Home

Putting down a dog

Posted By: yotetrapper30

Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 05:42 AM

How do you do it?

I'm sure most of you remember my post about Dixie. Well, she's still alive but not for much longer I'm afraid. $5000+ and the best brains at Auburn, MS State, and Texas couldn't figure out how to save her, I guess.

I'm not doing it until I talk to the vet next week, but I expect him to agree that she's to the point of not being able to be saved.

Most people take their dogs to the vet for a shot, but she HATES the vet and I'd hate for her last memory to be scared at the vet's office.

In my mind's eye I'd like to take her for a long walk, let her tree a squirrel and shoot her while she's treeing but I'm pretty positive I'd not be able to pull the trigger.

My husband said he wouldn't like it, but he COULD pull the trigger which may seem to be the best option?

I know a lot of you have had to put down dogs that weren't just dogs.... but friends. How did you all choose to do it?
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 05:45 AM

Im lucky i work with a couple of vets on a regular basis and when ive been faced with this they came to the house and took care of them for me with no stress for the dog. Ill keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Osagan

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 05:55 AM

By my own hand. I didn't want others around to see my emotions plus the ordeal of loading her up and bringing her home. I pre-dug the hole and buried her here on the place.
It's tough.
GB your decision.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 06:24 AM

You have two good options outlined above. I’ve had the vet come to my house before also…not for the dogs sake but my own. I get attached to my top performing hounds and it’s an emotional mess when it comes to the end. More common every day hounds get the green mile to the hole.

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 06:32 AM

I don't know if my vet will do housecalls, but it was my first thought also.
Posted By: nate

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 06:39 AM

Either way sucks, but in the end and in time you'll feel good you done the right thing. Time does have a way of healing. Will pray for your husband and you.

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

It just costs more…and at this point, it seems like a little more won’t matter.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 07:03 AM

Not an easy thing to do, but I have a .22 Deringer, and a box of .22 short, low velocity shells in the safe strictly for dog use. If I take care of a dog it's whole life, I feel obligated to take care of them that final time, not something I want a stranger to do. 10 dogs out back under the grass, and 2 on top.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 08:59 AM

Vet at home,less stress for my friends.
Posted By: randall brannon

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 09:28 AM

When Lass my wifes Miniature Collie passed we had the vet come out and do it. First she gave her a sleeping Shot then the ending one. My wife and I were there and it was better that way. She was 17 and in pain.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 09:54 AM

Sad to hear about your dog not getting better but at home if possible is the best way. We get very close to our family pets. I have put a few of my own down and it is always very difficult and emotionally stressful. But I am not one to see a animal suffering. Whatever you decide to do all your friends here are thinking of you.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 10:06 AM

I am real sorry to hear about your dog. I have had to shoot a couple in my life. I liked em too much not to. I dont think about it a lot cause I get wet eyes. Seems like the right thing to do is the hard thing pretty often in this world.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 10:23 AM

the last few dogs we had , I took for a walk ,
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 10:44 AM

Sadly most of my friends call me, their buddy that traps. I tell them to dig the plot They walk back with me, say their goodbyes and leave it for me to handle. I will cover the dog up or they can. I'm sorry you have to do this. Dispatch is with a .22
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 10:55 AM

WE have a vet that will come to the calm of your home. Check around. It is always hard on you to put a dog down. Give Dixie a treat and a pat on the head for me.
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 11:00 AM

I like the treein' a squirrel idea. had an old springer spaniel that went a similar way. she'll be there waggin her stubby tail I like to think when I get to the gate. it's terrible either way, steel yourself, this too will pass.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 11:02 AM

How do you do it?

I'm sure most of you remember my post about Dixie. Well, she's still alive but not for much longer I'm afraid. $5000+ and the best brains at Auburn, MS State, and Texas couldn't figure out how to save her, I guess.

I'm not doing it until I talk to the vet next week, but I expect him to agree that she's to the point of not being able to be saved.

Most people take their dogs to the vet for a shot, but she HATES the vet and I'd hate for her last memory to be scared at the vet's office.

In my mind's eye I'd like to take her for a long walk, let her tree a squirrel and shoot her while she's treeing but I'm pretty positive I'd not be able to pull the trigger.

My husband said he wouldn't like it, but he COULD pull the trigger which may seem to be the best option?

I know a lot of you have had to put down dogs that weren't just dogs.... but friends. How did you all choose to do it?

I allowed our previous dog to suffer way too long. He couldn’t even walk, so I put him in a wheel barrow and pushed him around the farm one more time. We stopped at the barn and I retrieved a rifle. Coming out I was behind him, I did the deed and then just held him until it was finished. It was a tough day.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 11:26 AM

How do you do it?

When I was younger and the time came I would dig the grave, we have a pet cemetery on our property. I'd give them a good last meal or their favorite treat if they wanted it then I'd take them down to the grave site by the edge of the woods and spend some time with them before shooting them with a shot that guaranteed instant death.

I told my wife several years ago I no longer wanted to do it that way, it got emotionally too hard on me.

Our second last dog to die passed unexpectedly so I was spared.

Out last dog to pass was the most beloved pet we've had in my fifty-plus years of owning them. Shadow was my daughter's dog but lived in my house most of his long life. I made it clear that I wasn't going to do it the old way. My daughter arranged for a vet to come out one evening. Shadow and his whole family (me, my wife and three daughters) were going to gather on the edge of our pond, the pond he loved to swim and hunt frogs in. The vet was going to give him the injection there.

The evening before that was supposed to happen, as I was going to bed, I lay down beside Shadow on his dog bed in the living room. We stared into each other's eyes for a long time and we both knew the time was very near. I told him goodbye and that he was such a good dog. Later that night/early the next morning I got up to go to the bathroom and passed near the living room. I paused to listen and could no longer hear him breathing. I knew he was gone. Later that morning I called my youngest and told her. She came up to say her goodbyes and we buried him in the pet cemetery.

It's been years now and I'm still getting all misty as I type this.

Anyhow, if you can find a vet in your area that will perform that service I believe it is the bast way. And I agree with you about going to the vet. My dogs hate going to the vet, I would never want to subject them to that sort of stress and anxiety in their last hour.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 11:43 AM

I've done it both ways, both suck.
And it's cumulative.
Gets harder every time.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 11:55 AM

Man, this is a depressive thread! Sorry you're having to deal with this, yotetrapper. Probably the easiest route for you guys is to have the vet come to you if possible.
Posted By: corky

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 12:15 PM

I would have the vet do it, preferably in your woods. I'm getting soft in my old age and don't think I could pull the trigger anymore.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 12:17 PM

Don't do it near where the other dogs live, they can smell death.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 12:21 PM

For the first of our Rottweilers to get cancer the vet came to the house. The vet knew what a great dog he was and had said when we were ready he could come over. All I had to do was stop by his office, and with tears in my eyes already I just said "it's time." He said he would be over after they closed for the day. He came by and gave the shot and the dog passed peacefully. We never even got a bill.

I have done it the other way too, myself, with a .22. It's not easy either way, but when they are suffering you owe it to them to make it stop.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 12:31 PM

Sorry to hear this I hope you find your peace but it’s never easy.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 12:33 PM

Never had to cross that bridge, not sure what to tell you, take to the vet and have them come out to the parking lot perhaps? Sorry you're having to deal with this.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 12:38 PM

Regardless of how good your shot it the twitching always makes you worried they are feeling something even though they are not. They always get 2 at different angled to the head and one to the chest quickly. The segmented .22 hp are nice they come apart and do their job nicely with out making a large mess. Had to put one of my step moms cats down yesterday and used them.

I just had cancer removed from my 8 year old Germany shepherd. I debated about spend so much on an old dog that was showing signs her hips were bothering her also and that the cancer likely has allready spread.

She is doing well now but I'm not looking forward to taking her for her last walk in the yard. Even considering taking her to the vet or having it done here but will likely do it myself here un pland when I decide its time if I'm home. If I'm gonna at work I will leave and come home or the wife will have the vet come. Only seems right for it to be by my hand though.
Posted By: jk

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 12:45 PM

There is not easy way, your choice everyone has there own special way to treat these conditions. Yes very depressing thread. we've all been through this and it hurts. do what you feel is best......jk
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 01:46 PM

How do you do it?

My best Jack Russel ever Champ was Sick I was 16 spent 400 bucks on him I didn’t really have took him out to the timber said get a squirrel buddy he hobbled the best he could popped him twice with my 28 gauge and left him in his favorite hickory grove he was only 6 , rough to do but he was in a better place and couldn’t have picked a better place for him

Posted By: Boco

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 01:50 PM

I had to do it a couple times with dogs I loved.
Take the dog out for a walk like you are going hunting,
Then one 22mag to the back of the head and one to the heart when the dog goes down.-instant.
Tough emotionally for a while but the best thing to do.
It is your responsibility to accept in my opinion.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 02:10 PM

My vet came to my house twice. She put what looked like a i-v needle in the lower leg. Then the next day she came back, and while I was feeding Bo a special treat of raw elk burger she injected whatever it is they use into the i-v port.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 03:05 PM

I have done it both ways, even a few for other people, I always felt it was my responsibility to do it myself, do something they love and end it on a high note....but....it's hard, especially as I get older. My wife doesn't approve either.
All my dogs are gone now, my wife has a few Pekingese's and as they fail, we bring them to the vet. That's hard too...even though they do an excellent job. It wasn't always that way, Vet's now have upped their game.

There is no easy answer, it's a tough personal decision.

On a slightly different note, I notice with a pack of dogs that some notice and really miss their mates, I've lately let them visit and sniff the departed member, sort of like a dog wake. I think it helps the dogs, but who really knows?

Good luck with whatever you choose, there's no right or wrong.
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 03:14 PM

I’ve had the vet both do it in my living room and at their office on my tailgate. Anyway you do it, it’s brutal and I’m sorry you have to do it. I can’t shoot a good dog and with the vets method, they just drifted off peacefully.

Not to make light of the situation, but one time I was visiting a guy that bear hunted with hounds. He had a fur hat hanging in his living room I couldn’t identify. He told me he had a Plott hound that was an absolute cull and he hated him. His buddy volunteered to do the dirty deed. Some months later a package showed up at the guys house with a hat his buddy had had made out of that worthless cull, so there it hung. That’s quite a prank!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 03:28 PM

Not reading through just because it hurts.

When it came time to put Luke Dawg down we picked a day and made it about him. I mean we went for a ride at some of the ponds we hunted in the past.
Went through town and stopped at a DQ and got him a plain hamburger.
We had a tent set up where he’d lay in the evenings out under the River Birch in the front yard and most of the neighbors and family came over to say their last goodbyes.
I’d talked to his vet and told him I couldn’t bring him and his last thoughts was being there and my vet agreed to come to the house.
When he arrived most left except for our immediate family.
We all said our last goodbyes as the vet injected him. He literally died in my arms what seemed as peaceful as one could imagine.
The vet gave us a little while and even sat around as we told stories of memories we all had with him. When we were done he and an assistant loaded him up and took him to the crematory.
Now it may sound strange to have an animal cremated, but I had plans for his ashes.
When I got the ashes back, my future daughter in law painted Luke’s name, birthdate and the day he died on there. I sent these to my buddies and asked them to spread his ashes the next duck season and send me dirt from where he was scattered. They all agreed and complied with my wishes. I have dirt from Canada, SD, LA, SC, FL, MS, and AR. All sent hand written notes as well.
To me that was as much of a tribute that I could possibly give.
Posted By: BRONZEBACK

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 03:35 PM

I’m very sorry you have to make this decision. I have always used a vet. I would rather have seen about 98% of my relatives go before any of my dogs. Sucks.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 03:36 PM

How do you do it?

I have the vet come to the house where the dog is comfortable and give her an injection. I have five female yellow labs buried at the edge of my pasture against the woods where I can see the graves from the house. It's always tough but the time does come. I just like to have the dog as comfortable as possible.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 04:07 PM

Its not easy, but I do it myself.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 04:26 PM

As a trapper for over 40 years I have dispatched many critters including wolves, wolverine and lynx. No way can I dispatch my best friends, our dogs!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 04:28 PM

what you need to know and likely already know is everything kicks and it kicks when they are sedated and get the injection also , that is what people think is suffering
it is some less because they are so tranquilized but was still there with my dog

I have a friend who calls me for all the animals he needs put down he has to walk away when I do it because he doesn't want to see the kicking.

that said my wife did our last dog while I was on a hunting trip. she chose the vet option , that dog didn't have any issue going to the vet it didn't stress her out , she was still moving on her own , but had lost bowl control and was sleeping 20+ hours a day.
she took her watch dog roll right till the end , when she couldn't be awake to watch the door she laid against the door so it couldn't open without he been alerted.

it was a car ride and she liked car rides and all the treats they gave at the vet

so do whatever you need to to stress the both of you out the least
Posted By: adam m

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 04:43 PM

It's not easy but I've had to do it. I'm dreading the day it's Joy's time which is coming. She's the oldest dog I've had she's almost 10. My kids haven't experienced it before so it's going to be very hard to see them say goodbye. They've experienced lots of deaths but never a pet.
Almost put Joy down recently she bit me while I was trying to take away the kids candy in my birthday. That was the first time. I gave her grace but trust has been broken.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 04:45 PM

My dogs have always been my best friend and when it has come time I do it myself .I figure I owe them that and I can remember everyone like it was yesterday.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 05:46 PM

Sorry to hear this is the outcome for your beloved hound.
I think you are on the right track with your thinking. I have always took my hunting dogs out to the woods and sat with them talking and petting them and when they get their attention pointing away a 22 will do the job well. It is not an easy thing to do, but my pops said if you are going to have dogs you have to be able to do all that is necessary and I personally think it is better for the dog to be with the one it trusts in it's last moments. That said I understand your inability to do it yourself as I have shed many a tear doing it over the years and have done it for others that just couldn't.

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 06:31 PM

I think this has been on here previously but felt it was appropriate today!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 06:34 PM

I've had do it many times. Don't like it one bit but figure it's my dog and my job. If you do it yourself I'd strongly recommend tying it up. I prefer a shotgun with heavy shot. If a 22 multiple shots very quickly.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 07:01 PM

very difficult time....hope it goes as good as it can. Good luck.
Posted By: charles

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 07:29 PM

I had to put a dog down once. It was a Sunday morning and 65 miles to the vet. She couldn’t get up and couldn’t control her bowels. Buried her next to the grave stone of a solitary Confederate soldier, Pvt I F O’Neil, Company E, NC Infantry.

Hard to do but had no choice.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 08:04 PM

I put one down myself. Never again. Since that time they either go to the vet or I pay for a vet call.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 08:19 PM

I never have in my life been in such a manner with any pet or animal, I've always been the one to take them on that walk for many people, most who say they cannot afford to take to a vet but can afford all manner of un-necessary things for them selves, I have always resented people like that but would still have the respect for that animal to give them a decent ending, thats really pain less for them if done correctly.

Don't get me wrong I have had many pets and enjoyed them all, but never have I become attached to them in such a manner that I would feel terrible or guilty or upset that its their time to leave us.

I do applaud those who can reach that level of awareness with their pets though, wish they could also do so with their families as well !
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 09:30 PM

So people that get attached to a hunting dog dont get as attached to family or did I read that wrong?
Posted By: Norwestalta

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 10:02 PM

It's not easy and takes a fair bit of soul searching. The vet method is relatively simple. A quick needle and your best friend goes to sleep and onto happy hunting grounds where the cats are plentiful and trees are sparse. I've done both vet and 22. Neither is easy but I always think of quality of life.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 11:05 PM

Talk to your vet. There are folks who provide that very specific service. We did that for our Shih-Tzu. She hated the vet and all of the dogs and cats in there. We did not want her to go through that on her last day. I don't know what it cost, and I still don't care. You spent $5,000 on your baby already, so I don't think that you will care either. It was the best decision we have ever made under similar conditions as your's.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/09/23 11:20 PM

I have to let the vet do it, and there is no easy way.

It's bad having the last image in your mind of the dog to be handing the leash to the vet, but better that than the image of you shooting it.... IMHO. I don't look at folks in their caskets at funerals for the same reason. I like the image in my brain to be of them when they were happy. If I were in your shoes, I'd tell her good-by and have Pete take her to the vet. $.02
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 12:49 AM

Get the vet to get your dog a pill for nerves. Take the dog on to the vet for the shot. One of the most humane things Ive saw done. I had to take a dog I inherited when I knew it was time. One shot of something?? Then a shot of the blue juice. As soon as the vet touched the needle with the blue juice, the dog never moved another muscle. A VET WILL PLAY ON YOUR EMOTIONS!
Posted By: Mitch L

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 12:58 AM

I am glad I am not in your shoes but my corgi is my best friend. As much as I would hate to do it I wouldn't take the dog to the vet. Best wishes...
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 02:12 AM

I just confirmed my dog thar I had two large brest tumors removed on her hind nipples and a smaller one the size I'd a golf ball between her shoulders on the 28th of Feb now has her nipple best at the first one starting to swell up. It's still soft and not developed a hard knot but I'm sure it will. I was sure hoping I bought her more time than that for the price it cost and the plain of the procedure.
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 02:12 AM

See if the vet will do it in your vehicle so the stress level is not so high, for both of you. Or get the vet to make a housecall. I don't know if a vet tech can administer the final drug, but they can administer the first drug that makes the go to sleep.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 02:40 AM

I've done a few over the years, more than a man should have to, but do not shoot in the head, That is a violent death and not something I want. My way is with a suppressed .22 to the heart. No noise , no pain and its over peacefully in less than a minute. I believe this method is more humane than a vets.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 03:45 AM

You just need to say goodbye then leave the house for awhile . Maybe go get a puppy .

Have someone ( preferably a non dog lover ) come to the house and take care of it , including burying on your land or transporting to the crematory .

I'd help you out if I was closer

I had a buddy come take care of a hound for me one time while I took the family on vacation . Worked out pretty well
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 04:10 AM

Don`t matter how it is done, it is a day you will never forget.

I have had to deal with this in the past and decided I would not get another dog ever. Well, I lost the vote 4 to 1...

Unfortunately, I have seen lots of bad stuff....humanity at the worst, but watching my dog die is one of the hardest thing I had to deal with and I don`t look forward to the day I need to do this again.

I hope you can deal with it ok.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 04:22 AM

I know it’s not much help, but I’ve been told so many times. Best way to get over a dog or a woman is to immediately get a new one. We never forget

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 04:25 AM

This thread helps put the breeder’s responsibility in perspective. The true hound breeder’s job is heartbreaking and thankless.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 04:26 AM

Ive always took care of it myself. I never owned a dog that enjoyed going to the vet so i dang sure didn't want that to be the last thing they did. Its not easy to do but for me i always felt it was my responsibility to take care of. Best of luck whichever you choose. Hopefully you can get another one to fill the void
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 05:25 AM

I feel bad for what you have to do regardless of how it's done.

I recall as a young'un we had a stray show up. It turned out she was pregnant. We got attached, and then she gave birth to 9 puppies. Dad told me that we could not keep them, and he wanted me to get rid of them. I took mama and pups to the woods behind the house and shot the 9 pups. I was 16 at the time. I had no joy in the task, only a mission to complete the task handed to me. I think it was a life lesson dad intended for me to learn.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I've had do it many times. Don't like it one bit but figure it's my dog and my job. If you do it yourself I'd strongly recommend tying it up. I prefer a shotgun with heavy shot. If a 22 multiple shots very quickly.

Way too much! Draw an imaginary line from the eyes to the opposite ear, where the lines bisect is the aim point. I always use 2, 2nd from the side, under the ear.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 12:33 PM

22 mag to the base of the skull where the spinal cord enters the brain.Instant death and paralysis-no kicking.
Posted By: GaTurkeyHunter

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 02:06 PM

https://www.lapoflove.com/our-services/in-home-euthanasia

I heard they offer in home services. Hope this helps. Sorry to hear the bad news.
Posted By: RustyShacklefrd

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 04:16 PM

Dig the hole
Walking it to the hole if possible
Put it in the hole nice and easy
Shoot it in the hole
No problem
Not fun but I found that the easiest way. Dead dogs are really heavy. If you head shot it it'll die instantly and won't feel a thing. I'd rather do that then drag it to the vet scaring it and injecting it with who knows what to kill it, probably, hopefully, fast. Then lugging it out to the hole.
People think it's mean but I'd rather die by gunshot then by poison any day
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 04:27 PM

I prefer to do them myself. The only one I couldn't was our cocker spaniel.

One thing I might caution you about is discussing doing it yourself with the vet. Some vets are cool about it, others not so much.
Posted By: flash

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 04:40 PM

This had me tear up....... I've done it myself one time and never again. Do what your heart will allow. Yes, my dogs mean as much to me as family. They never let you down.

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 09:35 PM

Well, my vet does not do house calls. So I guess we'll be taking her in to the vet tomorrow morning. I dread this so much.

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 09:40 PM

Can't you find someone qualified in the area to make a house call for you?

The whole things stinks and many of us know what you are going through. I wish there was someone who could come out to make it a little easier on you.

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 09:44 PM

Well, my vet does not do house calls. So I guess we'll be taking her in to the vet tomorrow morning. I dread this so much.

Get on the phone, there has to be someone around that will come out!
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 10:42 PM

Try calling a large animal vet clinic. The ones that service the farms in your area. They typically specialize in house calls. It's just a matter of are they willing to do small animals at home, I know my vet would.

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/10/23 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dana I
Try calling a large animal vet clinic. The ones that service the farms in your area. They typically specialize in house calls. It's just a matter of are they willing to do small animals at home, I know my vet would.

My vet is the only large animal vet in the area I know of. There might be more. He makes people bring the large animals to him, lol.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/11/23 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dana I

My vet is the only large animal vet in the area I know of. There might be more. He makes people bring the large animals to him, lol.

Wow that would never fly here. When we do pregnancy checks we will ultrasound 800 head of cattle in about 3 hours with 3 vets, 3 people recording results and 7 or 8 guys moving cattle. Can't imagine hauling that operation to the clinic.

I'm really sorry about your situation Angela. I will be thinking of you guys.

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/11/23 05:44 AM

I had to wait over an hour today while he filed horse teeth in the parking lot.
Posted By: 160andup

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/11/23 12:10 PM

We have had our vet come to the house. The dog was eating sugar cookies on the front porch when she got the shot, living the dream as best she could. Not a chance I could euthanize my own dog.

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/12/23 06:40 AM

Well it was done today.

Everyone that said they'd give her the shot and there'd be a few minutes before she died and then she'd just go to sleep..... were totally wrong.

I packed a baggie of easter ham, and I gave her a couple of pieces while waiting on the vet. She wanted more, but I told her no as I wanted her to be able to eat them in the couple of minutes between the shot and death.

The vet came out and I scattered the ham on the ground for her, he injected her in the leg and she was dead before he could take the needle out.

I guess it's a good thing it was so quick and painless.

But....

She never got to eat her ham. frown

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/12/23 10:34 AM

Sorry for you loss.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/12/23 11:48 AM

A good vet has a good protocol with the drugs they use. Very fast and painless, I'm sorry for your loss, and glad it went as well as it could.,
Posted By: nate

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/12/23 11:48 AM

Gosh darnit , ruff times sorry for the loss .
Posted By: Jingles

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/12/23 12:49 PM

Condolences on the loss of "a family member" but sounds like it was quick and without it being botched. Remember the good times and the early years
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/14/23 03:40 AM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/14/23 05:11 AM

Sorry for your loss. It hits my wife and I hard. It's the worst day for a pet owner.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/14/23 05:15 AM

Sorry Ang.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Putting down a dog - 04/14/23 05:44 AM

So sorry Angela.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums