Home

360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge

Posted By: YoteChaser1968

360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 06:16 PM

Anyone used this cartridge? Thoughts....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 06:23 PM

Was a nice post and discussion on here about it yesterday. Probably down on page 2 now.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 06:26 PM

Something something reinventing the wheel something something already done something something.270 30-30 better Jack O Conner something something what's wrong with (insert cartridge you can't find ammo for anymore ) something dad joke about 6.5 creedmore.
There saved you some reading grin wink

Relax it's just a joke...... mostly laugh
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 06:30 PM

Love the advertisement saying accuracy at 200+ yards but no claim as to what the accuracy is. Not a dig at the cartridge just find it funny when the ad men use catchy words but their statements have no claim.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 06:39 PM

first i heard of it maybe a 358. cal. bullet instead of the 356 in a legend in the past century 30-30 barrels could be reamed ond rifled for a 35-30 cartridge but with ammo as cheap or cheaper then reloading it was a no-show with the new powders could be a hummer maybe the 38-55 will be reborn
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Love the advertisement saying accuracy at 200+ yards but no claim as to what the accuracy is. Not a dig at the cartridge just find it funny when the ad men use catchy words but their statements have no claim.

I believe it is just an attempt to placate hunters in states where you can only use straight walled cartridges for deer hunting. I also believe their claim to accuracy is minute of deer.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 07:42 PM

Near as I can tell this new cartridge is directed towards states where straight wall cartridges are required to hunt big game.
Posted By: bogio

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 09:33 PM

reinvented 35 remington to meet straight wall requirements?
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 09:40 PM

Only bright spot is that (maybe) we get to see some of the good core/loc bullets as reloading components again
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 09:55 PM

lots of cartridges aimed at a how many state market ?

Iowa is no longer a strait wall cartridge state , it only needs to be 35cal or larger now so 358win and 35 wheelen , 416 Barret , 50bmg, 375 chytec 458 win mag and a bunch of others now fit the 35cal or greater.

I find them interesting but I really have to ask at this point would we really be less safe if we just said hey 308win is just fine.

aren't the ever continued strait walls fast on the heals of 308 or exceeding the range and power of 30-30 really just proving the point we could all use 308win just fine and not be any more dangerous.

yes it is a strait walled 35rem basically 2100-2400 fps with a 180-200gr bullet from a lever gun
it might even be faster than the 35rem , so why do we need strait wall states again? thy keep proving rifles are safe by making strait wall rifles that meet or exceed common deer hunting cartridges from a tapered case.

Posted By: DaveP

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 09:59 PM

WOW, this is going to be as big as their 5mm Rimfire Magnum!
Posted By: EdP

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 10:15 PM

Why not just use the .444 Marlin? Maybe Winchester will bring back the .375 Win, but I don't think so
Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 10:27 PM

If they wanted to do something, they could of put some .444 marlin ammo on the shelves. I’ve got a case that’s been on back order for 2.5 years. Now they introduce a new caliber, that ammo won’t be available for.
Posted By: Jags

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 10:35 PM

Another solution looking for a problem.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 11:49 PM

They can't keep up with the demand for established cartridges. Brilliant move.

Just one more "Out of Stock" item.

Mike
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
They can't keep up with the demand for established cartridges. Brilliant move.

Just one more "Out of Stock" item.

Mike

Exactly!

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/18/23 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
Why not just use the .444 Marlin? Maybe Winchester will bring back the .375 Win, but I don't think so

lots of gun sales spurred by about 7 states that "allow" you to hunt deer with a strait wall cartridge not longer than 1.8 inches in case length

444 is too long for those states 2.225 case length

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 12:11 AM

"Unprecedented demand"

"Finite supplies of raw materials"

"Supply chain issues"

That's all we've heard for 3 years. Now they want me to go gaga over a souped up 9mm cartridge? Don't think so.

Mike

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 09:56 AM

where this could get interesting , without seeing case drawings yet , it appears to be basically a comercialized slightly shortened increased pressure 35/30-30

if you can turn 30-30 brass into 360 buckhammer then it could be useful

it hasn't made Saami yet https://saami.org/technical-information/cartridge-chamber-drawings/

so specific case drawings are hard to find

it does appear to be close to a smoothed out shoulder 35/30-30 but shortened some to make 1.8" it might require fire forming after necking up 30-30 brass

if I was in a strait wall state I might get interested because it appears to have bullet and velocity on par with 35rem

of course why these states wouldn't just accept 30-30 and 35rem as legal , it's all just working with unfortunate law. the mother of so many interesting but otherwise un-needed advances/side steps firearms progress.
Posted By: EdP

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 01:55 PM

Some of the straight wall cartridge states have the 1.8" case length limit and some do not. It looks like Michigan and Indiana do have the 1.8 limit so the .444 is not allowed, but Ohio and Iowa do not and allow the .444. Even with the limit there are already plenty of other cartridges available that are perfectly suitable, no need to make another.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jags
Another solution looking for a problem.

wink

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
Some of the straight wall cartridge states have the 1.8" case length limit and some do not. It looks like Michigan and Indiana do have the 1.8 limit so the .444 is not allowed, but Ohio and Iowa do not and allow the .444. Even with the limit there are already plenty of other cartridges available that are perfectly suitable, no need to make another.

it is largely marketing , if it was just about killing deer we might all be running one caliber

Because Henry seems to be the only one with a rifle for it yet , I assume this is Henry trying to expand their market.

Henry also just released a 9mm carbine that uses Glock , smith or one other mag type basically a Ruger PC carbine with wood stocks

they are trying to do more than old style lever guns

they found people looking for different/maybe better will buy new rifles if they make new cartridge that do something a little better than another.

also no one seems to be interested in 357max as a cartridge although it would have made a lot of sense.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 07:16 PM

Maybe 200 yards isn't as far as it used to be
Posted By: waggler

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 07:18 PM

Might be accurate to 200 yards, but I wonder what it's trajectory is like? I'm guessing something like a rainbow.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by jeff karsten
Maybe 200 yards isn't as far as it used to be

That’s what I was thinking!
Posted By: bhugo

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 08:05 PM

I am in Michigan. It is only the southern half of the lower peninsula that is restricted to straight wall cartridges. Used to be called the shotgun zone and pistol cartridges were legal. People used to drive north to deer hunt by the thousands but not as much anymore. The wolves have eaten much of the deer in the upper peninsula. My family hunts our property up there and there are so few people going to the up anymore that the mackinaw bridge is rarely backed up. Used to be a mess for days before season.

The southern portion of the lower peninsula has more nice bucks than anywhere else now. The majority of hunters now hunt in the straight wall cartridge zone. It has created a lot of demand for these new cartridges. I use a 44 mag carbine in the southern zone, but lots of people don’t want to buy a pistol caliber carbine for some reason. It is a huge opportunity for gun and ammo makers. The 350 Legend is also very popular. Reloaders have some issues with it if I remember correctly. I am not sure what it was, though.

My brother, who uses a Marlin 444 in the up, bought a 350 Legend for the straight wall zone. He’d rather use his 444, but it’s too long. The beautiful Henry single shot 350 Legend has been back to Henry several times for light primer strikes. He is real happy about that. All because his 444 is a fraction of an inch too long for the law. I’d like to see why they picked the length of the cartridge limit that they did….
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 10:09 PM

..... honestly I have to ask ...how many guys are shooting past 60-100yd ? Like 80% of the time I'm at the range during deer seasons most guys are getting on paper @ 50 and calling it a day.

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
..... honestly I have to ask ...how many guys are shooting past 60-100yd ? Like 80% of the time I'm at the range during deer seasons most guys are getting on paper @ 50 and calling it a day.

probably not that many

I like to confirm everything is zeroed at 200 yards

even my 300blackout has been shot at 200 and actually to 400 just for fun

223,308win , 30-06 I have all confirmed to 200 or further , deer shot past 175 none so far but I would feel solid at 200 if I had a few seconds to set up the shot.
200 isn't that far but just by the areas we hunt being rather thick we don't get a lot of 200 yard shots on deer
Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/19/23 11:51 PM

I’ve given up on the new stuff. I’ll be carrying my 12ga slug gun next year. It seems to be the only thing you can find ammo for and I don’t need anything more than that to kill a deer in the hardwoods and brush at 50 yards.

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/20/23 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

I have been told that the average range to kill deer in Oklahoma is 30 yards... Not sure how anyone would know that... But I think it's probably pretty close.

Mike
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: 360 BUCKHAMMER Cartridge - 01/21/23 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by bhugo
I am in Michigan. It is only the southern half of the lower peninsula that is restricted to straight wall cartridges. Used to be called the shotgun zone and pistol cartridges were legal. People used to drive north to deer hunt by the thousands but not as much anymore. The wolves have eaten much of the deer in the upper peninsula. My family hunts our property up there and there are so few people going to the up anymore that the mackinaw bridge is rarely backed up. Used to be a mess for days before season.

The southern portion of the lower peninsula has more nice bucks than anywhere else now. The majority of hunters now hunt in the straight wall cartridge zone. It has created a lot of demand for these new cartridges. I use a 44 mag carbine in the southern zone, but lots of people don’t want to buy a pistol caliber carbine for some reason. It is a huge opportunity for gun and ammo makers. The 350 Legend is also very popular. Reloaders have some issues with it if I remember correctly. I am not sure what it was, though.

My brother, who uses a Marlin 444 in the up, bought a 350 Legend for the straight wall zone. He’d rather use his 444, but it’s too long. The beautiful Henry single shot 350 Legend has been back to Henry several times for light primer strikes. He is real happy about that. All because his 444 is a fraction of an inch too long for the law. I’d like to see why they picked the length of the cartridge limit that they did….

44 mag carbine is my go to deer rifle, but I am not limited by straight walled cartridges. I have a .30-06 which is dead nuts on, but enjoy shooting the Ruger 44 mag so much more, not to mention it is so much lighter and handy to carry without a sling. It is deadly on deer out to 150 yards, very nearly always resulting in the deer falling in its tracks. I have more double-lunged deer run a ways with my .30-06 than what happens with the 44 mag.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums