Home

dc electric question

Posted By: ol' dad

dc electric question - 04/18/23 02:41 PM

If I have a 4 amp hour 24v battery and step it down to run 12 volt led lights, does it increase the amp hour (run time)?

Thanks

Ol' dad
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: dc electric question - 04/18/23 03:00 PM

How are you going to step a 24v battery down to 12v?

Typically the more batteries you add make it last longer two 12 volt batteries in parallel last longer than one 12 volt battery but I'm not sure that's what you are asking.
Posted By: Tim64

Re: dc electric question - 04/18/23 03:29 PM

If you are reducing the voltage with a DC to DC converter you will also increase the run time. If you are simply trying to power the 12v lights with the 24v battery you will increase resistance and burn the lights out.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: dc electric question - 04/18/23 04:04 PM

A lot of equipment lights run on 12 to 24 volts. No parasitic loss
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: dc electric question - 04/18/23 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tim64
If you are reducing the voltage with a DC to DC converter you will also increase the run time. If you are simply trying to power the 12v lights with the 24v battery you will increase resistance and burn the lights out.

Tim, thanks. That is what I'm doing. I have some extra 24v lithium ion power tool batteries that i don't use. I currently power my 12v cargo trailer lights with a deep cycle marine battery. I bought a 24v to 12v step down converter and plan to power them with a 4 amp hour 24 volt battery. ( I can eliminate the 80lb deep cycle) Each of the three lights only draw .25 amps, so my question is will I have 5.33 hours of run time, or will it increase since I'm lowering the voltage?

ol dad
Posted By: Tim64

Re: dc electric question - 04/18/23 08:15 PM

It will increase run time but It will not double due to some slight power losses with the use of the converter.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums