Home

Orioles

Posted By: Tray

Orioles - 05/15/23 01:24 AM

Orioles are migrating thru right now a a few will stick around for the summer and nest, We have 12-15 coming into the jelly feeder right now so lots of activity. We get both Baltimore and Orchard Orioles here. This is a mixture of different plumages of both, first year males don’t have the full color that adult birds get.

Pictures really don’t show the true beauty and color of these birds.

Attached picture A2124B1F-68A1-455E-8B25-6DB2E548DAC9.jpeg
Attached picture C9C0D75F-39E6-4F64-9492-E783F70EB6AF.jpeg
Attached picture FF17073D-8AD5-46CD-9281-11EB3D53D5DF.jpeg
Attached picture B5D05F3B-96A4-44BC-A837-33DA5E3879E9.jpeg
Attached picture EC6F8AEA-DEBF-4FBE-9136-C15E1D448D5A.jpeg
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 01:35 AM

Once again impressive. Delivered a wood stove to a friend in south east Mo and saw the first bluebird I seen in a few years. Keep the pictures coming
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 02:26 AM

They come here for a week or
2 in the spring to the birdfeeder only to totally dissappear untill next spring.
Nice to see them.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 02:30 AM

Heard my first one of B oriole today in Williams Minn
Rose Breasted Grosbeaks and Scarlet Tanager as well as 12 other species
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 11:13 AM

Yes the Baltimore oriole is a stunning bird with it's contrasting black and orange coloring.Thefew I have ever seen are easy to spot due to the bright feathering. Thanks for posting
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 11:51 AM

We have been jellying them for a while as well.......I really enjoy them, I think even more than the hummingbirds.

We tie a bit of orange surveying tape out on a sheperds hook for holding potted plants and hang some bowls of jelly. they come right in and eat but also run off one another like the hummingbirds
Posted By: cpizzicharlie

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 11:52 AM

Great stuff, look forward to each of your posts, thanks.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 12:08 PM

Nice photos
They've been here only a few days now.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 12:57 PM

I had both Baltimore and Orchard Orioles nest at the house for the first time last year. I have seen more of them this year than ever before. I used 2/3 rds a 32 oz jar of jelly in three days. I am trying to keep them fed hoping they stay and nest again. Today is day four for them being here.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 02:12 PM

I caught one that flew into the garage yesterday. Not sure of the variety. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tatiana

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 03:31 PM

Our Golden orioles (the "true" orioles, belonging to the family Oriolidae) are bigger and tricky to spot and photograph because they stay high up in tree crowns in mature birch forests most of the time, so it's seriously cropped pictures or nothing. But they are LOUD! They're also the most "tropical"-looking and sounding of our birds and are the latest to arrive from Southeast Asia, usually in June. Males are brilliant yellow and black and females are greenish. They build interesting woven nests out of thin strips of birch "paper" (also rarely seen).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 04:00 PM

Beautiful birds and shots, all.

Thank you for sharing them.
Posted By: Tray

Re: Orioles - 05/15/23 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tatiana
Our Golden orioles (the "true" orioles, belonging to the family Oriolidae) are bigger and tricky to spot and photograph because they stay high up in tree crowns in mature birch forests most of the time, so it's seriously cropped pictures or nothing. But they are LOUD! They're also the most "tropical"-looking and sounding of our birds and are the latest to arrive from Southeast Asia, usually in June. Males are brilliant yellow and black and females are greenish. They build interesting woven nests out of thin strips of birch "paper" (also rarely seen).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very interesting, thanks for posting those pictures. If it wasn’t for them coming to the feeders mine would be difficult to get quality photos.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums