Home

Weed control in asparagus?

Posted By: Gary Benson

Weed control in asparagus? - 05/20/23 02:36 PM

I have access to a patch that has grass and dandelions in it. Any way to kill that stuff this time of year?
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Weed control in asparagus? - 05/20/23 02:41 PM

Gotta follow this, wife just made me plant a bunch for her and it's already getting weedy.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Weed control in asparagus? - 05/20/23 04:13 PM

i used leftover rock salt from winter. This year I used water softener salt pellets, disolve in 2 or rains and seems to work as good or better than rock salt.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Weed control in asparagus? - 05/20/23 04:38 PM

No need to mess with it. It grows everywhere here in the country road ditches without humans messing with it. Once it gets established it will grow densely enough to block out weed growth. I’ll try and remember to send pics of our “patch that has no maintenance and is now around its twelfth year of growth. It is impressive to say the least, and only time I touch it is to harvest at this time of year and after snow melt I cut last years growth and burn it on top of the bed.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Weed control in asparagus? - 05/20/23 06:44 PM

The fence row, wild asparagus seems to do much better at crowding out weeds than any of the domestic varieties, that just are not as good at competing. I wish I dug up some back when I had access to it.

Keith
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Weed control in asparagus? - 05/21/23 05:36 AM

Salt
Posted By: 1oldforester

Re: Weed control in asparagus? - 05/23/23 10:37 PM

I have a problem with "runner grass" in my garden area. Don't know the correct name, but it spreads by white underground runners. No matter how hard I try I just can't get all the runners out, so the grass just keeps coming back. Broadleaf weeds I can pull, but not the grass.

As much as I dislike using chemicals, this is one exception. CLETHODIM It is sold under several brand names. Poast is one, and Grassout is the one I buy at Tractor supply here. In a week the grass is brown and in two weeks it is dead and no longer a problem. It will not kill any broadleaf weeds but will kill corn, so be careful. A little goes a long way, and it stores from year to year.

You may not like using a bunch of chemicals, I shure don't, but make this exception. Other weeds I just pull.
Posted By: old243

Re: Weed control in asparagus? - 05/24/23 12:28 AM

We call that twitch grass. old243
Posted By: snowy

Re: Weed control in asparagus? - 05/24/23 02:40 AM

I picked a bunch of it today again. I pull the weeds or use a shovel and just keep clearing the area. Mine is wild along a crick an the grass and weeds are a problem, but I get a pretty good crop each year.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Weed control in asparagus? - 05/24/23 03:26 AM

I did something by error this year blut it may be a real plus. My asparagus last year really got set back by our winter I do believe. I decided to get the big rotor tiller out (tractor mount) and start over. Wow the asparugus is coming through huge and right now there are no weeds. I will transplant to get where I want and keep the weeds. Back Last year the bed was very poor and today it is clean and growing well.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums