Home

Electric bill hits all time high

Posted By: Nittany Lion

Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 02:43 PM

A new record for us, $922.87. (1 month)
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 02:59 PM

Mine has been $100/mo lately and I'm not even living there. Two milkhouse heaters on lowest setting and a deep freezer in the garage.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 03:00 PM

LOL Get ready for "you need more insulation" "You need new windows" "Your wrong your rate hasn't gone up" I posted my all time high almost a year ago and got 3 pages of what "I" was doing wrong. NOT WHAT DEMS "HAVE" done wrong
Posted By: hippie

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 03:04 PM

Wait until everyone tries charging their electric cars.

Ours was a couple hundred and my mother-in-laws 67 dollars. No, I'm not mistaken, hers is always so low its unbelievable.

Mine at the garage runs in the 90's this time of year to down into the 60's spring and fall when we don't run the a/c or fan on the heater.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 03:04 PM

Wow.

We're around 130 a month, wood stove helps obviously. We are thinking about putting in solar. The tax benefits here are really good.
Posted By: fieldsy

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 03:37 PM

Wow!!! electric heat?? I can't fathom an electric bill that high, unless there is other "circumstances" in the bill... other buildings, business, etc... Its been cold at times, but not all the time...
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 03:51 PM

We run as many as 5 freezers at our home for the food shelf when we get meat donated. Our electric bill has gone up considerably.

It's amazing how many stupid people think they are going to save a lot of money with an EV since they don't have to pay these high gas prices anymore.
They don't realize plugging in an EV isn't like plugging in a coffee pot cost wise.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 04:29 PM

Suck it up. It’s good for the climate
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Suck it up. It’s good for the climate

Yep gonna get worse .......gotta save the planet even though we'll all be gone soon
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nittany Lion

I couldn't fathom an electric bill that high. Do you heat with electric?
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 05:01 PM

Wow!!!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 05:07 PM

Might want to shut down the grow operation. This is a red flag.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 05:10 PM

I see your Pennsylvania .
Do you live in a Big White House? grin
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 05:17 PM

Paying for that Christmas cold snap Nittany.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 05:37 PM

Wife said ours has been around 160.. wood heatand hot water from the outdoor boiler. Lp stove. So 160 to run lights, washer and dryer, 3 freezers one fridge, and pump and blowers for the boiler. People are always home so no stretch when people are away at work and school.

Could reduce bit a little using the line instead of the dryer and if the kids would turn off the lights.

In the summer with the Ac it doubles
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 05:40 PM

$74.00
Posted By: Fatheroftwo

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 05:48 PM

24 cents a kWh in middle of the UP, east end of the UP was it was 14 cents a KWh. You can message/email/complain to them, doesn’t do anything of course.
Posted By: willvalley

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 05:49 PM

EVs might still be less to run than fuel Rigs but wait until they get the milage tax on them to make up for lost fuel taxes. Might change a few minds when that happens.
Ted
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 06:14 PM

We turned off the aerators in our pond to see how much we could save. After six weeks the electric company came and replaced our meter. Must have though our meter broke or we were stealing grom them. Our bill went down 60 a month.
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 06:19 PM

Mine went up to about $150 because I got the wife a hot tub. Couldn’t imagine $900+!!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
We turned off the aerators in our pond to see how much we could save. After six weeks the electric company came and replaced our meter. Must have though our meter broke or we were stealing grom them. Our bill went down 60 a month.

LOL I had the same thing happen with the gas co after I put in the wood stove in Dec '78, and I shut down the furnace, pilot light and all. VERY early one Sun am, a gas co guy and a cop beat on my door to "inspect" their equipment! Loved it!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 06:35 PM

For the cold spell ours was 468. But got 3 freezers, 3 refridgerators 4 heating units,(building and she shed climate controlled) Patio room with it's own central H/air, hot tub, . Wife that thinks the dishwasher has to be ran everyday and every piece of laundry must be washed daily . frown
Posted By: Spade

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 06:39 PM

Average 40.00 per month. Dec bill: Actual elect: $8.83-- Elect capacity: $9.83 PSCR: $1.24--Energy Optimization: $0.40--Facility Charge: -- $23.75.

Elect is cheaper in the Eastern UP due to Hydro power on the St. Mary's River.
Posted By: MINK I LOVE

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 06:44 PM

$ 65.57
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 07:10 PM

Over 320.00 last month
Chickens 1 red bulb and 2 cow tank heaters.

1 heat bulb and a milk house heater on low because a "frost free" hydrant is not functioning properly

It usually runs $275.00 or so

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 07:16 PM

The average temperature was 37 degrees according to our bill, last year at the same time it was 35 degrees. My wife predicted it would hit over $900 as she said there was a 30% increase in cost. There are just the two of us, we do not use a dishwasher, she seldom uses a clothes dryer and yes we have electric heat, we have a heat pump that we do not use when the temperature is below 32 degrees because we were told it is not energy efficient at that point 27 years ago when it was installed. In fact, we turn the sucker off for the winter.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 07:53 PM

Unless it’s super cold, I would give the heat pump a little exercise and turn off those strips.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 07:59 PM

are when up 150 dollars when we got the grand kids , 340 a month
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 08:27 PM

Quit charging the e-car and shut off the mini split! grin
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 08:39 PM

Buddies and I were just discussing this. All of our bills for medium sized houses, in town, in Mid-Michigan all ours went up +/- $150 last month compared to previous years. And its been real mild temps.

Consumers Energy, our provider, informed us to expect the increase and to minimize our use, especially for certain hours. They increased the rate from 8 am to 7 pm.

Got my thermostat programed to 63 during the day and 66 when were home.

Corporate greed combined with paying for green energy and less power plants.
Posted By: 1rivercabin53

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 08:42 PM

My elc, was 40.27 and my heat bill was 55.97 last month. Have 4 freezers but live alone so that's help. Have a gas dryer gas cook stove gas heat.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 10:49 PM

The average temperature was 37 degrees according to our bill, last year at the same time it was 35 degrees. My wife predicted it would hit over $900 as she said there was a 30% increase in cost. There are just the two of us, we do not use a dishwasher, she seldom uses a clothes dryer and yes we have electric heat, we have a heat pump that we do not use when the temperature is below 32 degrees because we were told it is not energy efficient at that point 27 years ago when it was installed. In fact, we turn the sucker off for the winter.

Electric hot water? Electric Stove?

That price is insane.
Posted By: charles

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/18/23 10:53 PM

Got a warning email from Duke Energy that mine was up $4 so far.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 01:53 AM

Our was $248, electric everything including a leaking hot water heater which just got replaced. Hoping the bill goes down next month.
Posted By: Squaretimber

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 02:01 AM

Mine was $40 in November. (I don't use much power). It was 80 in Dec and 120 for January
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 02:45 AM

Just think how high it will be in NY , when they REQUIRE everyone to switch over to all electric in their house.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 02:53 AM

That's crazy. How many cents per Kw are you paying?
I assume you're heating with electric, but are you leaving all your doors and windows open?
Posted By: waggler

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 03:07 AM

I just calculated that if I left ALL the heaters in my house on, plus the water heater and all the lights running 24 hours a day for a month it would cost me about $450.00 per month. You guys must either have really high electric rates, or very inefficient homes, or both in order to be paying nearly a grand a month.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 03:17 AM

27 year old heating system, you might want to upgrade, lol.

We have a budget deal here, they average you bill out so you just pay the same amount every month, no real low bills but no sky high one's like that either.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 03:31 AM

our elec. rates have stayed steady, .014/kwh.

Our most expensive months are Dec and Jan, usually about 1$150-$250.
But then in June and July we make a credit of $20-$50.

So for the whole year all of our energy costs are about $600-$800/yr.

All electric home except for wood heat, extra 900 sq ft work shop with elec. heat, 3 freezers, well pump, lift pump in septic, water softener, Iron filter, Dehumidifier in workshop, humidifier in house 2 adults home all the time, so we use more than most.

When we built our house we insulated well over code, made house very air tight. biggest use in energy is home heating/cooling.

Almost never run AC in summer.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 04:05 AM

At 900 + a month I would darn sure figure how I could change something and I would do it yesterday. My electric is like $120 in winter. We installed a electric hot water heater last year so it went from $85 to $120 but we took out the propane hot water heater because our plumber said it was not safe in our space we have. We also installed a new propane furnace which was more efficient. We used to use 800 gallons a year propane. We are down to 300.So that's 500 gallons of propane we would have bought and we did. Pre buy was 2.15 a gallon which would have cost us $1075 for the extra 500 gallons. At the most our extra electric is now $420.We are saving $655 a year.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 11:43 AM

Ours has been $80-$85 a month for the last couple of years. We do however have to buy our own eggs.

WS
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 11:58 AM

Pellet or wood stove asap!
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 12:03 PM

Nittany do you have a pot growing operation?

Maybe need some more insulation....
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 01:13 PM

Bought our place in 2017, with 2 electric boilers, floor heat in both house and shop. Our electric bill, on budget billing was over 600/month so winter bills were close to Nittany's. Switched our both boilers and two electric water heaters for natural gas combo units. The savings were unbelievable initially, until Biden's war on common sense, and now energy costs are creeping back up.
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 01:35 PM

Mine electric bill aint much.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: goatman

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 02:30 PM

Sooner or later people will have to pay for those solar panels. And I'm talking about people without solar will be paying the bill. Facility charges will have to go up to pay for electric grid backup. You can't have transformers,meters, and poles or expensive underground primary sitting there with no return coming in.

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by goatman
Sooner or later people will have to pay for those solar panels. And I'm talking about people without solar will be paying the bill. Facility charges will have to go up to pay for electric grid backup. You can't have transformers,meters, and poles or expensive underground primary sitting there with no return coming in.

I pay aproxx $15 a month for my share of infrastructure,sometimes a little more.I am still hooked to the grid.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/19/23 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by PSB1011
Mine electric bill aint much.
[Linked Image]

A serious set of panels there.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/20/23 07:14 PM

How do you go about getting a $900 electric bill.
Mine is like $150 per month lately. Used to be $100 or less.
To many grow lights.

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/20/23 11:44 PM

I don't get too excited about it, lol. Here is the story. I retired in 2010, my wife is 11 years younger than I. I had a heart attack in 2018 and my wife quit her job and we lived off my retirement income until she turned 65 in 2021. My retirement income was adequate but we did not do much of anything as it was just a wee bit tight. When she turned 65 she started to draw on Social Security and had a pension. She said she would take over the electric bill and would now pay her cell phone. That was two expenses I no longer had to pay out of my income. Our home is 100% electric, she hardly ever uses the dryer, but she does turn on a space heater in the garage at the slop sink so the water doesn't freeze and by her choice she uses a heat lamp when it is really cold for the quail she raises which was by her choice, they are located in a shed. Our house is fairly big and since she pays the electric bill I let her make all the decisions. We have a 27 year old heat pump which she thinks uses more electricity than the base board electric heat. We also have two refrigerators and a freezer. We never use the dishwasher, so that isn't a factor. She predicted this last bill would hit $900 as it was Christmas decorations, and a very cold spell that lasted about two weeks or so, she was going by last years bill for the same time period and added 30% to that bill because she heard the electric company increased their rates by 30%. She claims the heat pump makes a heck of a racket and gets coated with ice if she turns it on. All I know is in the summer it keeps the house cool with Central Air.
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 01:59 AM

I think that I would call the electric company. Ask them to come out and see if you are loosing any electric
in the lines or underground
Posted By: 160user

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 03:16 AM

I realize rates are different across the country but right now I am running (on electric) 2 furnaces, well, 2 fridges, 2 freezers, kitchen range, hot water heater, dryer and a box fan in the garage that runs 24/7 and my bill is still "only" $150 month. I guess I would ask some questions.
Posted By: Kelly

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 04:35 AM

Our natural gas and electric are combined so it’s $223 for last month. We have gas everything with normal house electric, fan on furnace, two refrigerators and the wife keeps a small electric heater in her small greenhouse to keep it above freezing.

Summertime same bill under hundred bucks.
Posted By: Roofbolter

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 07:18 AM

My Deed has free gas. I even have a gas heater in my Tree Stand!! Still looking for a gas TV to go with it!!!
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 11:47 AM

Let's all remember that windmills and solar panel setups are all taxpayer subsidized because on their own cannot show a profit.

Taxpayers in the low and middle class are affected more that higher income earners.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 3togo
Let's all remember that windmills and solar panel setups are all taxpayer subsidized because on their own cannot show a profit.

Like trappers grin Sort of. We don't get a subsidy but we are on the page in the fur markets where it's tricky to show a profit.

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 01:36 PM

It's not a mystery guys. An entire house heated solely with Electric Resistance Heating is going to generate a significant electric bill during the winter months.

There were nine large, two-story homes built on a farm near me about fifteen years ago. All were electric heat only. A few years later some of the new owners were telling me that their winter electric bills were around $600.00-$700.00 a month.

Electric generation and supply rates have increased quite a bit since then, especially in the last year.

Electric Resistance Heating is the least expensive system you can install in a house excepting maybe wood-fueled haters. It is also the most expensive heat system to operate.

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roofbolter
My Deed has free gas. I even have a gas heater in my Tree Stand!! Still looking for a gas TV to go with it!!!

A farm and a few camps near my camp have their own gas wells that provide free heat (other than occasional maintenance on the wells). I looked into having a gas well drilled on my property and found that the mineral rights had been severed by the original owner (a few owners before me).

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 02:33 PM

Taxpayers in the low and middle class are affected more that higher income earners.

Your mortgages are tax payer subsidized also.so are your kids, so is your health insurance.
My kid moved out, and bought his own house, and I paid off my mortgage.The solar panels were the only legal scam I could come up with to shield $90,000 worth of fur I sold that year from federal taxes.
A lot of things are government subsidized at taxpayer expense.And just about everybody is getting government subsidies wether you know it or not.
Just the food you eat is government subsidized.
We are all sinners in this, some more than others,lol
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by PSB1011

Your mortgages are tax payer subsidized also.so are your kids, so is your health insurance.
My kid moved out, and bought his own house, and I paid off my mortgage.The solar panels were the only legal scam I could come up with to shield $90,000 worth of fur I sold that year from federal taxes.
A lot of things are government subsidized at taxpayer expense.And just about everybody is getting government subsidies wether you know it or not.
Just the food you eat is government subsidized.
We are all sinners in this, some more than others,lol

So true Psb!
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 02:55 PM

Being the Gov. doesn't have any money unless they take it from tax payers, they can't subsidies anything. They dole out money to get the results they are seeking with tax payers dough.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/21/23 10:30 PM

Dang!! Looks like you got a leak somewhere!!
Posted By: beeman

Re: Electric bill hits all time high - 01/22/23 12:48 AM

What do you pay a kilowatt hour?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums