Home

Could weather gear for around water

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:21 PM

Recommendations for cold weather get for working around water ? Rivers and the like? Preferably something that's more like overalls. Gonna be going up north soon and don't think my waffle bottoms, silkies and the like will be the best thing. I mean it's 80° down here but think y'all still getting snow up north right ?
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:25 PM

Waders if you’re going in the water. Gore Tex or other breathable outerwear for layering works over traditional clothing if you’re not standing in the water.

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:26 PM

Gonna be on a boat way above the water so really only worried about getting sprays possibly.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:31 PM

Did ya get a job on barges?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:33 PM

Talk to boatmen.

When trapping I wear insulated neoprene waders and polypro longjohns. Wool socks. Nylon outer jacket while in my boat. Keep dry clothes in a vacuum bag for in case of. got soaked once coon trapping. Not fun trying to dry your clothes at a fire.

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Did ya get a job on barges?

wink Can't speak on good things to soon . Trying to keep that juju off me
Posted By: spjones

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:35 PM

Grundens.com
Posted By: hippie

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:37 PM

Haha, I hear ya.

I always liked bibs, ya can switch to a heavier or liter coat as the temps change where with coveralls your stuck with them. JMO.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:48 PM

Strikers has state of the art clothing, coats and bibs, designed for cold, wet and rain. They are designed originally for ice fishermen, but many like the coats and bibs for generally keeping warm, wind, water resistant.

I have Striker coat and bibs, they are perfect. Got them both on sale . I mean like 60 % off sale . Those are the bargains I look for. When I ordered my bibs, they even took another $40 dollars off. All free shipping.

They're worth a look.

https://strikerbrands.com/
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 06:49 PM

I have become a bibs fan too wear insulated gortex bibs all the time out in boat or on the ice. Sometimes even flotation bibs and coat.
Something I have come to be a fan of. $5 cotton dicky. Is funny how warm that added little bit of cloth around your neck can make you feel.start moving more or sun gets in you. Easy to pull out stick in pocket or dry bag.. don't care how looks all about function.

Mac
Posted By: SD Coon Catcher

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 07:01 PM

Helly Hansen or Grundens

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone, hopefully they actually have my sizes
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 07:09 PM

What they advise, is that you order a size or two larger than what youd normally order in clothes.

That is so you can layer up underneath. Like a wool sweater, undershirt under that, the coat on top.

The bibs I did the same thing. They make me look like a hockey goalie, but I sure won't be cold or wet and will be able to move around in comfort.

The Striker brand is as top quality as can be had. I know Alaskans who have had theirs for years and they still look new. The guys on here, AKnative, and Enigmatic Gwitchin wear them in their videos. Hope I got EG's spelling right...

You can wear those in the coldest weather you'll ever experience, or in driving wind, sleet or rain and be fine.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 08:02 PM

You may need to wear a flotation device with whatever you wear or some kind of built in flotation work wear...there are coast guard approved flotation and insulated work suits available. If you're going to be working for a company they may demand something like that... Might as well ask them.

When commercial fishing in winter, I like merino wool base layers under fleece, under commercial foul weather gear, such as Grundens...
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Thanks everyone, hopefully they actually have my sizes

You can always buy normal people sizes and cut a foot or so off the legs. grin
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Could weather gear for around water - 03/31/23 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
You may need to wear a flotation device with whatever you wear or some kind of built in flotation work wear...there are coast guard approved flotation and insulated work suits available. If you're going to be working for a company they may demand something like that... Might as well ask them.

When commercial fishing in winter, I like merino wool base layers under fleece, under commercial foul weather gear, such as Grundens...

X 2 entire post
© 2024 Trapperman Forums