Home

Hydraulics question

Posted By: white17

Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 07:09 PM

Do you guys use any type of anti-foaming additive in your hydraulic systems ? My fluid is foaming in my splitter. Never seen that before. No leaks anywhere in the system
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 07:16 PM

Hydraulic oil has anti foam additives in it. sucking air somewhere would be my guess. Maybe suction side of pump system?
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 07:17 PM

I have not found the need and have only experienced foaming when the fluid level is low.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 07:17 PM

I have heard water can cause foam also

with as much water as my splitter collected in the gas tank , wouldn't surprise me if the oil tank wouldn't get some

I had a block of ice in my gas tank last winter I figure a lot of freeze thaw and freezing rain and rain and a poorly designed gas tank
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 07:30 PM

A scratched surface in the pump will do just that.

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Hydraulic oil has anti foam additives in it. sucking air somewhere would be my guess. Maybe suction side of pump system?

That is what I thought too but I can't find anywhere that it is leaking. I would think that if air is going IN.....fluid would be coming OUT. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Stored under cover all winter. I suppose condensation in the reservoir is a possibility but you would think the filter would remove that.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 07:54 PM

Hope this is ok but saw your post and it reminded me never said thanks on the advice about the Voltaren , it really works.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 08:25 PM

ATF would work good. Make sure it is dexron 2 rated as new stuff has friction modifiers
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 08:32 PM

Some hydraulic fluids foam more than others. I tried a TSC brand in my splitter and it was unusable because it instantly turned into whipped cream. I changed it to the stuff that I use in my tractor and now it works just fine. If you like, I'll dig up the can of the stuff I use now don't have the numbers and such in my head )
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Yes sir

That is what I thought too but I can't find anywhere that it is leaking. I would think that if air is going IN.....fluid would be coming OUT. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Stored under cover all winter. I suppose condensation in the reservoir is a possibility but you would think the filter would remove that.

All the Hydraulic filters I've dealt with where particulate filters only. Most seals are designed to hold pressure in and a vacuum can suck air past a seal once in awhile. Might see if u have a screen or filter in reservoir that could be getting plugged causing more vacuum on the suction side than normal. I've seen some funny things while working in Hydraulics for 15 years.
Posted By: Guss

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 08:38 PM

That happend to me a few years ago when a line broke.
Posted By: Stewie

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/01/23 10:52 PM

I wouldn't think the Ol' Blisters ax would need any hydraulic oil.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/02/23 11:07 AM

need some jellly to pour in it

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/02/23 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Some hydraulic fluids foam more than others. I tried a TSC brand in my splitter and it was unusable because it instantly turned into whipped cream. I changed it to the stuff that I use in my tractor and now it works just fine. If you like, I'll dig up the can of the stuff I use now don't have the numbers and such in my head )

Thanks ! I'd appreciate having that information

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/02/23 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by cotton
need some jellly to pour in it

I need it to function.....not be comatose ! laugh

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/02/23 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by rex123
Hope this is ok but saw your post and it reminded me never said thanks on the advice about the Voltaren , it really works.

Glad to hear that it helped !!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Hydraulics question - 06/02/23 06:48 PM

In my end dump semi trailer I use the store brand sold at Orshelins. Its cheaper than a lot of it and works fine.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums