Home

Trap shed heat

Posted By: Ed Patrick

Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 11:58 AM

Thinking about options to heat my new shed, 20x20 with 10' ceiling. I have a old wood stove but before cutting a hole through the new metal roof or out the side wall thought I ask what others use and pros and cons if you don't mind. Thank you.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 12:04 PM

wood is the best [imo]
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 12:05 PM

stay away from ventless lp heater!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 12:17 PM

Wood stoves take up a considerable amount of space is the problem and caution should be taken to prevent fires from several possibilities. They also require constant tending to the fire taking away work/rest time. I run an extra pump off of my boiler but I already had a boiler. I’ve run ventless LP heaters 30,000 with a blower before and a old LP furnace out of a mobile home before it’s all what you come across during your search.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 01:07 PM

Wood heat is dry better then propane.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 02:39 PM

I know everybody says stay away from ventless LP and I know they do put a lot of moisture in the air. But I run one in my wood shop and in my fur shed and I’ve never had any issues with it. The air in winter when I’m running the heaters is already very dry. And I’m not running the heater in the fur shed all the time.

Normally, when I come back from the mornings check, I turn the heater on and then me and my partner go have breakfast while the shed warms up. We go out, skin, flesh and board the mornings catch, flip any furs that need it and take care of anything else that needs taken care of. Then we’re done. The heater goes off until the evening or the next morning. I run a fan on my furs and they dry even when it’s freezing out. I only heat the shed when I’m in there. I really like the convenience of a gas heater. Wood is my primary source of heat in my home and in my camp and I really don’t need to be building more fires every day.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 02:44 PM

You don't need a lot of heat in your shed. Just need it long enough to keep you comfortable and thaw out frozen animals if needed. You don't need it running 24/7
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 03:20 PM

A dehumidifier Is your best friend In the fur shed. Get the moisture out and things dry a lot better
with or without heat..
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 07:38 PM

I have to say, I had a 12' X 20' fur shed for years that was heated by 1 6' - 220V Electric baseboard heater. No extra moisture, thermostat controlled and pretty darn cheap to run. I didn't have time, nor did It want to waste my bad back chopping/hauling wood. Didn't have to worry about burning the place down either.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 08:04 PM

I have fans running during the fur season to keep the air moving at all times.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 08:38 PM

Wood pellet stove. Stove gets cleaned twice a week. Minimum of two fans.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I have to say, I had a 12' X 20' fur shed for years that was heated by 1 6' - 220V Electric baseboard heater. No extra moisture, thermostat controlled and pretty darn cheap to run. I didn't have time, nor did It want to waste my bad back chopping/hauling wood. Didn't have to worry about burning the place down either.

This. Heat on demand at a CONSTANT temp without screwing with a wood stove.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Trap shed heat - 06/19/23 11:51 PM

Where I do my skinning and putting fur up isn't quite that big. I picked up a couple of baseboard electric heat. It stays pretty consistent and does the job. No wood cutting or lp.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums