Home

Test ideas for .22lr ammo ?

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Test ideas for .22lr ammo ? - 01/28/23 10:04 PM

Pawnshop had a few different kinds of aguilia .22lr . Can't remember ever shooting any of this orange so picked up a box of each for some testing.
[Linked Image]

And since folks seem to enjoy my ammo testing videos figured I'd film it when I do. It's becoming a favorite little hobby of mine.Was just gonna run 10rd each off my set up here at 25yd.
[Linked Image]

But wanted to see what folk wanna see in a ammo testing video. So ideas ?
Posted By: Steeltrap

Re: Test ideas for .22lr ammo ? - 01/28/23 11:07 PM

Weight each round individually, and group them by grain weight. This is what I do for bulk ammo. Figure out what grain group shoots the best, then use the others for plinking and your most accurate for hunting. Not a prefect system but it does work.

If buying ammo, I stick to CCI standard velocity, SK Semi-Auto of SK Match.

Posted By: warrior

Re: Test ideas for .22lr ammo ? - 01/28/23 11:15 PM

I've shot the 60gr subs they don't stabilize but pack a wallop at close range. I've also shot the colibri 20gr dead quiet without a can. Seriously you can hear the hammer fall. But not enough power to have any useful purpose on anything tougher than paper. I'd also be leery of getting one stuck in a long barrel.

I've looked over their line and they've got some interesting options. That interceptor in a solid looks like a possibility for for hog dispatch in a trap. I've also read that the extra compares well to eley.

Keep us updated, please.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Test ideas for .22lr ammo ? - 01/29/23 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Steeltrap
Weight each round individually, and group them by grain weight. This is what I do for bulk ammo. Figure out what grain group shoots the best, then use the others for plinking and your most accurate for hunting. Not a prefect system but it does work.

If buying ammo, I stick to CCI standard velocity, SK Semi-Auto of SK Match.

Heated rim thickness is what all the competition guys use confused
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Test ideas for .22lr ammo ? - 01/29/23 02:16 AM

Since you are using a scope, stretch it out to 50 yards. Parallax can be extreme at close range, making it absolutely crucial that your pupil is centered in your eyepiece to have consistent groups. I can't tell if your scope has adjustable parallax or not.
I have known a lot of shooters call me complaining about not being able to get a on-hole-group at thirty yards with their normally dead nuts on .308.
I tell them that 30 yards is for getting on paper (any part of it).
100 yards is where you make your ragged hole, 3 shot group.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums