Home

Rain. Thank you Lord

Posted By: bucksnbears

Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 01:45 AM

smile
Pop up storm just hit. Was not predicted at all.
Pouring hard here now and lookes like we may get a 1/2" in the next half hour.
Then starting tomorrow thru Sunday, 2" predicted.
Need it SO badly.
How's the rest of you all doing for rains?
Posted By: Zim

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 01:48 AM

Less than an inch at my house since May 1st.
Mighty dry.

Zim
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 01:51 AM

Most of Western SD and the Black Hills look great for now.
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 01:55 AM

Getting storms now, had just over an inch in last 24 hrs. Needed it, but crops are looking alright. Corn was just showing signs of stress before this rain.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:01 AM

Wow Zim, that sucks!.
Any in the near forecast?

Bout done here now looking at the radar but what a blessing.
Haven't looked yet but guessing near 1/2" in the past 45 minutes.
Beautiful/needed rain.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:04 AM

Nuttin here for better than 3 weeks. I've mowed twice this year, so far. Have not had the mower out since the first week in June. Grass is dormant. Weeds are struggling. All in all, it's great! I water the garden and it's doing spectacular, and I don't have to mow. I do feel bad for the folks who depend on rain for their crops.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:17 AM

3/4" and still raining lightly.

So awesome smile

Keck, I think your area is the driest in the state no?

I sure feel for those that depent on rains.
Ranchers/ Farmers.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:23 AM

Same for us as Zim said.
Posted By: Northernbeaver

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zim
Less than an inch at my house since May 1st.
Mighty dry.

Zim

In the same boat. Farmer won't even cut my fields. Corn is browning. Bees are making no honey. Need a lot of rain.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
smile
Need it SO badly.

We're like the Sahara
Posted By: run

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 12:11 PM

We are getting rain. Thankfully it's not a gully washer.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 12:18 PM

Been nice here last three days, been raining before that, hay crop definitely suffered from the dry May.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 12:22 PM

Just checked. Got 1 1/8"
My pumpkins/squash literally exploded in growth overtime.

Where bouts are you 330? Any predicted next few days?
Still calling for 2 more inches next couple days here. Billion $$ rains for the farmers/ranchers.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 12:40 PM

Just checked. Got 1 1/8"
My pumpkins/squash literally exploded in growth overtime.

Where bouts are you 330? Any predicted next few days?
Still calling for 2 more inches next couple days here. Billion $$ rains for the farmers/ranchers.

I'm just east of Pine City...off of 35

It's calling for it in a couple days
But we've been getting missed
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 01:23 PM

6 inches here since midday Monday

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 160user

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 01:59 PM

I am jealous! We haven't had more than a 1/10 inch in the last month. They are predicting rain over the weekend so I gambled and mowed the lawn yesterday. If we don't get rain the rest of it will die. I have had to keep carrying water to the apple trees. I would rather be fishing.
Posted By: Elkguy

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:32 PM

Lots of rain here lately. Was surprised to see frost this morning though, temp was right at 32.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:41 PM

We haven't had measurable rain in about a month. My grass is straw-colored. I have a yellow lawn. They are predicting rain for 6 days straight starting tomorrow which I will believe when I see it.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:52 PM

Locally we've been good with timely storms but it seems we're on island..
[Linked Image]

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
We haven't had measurable rain in about a month. My grass is straw-colored. I have a yellow lawn. They are predicting rain for 6 days straight starting tomorrow which I will believe when I see it.

That's how I feel
Posted By: MJM

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 02:57 PM

It has been dry here lately. We started out pretty good and then the rain was splitting and going around me at the house. Often with in a couple miles. We got 7/10s this morning about 02:00. I can see the lawn grew already. I would be glad to get that much more in a day or two. Bismarck got a big rain earlier in the week. I heard three inches plus.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 04:07 PM

The corn here is around ankle high and the beans are a little shorter than that.
There will be folks taking a pretty big hit if things do not change.
Glad I am not a farmer, this would drive me nuts if my income depended upon it.

Zim
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 07:13 PM

We have had 2 rains of .2 in over a month, two hills over they got 1 1/4 inches. been real spotty. Decent first crop hay, half a crop of oats and the corn is still taking it , starting to really show stress.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/22/23 07:28 PM

Had a few teasers for showers this year so far. My garden isn't doing very good inspite of watering it. The deer have been working it over pretty good at night. Guess it's about the greenest place around as our fields are burning up. Hope we get the rain they're predicting for the next few days, we need it!

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 05:04 PM

Bringing this one back up.

Mark seems this one is missing you folks again, it's cats and dogs down here... 3/4's of an inch so far or so.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 05:14 PM

I think were on the 7th. week with only one day of 1/8" of rain. Thaen the sun came out and it is gone. crazy

Crops are slow to grow.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 05:31 PM

We have been getting some here finally am seeing some standing water in a few places another good rain and we might get some runoff even. It’s very hit and miss one guy gets inch a guy not far away gets over two inches.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 06:08 PM

It was a tough winter, the deer and the fish took it hard and was thinking the birds got hammered as well but there seems to be some hope for them and timely rains has helped them. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
The corn here is around ankle high and the beans are a little shorter than that.
There will be folks taking a pretty big hit if things do not change.
Glad I am not a farmer, this would drive me nuts if my income depended upon it.

Zim

Y’all don’t have irrigation up there?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by grumley701
It was a tough winter, the deer and the fish took it hard and was thinking the birds got hammered as well but there seems to be some hope for them and timely rains has helped them. [Linked Image]

That goes along with some recent findings reported about quail chicks and nest. We probably got 8-12” in less than a two week period and according to radio collared quail; chicks and nest survived. Those that didn’t will renest, but that will reflect some lower numbers come quail season. We did have 3-4 hatches last year and yes, quail can and do raise 2-4 clutches over the nesting season. We’ve got first hatch birds flying already and last year I saw chicks that couldn’t even fly the third week of September. We’ll see how they numbers look during our survey.

Good news is our dove field (browntop millet) went from almost dying shortly after sprouting to a 6” or better chia pet looking field, lol. It’s also a deer magnet right now. Counted 40 something in the field the other evening.

Hoping we get to our “normal” summer time pattern with at least a chance of rain in the evenings…not flooding down pours, just some good afternoon thunderstorms.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 06:48 PM

sure, hope it comes here.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 07:06 PM

D3 drought here in my county. Not pretty. I have $200 of fertilizer in each of my big bales I made......not pretty at all. Blessed I do not have to count on my farm income to live. Neighbor I help told me yesterday - he is out $30k from no fescue seed to cut this year. My hay crop was 20% of last years - not 20% down - it was 20% of last years crop. Corn around me is starting to tassel and I am afraid pollination will not be too good. I have watched rains go 5 miles around here several times. Those of you that farm for a living - thank you and know that there are those of us praying for you in these times of poor weather. Last night I watched floods and t-storms in many states and I know around me, Kansas and Nebraska are still quite a few counties burning up....

One thing I have definitely noticed this year - weather coming from the east and northeast towards west central Missouri. This is bizarre and we can usually count on moisture coming up from the south west and moving northeast - not this year - its weird.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 07:16 PM

Got another 5/8"last night and it's been raining hard here since 9:30 this morning.
Supposed to go all day/night and into tomorrow afternoon.
Overall, about a 2_3" rain event.
Farmers here are feeling blessed for sure. And no Stormy weather with it.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
sure, hope it comes here.

It's just sitting here and spinning on us, Les looks to be getting some..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 09:06 PM

Just got home from work,3/4" so far,forecasting another 1" the crops will really use it up,barley is short but headed out,some wheat is just starting to head out.Beans vary from 8" to a foot high,rye grass will be pollenating some time next week,conola is blooming sunflowers are 18"to 24" corn is anywhere from 20" to 30".Yes a billion dollar rain period for sure.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 09:32 PM

Since Thursday, I've got 2 7/8 "inches.
Thank you Lord, now please send some elsewhere that needs it.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 09:44 PM

2.5 inches here since last night, enough for now. Wish some of you other folks that need it could get some.
Posted By: goldy

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 10:58 PM

Last significant rain we've had here was exactly 6 weeks ago. Owning a Christmas tree farm is getting depressing. Its four years in a row of severe drought during growing season for us. Even the big trees are wilting. I can only water so many trees, if it doesnt rain tonight Im going to have to make up my mind on which trees to let die.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 11:00 PM

Raining here pretty good, The food plot and garden love it

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/24/23 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by goldy
Last significant rain we've had here was exactly 6 weeks ago. Owning a Christmas tree farm is getting depressing. Its four years in a row of severe drought during growing season for us. Even the big trees are wilting. I can only water so many trees, if it doesnt rain tonight Im going to have to make up my mind on which trees to let die.

what part of the state is your tree farm? id love to support a fellow trapper and buy a tree this xmas if you're close

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 12:05 AM

We got nothin' in St. Cloud, same conditions as Goldy.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 12:35 AM

Wow .
Hard to believe you 2 missed out.
That sucks!
Posted By: goldy

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by MNTrapper21
Originally Posted by goldy

what part of the state is your tree farm? id love to support a fellow trapper and buy a tree this xmas if you're close

Zimmerman. Because of the droughts in recent years, we have been short of trees. We shut down early last year. We lost 500 trees to the drought we could have sold two years ago, this summer is looking like that again unless we get rain tonight. The growth on the salable sized trees will be miminal even if it does rain tonight.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 01:10 AM

Sorry to hear that goldy, one of the snowiest winters on record then no rain.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 01:48 AM

Dang Goldy, that a tough pill to swallow frown

Got another shot of rain about ready to start here.
Wish I could send it your way. We don't need anymore for awhile.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 02:07 AM

I’ll take some if you got extra. Haven’t had a measurable rain in our little area in well over a month, almost two now. We were below average last summer, then not much this fall and very little moisture during winter too. Pretty tough conditions here. Just about half hour north of us lincoln caught a couple real nice storms. We got nothing here.
Jim

In trying to find the bright side in this…it ain’t hard to find bone dry dirt for sifting and putting it up for waxing later. Might as well take advantage of that I guess.I hand water only the plants in my garden, not the soil around everything.
[Linked Image]

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 02:13 AM

Dang jabne, I truly feel for you all. frown
We just got put into a t storm warning cry
Went from Brite sun 1/2 hour ago to almost pitch black now.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 10:04 AM

Had a very good rain 1.8" for the last 3 days,with a chance of a little more today.The farmers are happy.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 10:48 AM

Finally

Two days of Rain
Cows are happy and We are too
Posted By: MJM

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 11:32 AM

Nothing here since the other day. I keep hoping for another shot of rain. It shows a 40% chance of a thunder storm Tuesday and Wednesday. Those seem to have been skirting me so far.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 11:53 AM

Glad you got some rain. Here in my area of Nebr I have gotten about 1" or less almost all spring, hardly any snow before that. It's pretty ugly right here. Keep praying for rain, I know it will come someday.
Posted By: Big Possum

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 12:29 PM

Awful dry here. .07 inch in last 5 weeks. Supposed to get a good rain last night but ended up with .12 so now up to .19 since middle of May. Crops are burning up.

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 12:30 PM

.75" yesterday but could use much more

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 12:33 PM

Well, it appears we got a little shot overnight. Somewhere around .75-1". Might get a little more before the day's out.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 12:41 PM

Woke up to light showers this morning. Hope it sticks around for awhile.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 12:49 PM

Haven't watered the garden in 4 weeks ..leaves on some plants are turning yellow
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 01:02 PM

1 1/4 last nite, not a drought breaker, but buys us some time. I think for some of the corn it is already too late.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 01:12 PM

We've had 3.4 inches total year to date 2023
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
1 1/4 last nite, not a drought breaker, but buys us some time. I think for some of the corn it is already too late.

I was talking to a couple crop production experts and they said much of the dryland corn in my area is hurt too bad to produce an ear even if it starts to rain. Beans aren't much better. Pastures are pretty much done and old alfalfa was not even worth cutting in some places. Cattle sales at the local barn are brisk... lots of culling of herds going on. The local NRD is monitoring water levels in irrigation wells closely and have put a moratorium on new wells in this basin. However it sounds like western Nebr has some decent moisture... at least in some areas.
Posted By: RHuff

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 06/25/23 01:38 PM

Got a good shower this morning rain gauge shows 3/4 of an inch which is only the second rain in the last 7 weeks. This was spread across a large area which the farmers really needed. My garden is looking good but I have had to water it every other day. Forecast says a chance of rain for the next two days.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 03:24 AM

[Quote/Goldy]Last significant rain we've had here was exactly 6 weeks ago. Owning a Christmas tree farm is getting depressing. Its four years in a row of severe drought during growing season for us. Even the big trees are wilting. I can only water so many trees, if it doesnt rain tonight Im going to have to make .. Because of the droughts in recent years, we have been short of trees. We shut down early last year. We lost 500 trees to the drought we could have sold two years ago, this summer is looking like that again unless we get rain tonight. The growth on the salable sized trees will be miminal even if it does rain tonight. [/quote]

I bet this year has proven terrible for people that planted christmas trees this spring
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 03:39 AM

Rained last night cleared up early morning then started up after lunch and has been a good steady rain should help the food plot.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Rained last night cleared up early morning then started up after lunch and has been a good steady rain should help the food plot.

Such rain would be good for the oodles of white oak acorns I've been planting this month

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 09:50 AM

smile
Need it SO badly.

Happy for You

dry here
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 09:52 AM

we are dry here also; pond is down 8 foot.
Posted By: run

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 11:08 AM

We're supposed to get rain tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it comes down slowly.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 11:22 AM

I think we're down about 7" below normal but we might catch up this week:

Attached picture Screenshot_20230922-072020.png

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 11:54 AM

Got 1/2" yesterday. First rain since August 4th.

All my foodplots are terrible looking. Hoping for more rain/ late frost.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 01:11 PM

Been dry here . But my little plot in the woods looks AWSOME ! One time the shade comes in handy is if it is hot and dry [Linked Image]
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Rain. Thank you Lord - 09/22/23 01:14 PM

It has improved but we still need more. Hope everyone else gets the rain they need.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums