Home

Help me finish my trap shed - another ? added

Posted By: Ed Patrick

Help me finish my trap shed - another ? added - 05/29/23 05:18 PM

Built a 20x20 shed with vaulted ceiling for adequate height for power skinning machine. Concrete floor. 2x6 walls. Going to finish the walls and ceiling this summer. Was contemplating my options. Insulation? Drywall vs plywood walls/ceiling. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Used R19 to insulate the walls covered with OSB. Need to tackle the vaulted ceiling next. Do you think R19 is sufficient for the ceiling? I know if it was a home I would need R38 but it's strictly a trapper shed.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 05:21 PM

I insulated mine and just used plywood walls. Been happy with that. Sounds like a nice building.
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 06:05 PM

White tin walls and ceiling. Better lighting and easy to wash, Definitely insulate.
Posted By: Salthunter

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 06:10 PM

Plywood or OSB
My barn/shop has OSB and the hayshed, boat tractor shed has pained OSB OSB is about $1.00 more per sheet right now,,, and no taping, and doesnt damage like drywall.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 06:12 PM

Unless the building is going to be heated year-round, I would avoid drywall unless you don’t plan on finishing it. I built a new wood shop about four years ago, insulated the heck out of it and used half-inch BC sanded plywood for the interior walls.

I don’t heat it all winter but when I’m doing glue ups and stuff that needs heat overnight it’s easy to keep about 55° in there even in single-digit temps.

My 12 x 16 fur shed is uninsulated and is just bare studs inside. My new one, when I get around the building it, will be insulated and probably have the same plywood on the interior walls.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 06:13 PM

Insulation increases your heating options the smaller the heat source the more room you will have, that winch will take up some room. Think fold out fleshing beam and even work benches to increase elbow room. Rafter storage for the seasonal equipment and even a garage door is a great bonus for cold weather repairs. Shelving helps to organize the shed just don’t box the room in by crowding yourself. Plastex brand paneling makes for easy clean up just glue it over OSB. Last time I checked OSB was very cheap compared to a year ago so load up on some of that.

Lights make skinning easier the older you get the more light you will need if your on a budget light up the skinning area more, lots of good lighting options out there so figure what you plan on using before you put up the fixtures. Rafter stretcher hooks and a fan system is nice
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 06:49 PM

Great advice Jerry!
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 07:51 PM

My 16x20 is insulated and sheeted with osb. I've got vaulted ceiling as well that I added a 10' mezzanine deck that I plan on using for bunk space when I got hunting company. For the ceiling I'm using rough sawn 1x6. The 1x6 looks good but because it's not dimensional I have to cut every one to length. I like the osb and 1x6 because if I want to put a nail in the wall I can without ruining the dry wall.

I've got a 440 lb electric hoist bolted to the ridge beam that works pretty slick.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 09:11 PM

I'd use 1/2 cdx ply over osb. It takes primer/paint better.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 09:15 PM

I insulated mine but didn't finish the walls. Sure is handy to add plugs as needed. Use studs to mount things. Just put vapor barrier out to inside
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 09:48 PM

Use barn wood after insulating. Cheap,natural,who cares if it gets a little bloody
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Broomchaser
White tin walls and ceiling. Better lighting and easy to wash, Definitely insulate.

X2
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/29/23 11:44 PM

Sell barn lumber it wood take to finish and build a new house

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 05/30/23 12:14 AM

Appreciate everyone's input. Looking forward to getting it done.

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 06/24/23 08:27 PM

Ended up using R19 insulation covered w OSB. Need to tackle the vaulted ceiling next. Do you think R19 is enough for the ceiling? It's strictly a trapper shed. I know if it were a house I would need something more substantial.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 06/24/23 08:49 PM

You’re going to be working in that shed so cooler is not a bad thing, you can always paint that OSB white to brighten up the room.

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 06/24/23 10:09 PM

R19 aint perfect but in a small area, it'll be fine. (Roof)
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 06/25/23 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
R19 aint perfect but in a small area, it'll be fine. (Roof)

This. You can also add a vapor barrier.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 06/25/23 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
You’re going to be working in that shed so cooler is not a bad thing, you can always paint that OSB white to brighten up the room.

I like this idea- I'm renovating my fur shed interior and exterior. In my tackle garage I used 7/16 OSB that already had FRP attached, I ran it below and track wall above. It brightens everything up and cleans up easily and I plan to do the same on fur shed walls and ceiling.
[Linked Image]

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 06/25/23 12:03 PM

Looks nice EagleEye.

Very organized.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Help me finish my trap shed - 06/25/23 12:09 PM

If you place FRP panels over existing OSB or other- please use the recommended adhesive. I've seen guys use liquid nails and construction adhesive and it shows through really bad after all the cost and hard work.
I think there's two schools of thought- pick a covering that hides dirt and leave it or shows dirt and clean it... I try to be in the 2nd group.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums