Home

Some will be frozen

Posted By: cotton

Some will be frozen - 07/07/23 02:38 PM

[Linked Image]
Can bet your best rifle some will be et for supper tonight.
My buddy really put me on them last night
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/07/23 02:54 PM

Sure looks like fun was had and some fine eating will be done.
Posted By: wayne52

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/07/23 11:17 PM

That looks good
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/07/23 11:22 PM

Catfish fillets are good canned too. I add one egg to a pint of fish and crumble up saltine crackers to mix in and make it doughy. Then fry patties. I like to put miracle whip on them.
Posted By: Dan D

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 12:04 AM

Looks good. Goin after them again in the mornin.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 12:11 AM

Looks like you had a great night
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 02:15 AM

Nice catch!
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Catfish fillets are good canned too. I add one egg to a pint of fish and crumble up saltine crackers to mix in and make it doughy. Then fry patties. I like to put miracle whip on them.

We need a puke emoji !!
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 02:58 AM

Nicely done
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 04:04 AM

Those channel cat are the perfect size

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper5123
Those channel cat are the perfect size

biggest channel was 11.8 lbs.
think we had 9 big bags for the freezer
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 12:02 PM

Dang Cotton, I wished I lived a bit closer.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 08:59 PM

Cooter you never can sucker's up that way? Old moonshiner i use to run around with would wade creeks every spring with a single shot .22 rifle and flash light, lol. He shot sucker's when they were spawning and canned them in mason jars. Made patty's out of them and fried in skillet, was pretty good eating.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/08/23 09:02 PM

Excellent catch, enjoy them

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/09/23 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Cooter you never can sucker's up that way? Old moonshiner i use to run around with would wade creeks every spring with a single shot .22 rifle and flash light, lol. He shot sucker's when they were spawning and canned them in mason jars. Made patty's out of them and fried in skillet, was pretty good eating.

We never have canned any fish. Be nice to have some in the basement
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/09/23 01:27 AM

He's the only person i ever saw do that, lol. Taste kind of like salmon patty's.

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/09/23 01:51 AM

Making pattys like I describe is good. Poor Pirogue must be thinking about freezer burnt with the red and yellow meat left on.
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/09/23 02:14 AM

I grab suckers every year in the spring and can them. Good eating.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/09/23 02:16 AM

Making pattys like I describe is good. Poor Pirogue must be thinking about freezer burnt with the red and yellow meat left on.

Have you ever tried it just making a sammich like you would with tuna fish?

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/09/23 02:39 AM

Its a bit dry unlike tuna. Add some olive oil or mayonnaise would work but I never tried it. Since its home canned I am a bit nervous to eat it without some cooking first due to botulism.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/09/23 02:41 AM

Its a bit dry unlike tuna. Add some olive oil or mayonnaise would work but I never tried it. Since its home canned I am a bit nervous to eat it without some cooking first due to botulism.

Assuming it's pressure canned at the right time and pressure, it's safe to eat from the can. The old warnings about boiling it first was from a time when people were still regularly water bathing things like meats and veggies.

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/09/23 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Assuming it's pressure canned at the right time and pressure, it's safe to eat from the can. The old warnings about boiling it first was from a time when people were still regularly water bathing things like meats and veggies.

yotie is right danny
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Some will be frozen - 07/09/23 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper

Canning suckers is very common here in Northern Michigan in early spring. They run up the rivers from the great lakes. Spears, hook and line and big 10 by 10 dip nets are used, mounted on gin poles and lowered into deep holes. Most all my trapping bait is from frozen suckers in the spring.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums