Home

Snow's great. But tough on wildlife.

Posted By: foxhunter52

Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 06:46 PM

As much as we need the water here in our state, it is sad to watch the wildlife in our area struggle for survival in the deep snow. I'm trying to help feed a flock of 40 turkeys and about that many deer behind the house. But it's just not enough, especially for last years fawns. I had to move a dead fawn from under my bedroom window a few days ago.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 07:04 PM

Good for you sir. Here in Wisconsin you'd be accused of trying to spread disease to the starving animals by feeding them at all.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 07:09 PM

Deep snow is just one of mother's nature's way of population control. Taking out the weak so the gene pool doesn't get watered down.
I don't find anything wrong with you feeding your small local population of deer and turkey though. Not like your little speck of land changes much in the grand scheme of things. And hopefully you'll have a few extra around this coming year for the dinner table.
Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Good for you sir. Here in Wisconsin you'd be accused of trying to spread disease to the starving animals by feeding them at all.

I believe it's illegal in my state as well
Posted By: Bearcub

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 07:31 PM

That’s a lot of snow , where’s That at ?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 07:53 PM

A few bale of hay would be fairly inexpensive. I always feed some in Jan through April. Corn and hay when the snow is on. Helps the wore out buck and the pregnant doe just a little. Then in October the boys can thin them out vs nature.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 08:07 PM

We don’t get snow and I still feed them year round. Peanuts last a long time as they seem to know how much protein they need. They’ll stay on a corn pile for hours. With peanuts it’s no more than 5-10 minutes and then they are moving on. Deer, dove, quail, rabbits, squirrels, hogs, and an occasional turkey will stop by to grab a bite. A 5 gallon bucket, sometimes two if the temps are low, will do for a week.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 08:57 PM

A little saying I came up with is Mother Nature can be a mean mother and mankind often is anything but kind .One of the things that often goes unsaid is nature does not play favorites Weather ,disease, predators', free roaming pets and automobile road kills kill without discrimination . Us human often label as red necks, cruel ,mean blood thirsty savages ,plus a large amount of words not allowed here actually care enough about animal. We do kill some of them But that control of the herd is for the greater good We feed or plant food plots to help them survive the worst of what winter can bring Some feeding at the time the animals are in need is OK .But if we over do it that feeding can spread disease and attracting groups of wildlife together also draws predators But I do like your picture and who among us does not like looking out the window and seeing all kinds of birds and animals .
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 08:59 PM

Feeding stations on both sides of the house they come for the tree cover so feeding them is easy.

Coming and going most of the day.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 09:10 PM

Bismarck ND is currently setting at the 7th snowiest winter on record. It's hammering the pheasants and the whitetails trying to make a recovery from blue tongue. I'd much rather see rain, I've got no use for snow.
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 10:14 PM

[Linked Image]

Even down here in the mild south with green wheat and clover, the deer - especially does - appreciate a little free dessert

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
A few bale of hay would be fairly inexpensive. I always feed some in Jan through April. Corn and hay when the snow is on. Helps the wore out buck and the pregnant doe just a little. Then in October the boys can thin them out vs nature.

Depending on where the deers digesting system is at hay might not work if they got on browse long enough their system changes and they cannot digest other feeds until their system changes back to it.
Posted By: Ole

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 10:45 PM

Looks like enough low snow hills in the back ground that deer should be able to pick around and make it up there on their own. Maybe...
Posted By: Ole

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 10:46 PM

Looks like enough low snow hills in the back ground that deer should be able to pick around and make it up there on their own. Maybe...
Posted By: super cub

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/08/23 10:48 PM

We've got between 2 and 3 feet of snow. Fawns are dieing, my wife feeds the quail cracked corn and there's 20 or so deer come in. The ranch next to us leaves some round bales for the deer but there still dieing
Posted By: snowy

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/09/23 12:03 AM

Sad deal for sure to the OP. When it's really bad here they just stay my alfalfa field and stay around the clock. My wild turkeys have moved on to some place with more to eat in just the last week. Pheasant by the 100's are still feeding here.

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/09/23 12:30 AM

Don’t change their feed just because it’s nice outside they can eat spring food but not be able to get much out of that new feed right away, they go down hill even in the spring so if you feed them commit to it into the spring months.
Posted By: jk

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/09/23 12:37 AM

Nice back yard you have there. I am jealous!!!!!!
Posted By: wytex

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/09/23 06:08 AM

Looking rough out here in Wyoming too.
License numbers will be reduced in many areas.

Hope your turkeys make it, the deer may be harder to help out .
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/09/23 07:08 AM

[Linked Image]
Deer are camping under my bird feeders

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/09/23 07:11 AM

[Linked Image]
Got these yard creatures too

Re: Snow's great. But tough on wildlife. - 03/09/23 07:21 AM

[Linked Image]
Counted 33 at once scrounging under my bird feeders. Weather isn’t even bad