Home

Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,?

Posted By: Providence Farm

Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 01:45 AM

I should have the tractor back working this week. Everything is over grown. I need to do some bushoging but don't like to untill the fawns are big enough I won't chop them up. Been there done that don't want a repeat. So I won't cut or mow anything tall from April to July. I only mow what's short and I can see if they are in front of Me. Well things got away from me and almost the whole place is overgrown now. With the odd weather we have had I'm wondering if thr fawns may not be behind this year and if I should wait a bit longer.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 01:47 AM

they are big enough to run away here. at least most of them. some are born late
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 01:51 AM

If it's not going to hurt anything, I'd give them a couple more weeks just be safe. I'm sure many of them would move now though.
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 01:56 AM

I've seen fawns following mama already this year and a couple hit on the road.
They should be big enough to move, but whether they will or not is up to them.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 02:02 AM

I bush-hogged some Reeds canary grass and wild parsnip the other day that was about 3 foot tall already. I saw 2 fawns in the couple of acres I mowed. The fawns were big enough that they got up a ran away when I was within 30 yards or so from them.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 02:04 AM

I'd wait a couple weeks
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 02:11 AM

I saw a doe getting bred last December 27th. She should be dropping a fawn in 2 weeks. 95% of fawns should be mobile enough to get out of the way though.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 02:34 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Found this one along my driveway yesterday.
Didn’t make it over.
Big joker. Must have been dropped early.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 02:49 AM

Yep
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 02:51 AM

If another couple weeks ain’t gonna matter I’d wait. Most of ours are moving pretty good with momma, but still running across new borns as well. They’ll actually be dropping all Summer. I’ve found them all the way to archery season in mid September.

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 03:10 AM

Sounds like my suspension was correct and it will wait. Well except where I am going to plant sunflowers. I'm late on that but the tractor being down it couldn't be helped. I will be hard pressed to get much dome anyway between the bees, garden work, rain and overtime. I would like to knock the height down where I saw another ground hog. Need to be able to see it to shoot it. A snair would be easier though.

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by claycreech
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Found this one along my driveway yesterday.
Didn’t make it over.
Big joker. Must have been dropped early.

I hung from a chain link like that when I was around 5. The top part that bends over hooked though the cuff of my jeans and I fell off the fence losing my balance when my leg didn't come over like I expected. Boy I rember being scared hanging there not knowing what happened screaming and crying.

Dad came to the rescue picking me up with one arm by my leg and getting me unhooked. I remember thinking he was as strong as Samson. I can still rember it like it was yesterday for some reasion. I mist have been really scared. Thar what I get for climbing the fence between playgrounds instead of walking around tand throught the gate. The things I thought were showing how tough I was lol
Posted By: buster916

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 10:02 AM

Mowing 2nd cutting here the fawns fly out of the way now
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 01:12 PM

Wait another 2 weeks.
Posted By: 160andup

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 03:27 PM

At least one wasn’t big enough yesterday when the mower went through… found it thanks to the vultures. Unfortunate when the timing isn’t right for the farms to get their hay off.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: run

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 04:49 PM

The fawns are big enough to move here. Can't speak for other places though.
Posted By: run

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 04:51 PM

You could run the tractor in creeper gear if you are concerned.

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by run
You could run the tractor in creeper gear if you are concerned.

I run in low 2 normally. Problem is I still don't see them when it's high and if they don't move I don't know they are there tell I see the bloody spot on the next pass.. one more bee yard to work yet today then when I get home it's finish geting the tractor put together. I'm going to mow a spot them till and plant sunflowers and some mor for the wife garden. Got to get it done tonight so the rain tomorrow can do its job.

I just won't mow everything that needs it for a few week's. Only what I have to.

Lots of deer, rabbits, and ground hogs this year. I want to plant 15 or more acres just for my bees. I leave about 20 to 25 unmowed so the Golden rod, swamp and comon milkweed, black eye Susan's, yellow wing stems and othe rnatave summer to fall plants are there for them. I'm leaning twords clover for the long bloom low th the ground and nitrogen fixing properties.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 06:12 PM

Old boy was mowing hay back of beyond and was long overdue to be finished and return home. My buddy went to check on him, thought the worst when he found him covered in blood and guts. Turned out a fawn had got into the mower and wedged in the crimp rollers. He’d been digging at it with a hay hook for quite awhile. My buddy went and tripped the release lever and it fell right out the back! Work smarter not harder
Posted By: buster916

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/05/23 11:28 PM

spoke too soon got one today
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/06/23 12:42 AM

If its not too hard to walk through, maybe have your boys walk ahead of the tractor and keep watch.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Fawns big enough to move out of the way yet,? - 07/06/23 12:52 AM

They are moving around well here. The first several I saw were singles and have seen some doubles lately. Also have seen 3-4 along the road they have a lot to learn here or they don't live long.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums