Home

18,000 cows dead in explosion

Posted By: Cragar

18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 01:22 AM

Talk about Holy cow......... eek

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-da...00-cattle-dead-person-critically-injured
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 01:26 AM

This is why we shouldn't concentrate food production to only a few sites. That is a serious amount of milk production offline.
Posted By: warrior

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 01:31 AM

We joke about cow farts but it was cow farts that did that. Concentrated cow farts.

Donner has a valid point.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
This is why we shouldn't concentrate food production to only a few sites. That is a serious amount of milk production offline.

That is not the problem -- any bets that they had a "green energy" methane digester on the property -- gov't money caused another problem -- imagine that. grin
Posted By: Boco

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 01:37 AM

Savell will be on his way over there when he smells the meat burnin.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 01:46 AM

Imagine the sorrow in India tonight.
Posted By: Savell

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 01:49 AM

…Thank goodness it wasn’t a man

[Linked Image]

… you’d think they’d have worded it a little different lol
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 01:52 AM

"Only a Woman" crazy ..Lol !!
Posted By: TC1

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by H2ORat

That is not the problem -- any bets that they had a "green energy" methane digester on the property -- gov't money caused another problem -- imagine that. grin

Bingo, winner, winner. Who’da thunk!!! Lol

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by H2ORat

Food production is concentrated because of govt policy, both subsidized production and subsidized labor. It's a problem, cv19 proved that.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 02:30 AM

We never had those problems pre Green!!!
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 03:40 AM

That's one heck of a cow fart.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 04:25 AM

Donner -- how about banks, insurance and healthcare --same issues -- same gov money and regulation -- seeing a connection? There was a huge problem before c19. c19 just dumbed it down so most everyone could understand it.
Posted By: buster916

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 10:47 AM

donner you have no clue what you are talking about government policy ?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by buster916

Yes, dairy is subsidized by gubmint. I can't help but think those numbers are inflated. That's alot of cows.

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by buster916

Farms grew this large due to illegal labor, they outcompeated their neighbors and bought them out because of it. Using illegal labor to produce a subsidized product is exactly why food has become concentrated and why family farms where the owner actually milks cows are gone.

Illegals don't pay taxes, their health care and education for their kids is free, illegal labor is subsidized labor.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 11:22 AM

I’m not a conspiracy nut but it sure seems like there has been a lot of incidents like this at food production and processing plants the last couple years.

It’s a miracle no one was killed. I feel for the owners. 18,000 cows is a mid 20 million or more dollar loss.

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 11:26 AM

Maybe an environmental terrorist from NY..
Posted By: Cragar

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by elkaholic
That's one heck of a cow fart.

Good wisecrack.......lol
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
I’m not a conspiracy nut but it sure seems like there has been a lot of incidents like this at food production and processing plants the last couple years.

It’s a miracle no one was killed. I feel for the owners. 18,000 cows is a mid 20 million or more dollar loss.

The owners, probly a corporation from california.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 11:57 AM

I am a bit skeptical. 18000 head of dairy cattle is a big operation. There should have been people all over the place. Especially in the milking barn. Operations that big are milking 24 hours a day. Yet only one human injured? I wonder about the methane thing too. How did O2 get into the tank? I think maybe more to the story is going to come out.

Plenty of big dairies in the panhandle's of TX and OK also western KS and eastern N.M. Our milk supply won't take a big hit over it
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 12:03 PM

I agree Danny. Doesn’t make sense that only one person was hurt. I would have guessed 10-15 employees with that many head. Something is off
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 12:08 PM

Danny if their milking with robotics. Could easily explain only one person on site.

Mac
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 12:18 PM

Very likely Diggerman. As far as I know basically all of those huge dairies are California money. A buddy of mine worked s summer when we were in college building improvements on a new one. Anyway, the owner supposedly said he could buy an acre in western Kansas or eastern New Mexico for what he had sold a square foot for in California.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 12:23 PM

Just Wow
Posted By: trapperbless

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 12:52 PM

With the current dairy market, that’s about 30 M loss just in cattle loss. One of the dairy industry guys I work with says the total loss is $200 M minimum. I don’t know what type of setup they had in the barn but robotics and such would definitely raise that number

We have a small herd but I did some quick math. If they avg 80 lbs per day, they make as much milk in 1 day as we do in an entire year. That’s a lot of milk
Posted By: run

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/13/23 04:13 PM

I could care less about the cows. But hopefully the woman recovers quickly.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 01:06 AM

Will have to wait for the full report. 18000 cows milke even 2 times per day is 36K milkings per day. Even 1 84 stall rotory parlor can handle 450 cows per hour with 4-5 milking team members. If they need to shut down 1 hour per day to clean the on rotory parlor milks about 10K of cows. So two of those. If 3x milking you would need 3 84 stall rotory parlors and there would be 10-20 persons on site let alone people hauling milk feeding etc. etc. Each robot can handle about 70 cows 3 times per day so 18k of cows would need over 250 robots. That would be a huge space. We don't know if these were all lactating cows or milking and dry cows and or calves or heifers. Far too little information as of yet. As to subsidized by the government. Very large operations get very few direct subsidies for milk, especially at those sizes. The subsidies do come through for the subsidized crops that cows are fed, corn, barley etc. The last two years there have been hardly any subsidy payments as prices have been above trigger levels.

Today it costs about $20 per hundred weight to produce milk and prices are down. This area of Texas has had real recent and rapid expansion which means there could be a lot of debt to cover along with buying all the more expensive feeds while prices are falling near the break even levels.

Bryce

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 02:12 AM

I talked to my Afi rep today and He said he was in that barn 3 weeks ago. They milked in 2 110 stall rotory parlors. He didn’t say if they were on 2x or 3x. The facility was only a few years old and could house up to 22,000 milking cows. He didn’t say whether it contained dry cows or not
The owner has 7 farms and milks approximately 60,000 cows
Posted By: Dale Brehe

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 03:53 AM

I try to not wade in on stuff like this. But feeling sympathy for the investors in mega size dairy operations that have destroyed countless family operations by milk marketing agreements is not part of my value set. I feel sorry for all of the workers and pray for the injured. I even feel sorry for the cows! But the merchants of greed that justify their actions by the religion of economies of scale cannot go bankrupt one day too soon for me. If you buy Great Value brand milk at Wal-Mart you support these wolves masquerading as human beings. Food production in this country needs to be decentralized for any number of reasons including socio-economic and environmental. Covid should have revealed that any system that has all the efficiencies wrung out of it will not be very resilient in the face of adversity. And this is coming from a guy with a degree in Ag Econ.
Posted By: buster916

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 09:34 AM

I'm not sure any business that grows to monster size is driven by greed lotta different reasons. There was a thread on greed here bit ago very interesting

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 10:19 AM

Food production in this country needs to be decentralized for any number of reasons including socio-economic and environmental. Covid should have revealed that any system that has all the efficiencies wrung out of it will not be very resilient in the face of adversity. And this is coming from a guy with a degree in Ag Econ.

Hi Dale. Good post

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 10:21 AM

I still say there is a Paul Harvey version of that story. 18000 head of livestock and one human causality aint adding up.

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I still say there is a Paul Harvey version of that story. 18000 head of livestock and one human causality aint adding up.

My feelings too. Milk just ain't that explosive.

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by trapperbless
I talked to my Afi rep today and He said he was in that barn 3 weeks ago. They milked in 2 110 stall rotory parlors. He didn’t say if they were on 2x or 3x. The facility was only a few years old and could house up to 22,000 milking cows. He didn’t say whether it contained dry cows or not
The owner has 7 farms and milks approximately 60,000 cows

Thank you for the info.

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 11:28 AM

At this point they're saying "overheated equipment". Maybe a green energy skidsteer battery?

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 12:41 PM

Smoke inhalation is what killed the cows. That's the rumor from the street.

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 12:55 PM

rumor from the street.

What does that mean? Its rural panhandle TX. Mile after mile of flat no people country.

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 01:01 PM

I have been to the Texas panhandle. My brother is a dairy farmer and he said smoke inhalation is what killed the cows. I understand what you are trying to say, Danny. Hopefully that makes sense.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 01:09 PM

Explosion caused possibly by methane gas????

Re: 18,000 cows dead in explosion - 04/14/23 04:55 PM

From my source- They aren’t 100% sure. The two reports are that methane built up in the cross vent and it exploded. The other report is that a honey vac caught on fire in the cross vent and it just rapidly expanded.

Time will tell once it’s all investigated
© 2024 Trapperman Forums