

“ Oldest human occupation in North America? ”

Prostitution?
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 05:17 PM

Another massive money pit of research....
Posted By: warrior

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

Prostitution?

Nah, that wasn't invented until the day after Congress was created.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 05:35 PM

They’re bound to find evidence of racism in all that important research.

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/07/23 06:53 PM

It was even noted in the article (7-7-23 Oregonian) that Native Americans have been saying all along that we've been here much longer than given credit for.

What I like about the U of O's work on the project is they didn't rush off and report the news at the outset. They spent nearly a decade testing and re-testing with cutting edge scientific methodology to get the results. Then they invited peer reviewal of their work before publishing anything. That tends to get the respect of other anthropologists working in the field.
Posted By: g smith

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 01:43 AM

I am always curious about the location of the find and how it fits into the way the men were making their living (hunting ,gathering ,etc) in short why were they there at that place. Any info on that aspect ?
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 02:11 AM

The 1st humans in the southern US came from Europe...down the north Atlantic coast.

But, the largest influx came around/across the Gulf of Mexico from expansion of populations in South and Central America.

Southeastern US natives were very culturally connected to the Maya and Aztecs.
Posted By: charles

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 02:20 AM

How did they get to South America? From the West or the East?
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by wetdog

Crow Magnum.

Bwaaahahahah
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 02:22 AM

Clovis Period is considered to be 12,000-14,000 years ago....so at least that long

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 02:42 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solutrean_hypothesis
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 03:04 AM

My take is a bit controversial I guess, but I stand by it. It goes like this: for as long as there have been people (say within a few thousand years more or less), they have been everywhere on earth that is habitable and accessible to them.
I know, we only have “objective evidence” going back so far. Doesnt matter. People being people, they explore. And with people able to survive the polar regions, they can drop down on any continent.
And there are more reasons I feel this way. But I am not going to write an academic paper here.
Just remember, 30 years ago if you said people had been in what we now call “the Americas” 20,000 years ago you would have been laughed out of any academic community. Not any more.
People are people, and they like to explore. And they can survive about anywhere other than Antarctica with technology available thousands of years ago. I don’t need objective evidence to feel comfortable with that position.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 03:08 AM

They deserve reparations
Posted By: Mac McAtee

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 03:16 AM

The Topper Site in South Carolina has dated human occupation to ca. 50,000 years ago.

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by g smith
I am always curious about the location of the find and how it fits into the way the men were making their living (hunting ,gathering ,etc) in short why were they there at that place. Any info on that aspect ?

This pic of the site shows it near some rimrock type shelter and was near an ancient dried lakebed.
[Linked Image]

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
The 1st humans in the southern US came from Europe...down the north Atlantic coast.

But, the largest influx came around/across the Gulf of Mexico from expansion of populations in South and Central America.

Large studies testing native American DNA shows that there was no pre-Columbus intrusion of European DNA into their genome. So, if early Europeans came to our continent they did not leave a genetic legacy.

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mac McAtee
The Topper Site in South Carolina has dated human occupation to ca. 50,000 years ago.

My guess is that this date of human occupation has not stood up to the rigor of modern testing techniques.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 03:58 AM

Prostitution?

That's what I thought
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 04:01 AM

Very interesting
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 11:26 AM

Good research BP. Puts in place popular ideas about humans in the Americas before ~ 18,000 years ago and about Euros being here before Columbus (other than the Vikings for a very short period about 1,000 AD). Seen these debates before where science gets in the way of good story.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 11:46 AM

I was referring the Denosian Man vs Cro-magnum Man species
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Prostitution?

That's what I thought

Me too.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Large studies testing native American DNA shows that there was no pre-Columbus intrusion of European DNA into their genome. So, if early Europeans came to our continent they did not leave a genetic legacy.

Unless they've been recently refuted studies I've saw show that American Indians have 1/3 European DNA pre Columbus.

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 01:13 PM

Donner: Quote the reference to the peer reviewed study that shows Amerindians were 1/3 Euro pre-Columbus. If they were then they would look like black Americans are today: some are black, some are brown and some are proper white etc. with other physical characteristics. Why: so much Euro in them over the last 400 years. Now look at where they came from in Africa and those people are proper black.

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 02:04 PM

Donner, I don't remember where I read it, but the source was very credible and basically said that with advances in testing methodology the idea of a pre-Columbus admixture of European DNA into native Americans had finally been put to rest. Zero authenticated cases out of hundreds of pre Columbus Indian remains that had had their DNA tested. I just read this within the last year or so.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 02:19 PM

The sea level back in those days was over 350 feet lower than today. I would imagine a huge amount of sites are currently under water. It was an amazingly different world back then and in the timeline of earth wasn't very long ago at all.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 02:24 PM

Oldest Human Occupation of North America ??? It sure wasn't a Demonrat!!!
Posted By: run

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 05:22 PM

I'm guessing the oldest occupation as either farming or hunting. I know this is a boring guess.

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 05:41 PM

My bad...I should have stated "site occupation". As for what they were doing they left clues...ie: Bison antiquas bones and camel teeth. I think it is safe to say that 18,000 years ago all humans were hunter- gatherers. Agriculture came along about 7-8000 years later.

Undoubtably there are sites across the Americas that would have been occupied by man....but arid eastern Oregon had great conditions to preserve their leavings for us to study later. And like somebody said above, ocean levels were way different then and surely lots of campsites are now occupied by octopi and ling cod.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Michigander
The sea level back in those days was over 350 feet lower than today. I would imagine a huge amount of sites are currently under water. It was an amazingly different world back then and in the timeline of earth wasn't very long ago at all.

The wolly Mammoth went extinct only around 10,000 years ago.
Fresh Mammoth must have tasted pretty good.
Posted By: DHH

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
They deserve reparations

Interesting find . Sadly when I read the headline the first thing I thought of was now there will be another group wanting reparations for something

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Donner, I don't remember where I read it, but the source was very credible and basically said that with advances in testing methodology the idea of a pre-Columbus admixture of European DNA into native Americans had finally been put to rest. Zero authenticated cases out of hundreds of pre Columbus Indian remains that had had their DNA tested. I just read this within the last year or so.

Here's an article, there is a lot of articles from the 2013 era that cite a university of Copenhagen study that explored old DNA and showed it to contain Western European heritage
https://sciencenordic.com/anthropol...-native-americans-with-europeans/1393344
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 08:17 PM

Always trust the science

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 10:20 PM

Good Donner. Gotta look at this a little more.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/08/23 11:51 PM

Earliest occupation and sustained habitation are two completely different things but should not be conflated. Both are interesting and worthy of study IMO.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 12:17 AM

18,000 years ago! Reparations are going to cost us a fortune! shocked
Posted By: Pofarmer10

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 12:32 AM

Uhh, how is that true when the earth is only an estimated 6,000 years old?

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pofarmer10

Estimated by who? Not anybody that believes in science.
Posted By: Pofarmer10

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 12:52 AM

Lots of websites that say it. Do you believe the Bible?

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...IA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 01:34 AM

Hmmm....and those dinosaurs?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 01:52 AM

I suspect everything to do with the evolution of man is much earlier than has been proven, simply because before there is a large population, the chances of finding a fossil record from it is very, very low. Very specific conditions need to exist to preserve specimens. The exact spot has to be found too, if there is only one.

Keith

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 02:25 AM

Imagine what has been lost under the ocean after it rose following the ice age.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 02:37 AM

Not long ago, I can’t remember where, there was an article on the oldest traceable native in America. I think it was an Indian in Montana. His genetics went back a loooong way and lo and behold he has South Pacific DNA.

Osky
Posted By: Boco

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 03:05 AM

LOL.
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Osky
Not long ago, I can’t remember where, there was an article on the oldest traceable native in America. I think it was an Indian in Montana. His genetics went back a loooong way and lo and behold he has South Pacific DNA.

Osky

If I remember my history correct, the Spanish pasted through this way in the 1500's, they had Polynesian slaves.
Posted By: TravC

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 04:03 AM

The solutrean hypothosis has not exactly been proven
Its a cool concept but to think it was north americss first peoples is far fetched

Solutrean and clovis bifaces are simular but so are so many other stone tools

Re: Oldest human occupation in North America? - 07/09/23 05:10 AM

Let the bible lead us spiritually; but leave it to science to understand the world around us. Maybe both have a place?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums