Home

Persimmon or paw paw tree

Posted By: Keystonekiller

Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/25/23 10:20 PM

Looking to get 2 more trees for my little orchard this spring never had either was wondering what you guys thought of the 2 trees
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/25/23 10:33 PM

For both of them you need multiple trees for pollenizers. Just something to keep in mind.
Posted By: nate

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/25/23 10:34 PM

I would get self pollinating and get one of each, saying that I know there's self pollinating paw paw not sure on persimmon.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/25/23 10:47 PM

Meader persimmon supposedly is. Its an Illinois selection of our native. I'd still plant several to ensure. I got at least one male.

Paws Paws are pollinated by flies. Hanging roadkill around them helps draw in flies.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/25/23 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Meader persimmon supposedly is. Its an Illinois selection of our native. I'd still plant several to ensure. I got at least one male.

Paws Paws are pollinated by flies. Hanging roadkill around them helps draw in flies.

Or if you have the time, or just make the time, hand pollinate them.

I would go with a grafted variety of pawpaw(grafted starts fruiting a few years earlier than non).

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/25/23 11:12 PM

Honey bees readily work persimmon. Often putting up a small surplus. It's the last of the season here in the Georgia piedmont coming in the second week of May.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 12:48 AM

I have gotten all my other trees from grandpa's orchard out of Michigan..all grafted 2 year old root stock
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 02:19 AM

Pawpaws sometimes self-pollinate a little. They all have perfect flowers (male and female parts in each flower), but the female parts do not mature at the same time as the male parts do, preventing self-pollination. Don't count an a sprout coming up from under your tree to be of any help, as it is a root sucker which means that it will be the same tree. You need a tree which comes from seed to get pollination. It can be a seed from your current tree as it will have been pollinated from another tree making it genetically different and might carry the genes for a differing flower maturation rate than your current tree.
When you find a natural grove of hundreds pawpaw trees, you can bet money that patch is just one tree, connected by roots. The next grove over will be from a different seed and they will likely be the source of pollination.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 02:28 AM

Warrior, I wonder if hanging roadkill would do double duty by keeping porch pirates and the like away?

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
Pawpaws sometimes self-pollinate a little. They all have perfect flowers (male and female parts in each flower), but the female parts do not mature at the same time as the male parts do, preventing self-pollination. Don't count an a sprout coming up from under your tree to be of any help, as it is a root sucker which means that it will be the same tree. You need a tree which comes from seed to get pollination. It can be a seed from your current tree as it will have been pollinated from another tree making it genetically different and might carry the genes for a differing flower maturation rate than your current tree.
When you find a natural grove of hundreds pawpaw trees, you can bet money that patch is just one tree, connected by roots. The next grove over will be from a different seed and they will likely be the source of pollination.

Didn't know that about paw paws. Avocados are similar.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 03:00 AM

Same thing true for hazelnuts.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 05:38 AM

I have single wild stock Paw Paws that are LOADED every year.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 08:28 AM

Paw Paws are good trees grow in abundance in Illinois creek bottoms
Posted By: Strut10

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 11:06 AM

I'm in PA as well. Zone 6a - 5b.

I've bought persimmons.......... I've grown them from seed. I have the lousiest time getting them to establish. It seems I may have a couple that are gonna go ahead and grow now. But I'm not positive. Paw Paws are even worse.

I've read what I can about optimal soil and sunlight conditions and tried to adhere to those guidelines. But, I'm still banging my head against the wall, it seems.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 01:47 PM

Ive heard pawpaw growing described as "most trees crawl before they can walk then theyll run. Pawpaws crawl, crawl some more, then they start running"
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 09:39 PM

Paw-Paws do well in shade and river slopes. Persimmons need more sun and can handle poor soil. Just my experience w both species,

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/26/23 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob

Would it be that you've got other paw paws within a fly's range?

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/27/23 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler

That's my bet.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/24/23 03:14 PM

This year I planted persimmon & all 5 are doing well. Next year my plan is to plant 3 or 4 pawpaws, probably a couple taytwo pawpaw & 1 or 2 sunflower pawpaw. It's really hard to find pawpaw rated for zone 4. I may have found my source for next year: www.elmoreroots.com out of Vermont.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/24/23 06:44 PM

For both of them you need multiple trees for pollenizers. Just something to keep in mind.

My Paw Paw is a self pollinating wild Ozark stock I transplanted. Got a nice crop this year. Want some seeds? Didn't do so well on the Persimmons.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/24/23 09:15 PM

My paw paw tree was loaded this year, I don't no of any other trees within miles, they started ripening last week and I've been baking pawpaw bread this past week very easy to make and very tasty.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/25/23 12:49 AM

Nate, somewhere in your area there's another paw paw tree.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/25/23 04:38 AM

I'm surprised at all the different types of pawpaw trees there. Sunflower and Taytwo are the ones I'm considering.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/25/23 06:32 AM

So I was wondering how big the Virginia Champion Pawpaw is. I looked it up, then measured mine. I may have the new championing in my yard!
The current champion has a circumference 28". Mine is 32". The canopy measurement of mine I'd bigger. I am having difficulty measuring the height because of where it is located.
I planted that tree in 1997. I had a pet coon that loved pawpaws. One of the seeds that passed through him germinated in the pile where a would throw out his droppings. I planted it in a shady spot and watched it grow.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/25/23 05:46 PM

Paw paw are annoying in a yard. They spread by roots. Persimmon is a better yard tree
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/25/23 05:53 PM

If you are wanting either tree in your orchard for human consumption - I would look at one of the oriental persimmons. We have tons of paw paws and wild persimmons and I dont prefer to eat either........I'd pass and just have another apple.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/26/23 01:46 AM

Pawpaw bread, yummy!!

Attached picture IMG_20230920_194110218_PORTRAIT.jpg

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/26/23 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by bhugo
Paw paw are annoying in a yard. They spread by roots.

I supppse they could take over

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/26/23 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
If you are wanting either tree in your orchard for human consumption - We have tons of paw paws and wild persimmons and I dont prefer to eat either........I'd pass and just have another apple.

I bet they'd be good blended in a fruit smoothie
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/26/23 03:13 AM

My Paw Paw is a self pollinating wild Ozark stock I transplanted. Got a nice crop this year. Want some seeds? Didn't do so well on the Persimmons.

I would love some seeds from the self pollinating paw paw tree. Shoot me a PM with price, I would appreciate it.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/26/23 03:17 AM

I didn't realize some pawpaw are self pollinating

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 09/30/23 05:15 AM

I bet there is another 1 in the area that you aren't aware of.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 10/17/23 02:25 AM

The topic is persimmon or pawpaw..i say plant both smile

I've done a ton of research to find ones that will work in my zone (4, near zone 5).

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/08/23 11:34 PM

I've heard how healthy pawpaws are, but then I heard they put out a neurotoxicity. I wonder if any of you have heard of such a thing. I googled it & this article lists the pros & cons

https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-pawpaw-fruit
Posted By: K52

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/09/23 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
If you are wanting either tree in your orchard for human consumption - We have tons of paw paws and wild persimmons and I dont prefer to eat either........I'd pass and just have another apple.

I bet they'd be good blended in a fruit smoothie

You can use ripe persimmon pulp in recipes that use pumpkin. Love persimmon bread. They grow wild all over here.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/13/23 04:55 AM

Sounds tasty & healthy K52.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/13/23 11:57 PM

Don't screw around, get both! As to multiple Paw Paws for pollination, Mine is a "Lone Ranger and Is loaded most every year.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/17/23 05:25 AM

I planted my pawpaws today

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/17/23 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
This year I planted persimmon & all 5 are doing well. Next year my plan is to plant 3 or 4 pawpaws, probably a couple taytwo pawpaw & 1 or 2 sunflower pawpaw. It's really hard to find pawpaw rated for zone 4. I may have found my source for next year: www.elmoreroots.com out of Vermont.

Which persimmons are cold 4 rated???

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/17/23 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by AJE

Which persimmons are cold 4 rated???

The ones from Frank's Fox River Valley Nursery of eastern Wi.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/17/23 01:38 PM

Thanks

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/18/23 08:10 PM

No.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 12/19/23 03:23 AM

Does a good crop of pawpaw risk breaking the branches from the weight of the fruit? They seem like large fruit.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/06/24 04:57 AM

Hopefully there are enough of those flies around here to pollinate my pawpaw

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/17/24 02:55 AM

I'm looking forward to spring to see how my 3 new paw paw's are doing.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/17/24 04:07 PM

All my native pawpaws have never had enough fruit to break branches. I would guess only about 5% of my paw paws ever fruit in a year. These are only native trees, never messed with. We have hundreds if not not thousands growing on a farm I rent and every year some of them fruit and many of them don't. I have brush hogged many down as they can overwhelm an area at times in understory.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/18/24 12:17 AM

The wood IS very brittle, but I've never had a branch break from the weight of the fruit, It's also growing under 2 very large Walnut trees. Have over a doz little ones popping up, root sprouts I think.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/19/24 01:58 AM

The wood IS very brittle, but I've never had a branch break from the weight of the fruit,
That's good to know. The fruit was real heavy is what I had guessed.
Posted By: Minz

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 01/20/24 08:27 PM

I have a (single, no second, no graft stock) Fuyu Persimmon. Produces heavy every year. Excellent fruit if you wait for the first frost to harvest them. I go out and pick about 10 every other day for weeks.
When the leaves fall off all the fruit still hangs on the tree it is an attractive tree.
If you need two of something look at budding a different tree to it. It is the simplest form of grafting. Grafting is mostly about timing of the type of graft you are doing and aligning the green part of the bark. Worst case you end up with a scar in a branch.

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 02/03/24 08:17 AM

I didn't realize persimmon fruit lasts so long on the tree Minz.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 02/03/24 11:50 AM

both are delicious if you like stuff that is sweet

Re: Persimmon or paw paw tree - 02/28/24 03:24 AM

I'm anxious to get to the land to look at my pawpaw & persimmon this spring to see if the incredibly warm winter is bad for them
© 2024 Trapperman Forums