Home

Starlink internet?

Posted By: Norwestalta

Starlink internet? - 04/01/23 12:04 AM

I live in rural Canada so my internet choices is somewhat limited and to say the least my best provider is not very good. Any of you guys got the starlink internet and how do you like it?
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/01/23 12:20 AM

My buddy has it and he said it is great. He had Hughes which he said was garbage.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/01/23 12:24 AM

Worth every penny!

Starlink
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/01/23 12:25 AM

I live in rural Nova Scotia and we got it last fall. Works great compared to the crappy Bell internet.
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/01/23 12:27 AM

It has gotten slower lately but still faster than what we had. Cost went up 25.00 but they are saying it will drop to 100.00 a month.
I like it
Posted By: ChadC

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/01/23 12:29 AM

I’ve had it for about six months now and love it! We’re in the same boat, no options. Never dreamt of having streaming T.V. services. We got them now, no issues. Even went out and bought a laptop, it’s great.
Posted By: GWGjr

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/01/23 12:34 AM

Works well for us. Notably faster than other options we tried and very reliable thus far.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/01/23 02:01 AM

It works pretty good here. I have a few interruptions, but usually short and only last a few minuets. Snow loaded up on the dish can shut it down, but it has a heater and melts it in time.

I pay $90 a month.

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 02:15 PM

Thanks for the info. When you got your starlink did it come with cable to run it from antenna to your house?
Posted By: MTSteve

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 02:42 PM

Here in extreme NW MT (Yaak), everyone has dumped Hughes and gone to Starlink. It works fantastic for us, and yes comes with everything you need to setup. If this tech dummy here can set it up anyone can. On a positve note ours quit working,through diagnosis on Starlink's end it was determined that something happened to either the router or the dish to router cable. Starlink sent us both at zero cost to us, and we recieved both in a couple of days.

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by MTSteve
Here in extreme NW MT (Yaak), everyone has dumped Hughes and gone to Starlink. It works fantastic for us, and yes comes with everything you need to setup. If this tech dummy here can set it up anyone can. On a positve note ours quit working,through diagnosis on Starlink's end it was determined that something happened to either the router or the dish to router cable. Starlink sent us both at zero cost to us, and we recieved both in a couple of days.

Good to know. I just went out and checked with the app. Got pretty good reception in all the spots except where I'd like to put it. Lol. 160 acres gives me some options though. I'm wondering if a guy needed extra cable can I get it at the hardware store or order it from starlink.

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 03:22 PM

We went through the same process, ultimately ended up putting it right off of the porch just where I wanted to in the first place , it works fine, Elon has the sky full of satellites. Once you power up the dish will turn itself to connect to one of them. The only drawback is now I have 90 feet of dish to router cable coiled up on the porch ! Hopefully at some point they will offer cable in shorter length's rather than just the standard 100'.

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 04:26 PM

Thanks Steve.
My next question is do or can you get live TV thru the Starlink? I'm thinking of getting a android box and doing away with my satellite as well.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 05:11 PM

Quite a few options to stream live TV. I do not have Starlink but my internet service has sufficient speed to stream. I dumped satellite TV for streaming about 3 years ago when I got internet service that would support streaming. Streaming services for live TV have gone up in price but still cheaper than Dish of Directv.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 05:20 PM

Has anyone bought the travel RV one and used it at your house? Service isn't for sure necessarily available where I am but you can buy the travel one. I wonder if it free returns 30 day trial or anything?
Posted By: white17

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by OhioBoy
Has anyone bought the travel RV one and used it at your house? Service isn't for sure necessarily available where I am but you can buy the travel one. I wonder if it free returns 30 day trial or anything?

I haven't Troy but a good friend here did exactly that. He's happy with it

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 05:29 PM

Norwestalta, as QBD, (love that handle!) said I think there are options, my neighbors all have TV that they watch through SL, as for me personally, I haven't had a television for over 25 years.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/10/23 06:21 PM

Why wouldn't it be available where you are, you don't have a clear view of the sky?
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/11/23 12:48 AM

Fubo TV and YouTube TV are are a couple of streaming service providers for live TV. And to me, one of the added advantages is that most of these services offer virtual DVR service as part of the package. This gives more options for recording shows and then watch them at your convenience. I think my current plan allows me to have up to 1,000 hours recorded. I rarely ever watch live TV since I can record and watch what I want to on my schedule. And I do not even have a smart TV. The only hardware I had to buy to start streaming was a $35 Roku unit that plugs into my dumb TV.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/17/23 10:50 AM

You punch your address in on their website and they tell you if you are in range or not. Satellites take different orbits. The path they are on doesn't necessarily go right over my house the way they like in order to say for sure that I'll have 100% service.

Originally Posted by BernieB.

Why wouldn't it be available where you are, you don't have a clear view of the sky?

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/20/23 08:32 PM

Got the starlink and so far it's the cats pajamas. 10x the speed from the junk we had before and I just have the antenna sitting out in the yard. The problems I did have is I've got 1/2" conduit running in the house and the plug won't fit thru it. I'm not overly fond of drilling holes thru my walls. The other problem was and is that the cable is to short to go where I want to but the antenna. As the wife will confirm not being long enough is a reoccurring problem.
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/20/23 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
It works pretty good here. I have a few interruptions, but usually short and only last a few minuets. Snow loaded up on the dish can shut it down, but it has a heater and melts it in time.

I pay $90 a month.

That sounds better than our 3rd world internet we get here in Fairbanks!
Posted By: victor#0

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/20/23 09:05 PM

We have the RV service so we can take our Starlink with us, when we are at our place in the village we have it on the roof and when we head out to the trapline etc. we bring the sattelite dish and modem. Works pretty much the same wherever we go as long as you have a clear view to the sky.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Starlink internet? - 04/21/23 04:00 AM

Does anyone use the starlink ethernet adapter?

It's been giving me fits for the last two weeks. I've troubleshot everything thing, and only thing I can think is that Starlink has reduced the voltage somehow through their modem so that you cannot run more than 30 feet. I wouldn't think that is possible, but I can't figure it out. I contacted their customer support and asked, and still have not heard back. It has to be on their end.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums