Home

Plantar fasciitis

Posted By: Scuba1

Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:07 PM

I got a bum foot. It was not good at all and I had to leave my work trip to Hilton Head island early as it was getting tough to walk from the truck to the boats with and even without carrying my tools. So now I am back home sort of resting that foot. Do any of you have a remedy other than ibuprofen and vodka for Plantar fasciitis. I am not very good at just sitting around and waiting for it to get better.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:09 PM

I wear a PF compression sock when I play softball. They aren't comfortable, but it's better than not having them.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:10 PM

I had it several yrs ago, quit wearing flip flops and only wore supportive shoes. Haven't had a problem since. Not sure what you do short term
Posted By: warrior

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:23 PM

Arch support
Posted By: TrapperDR

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:27 PM

Roll a tennis ball around barefoot to stretch everything back out.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:32 PM

Friggin Painful

I got a cortisone shot in one foot..after toughing it out for months.

Then while at the foot doctors ..I got there "Hard" wicked good arch supports for my work boots

And been fine evah since.

Don't get the Arch supports from anywhere else..
No comparison
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:34 PM

Same here. Arch supports. I dont leave home without them
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by TrapperDR

This^^^
That ball has to stretch you out in the arch of your foot. When you first start it will be as tight as a drum. It'll take a few days to loosen up. I use a lacrosse ball it's harder and a little smaller and really seems to work that arch when you step on the bal and roll your foot back and forth.

And I would recommend a good Bourbon in the mean time

Both the Ball roll on the arch of the foot and the Bourbon should be done at least three times a day
Posted By: Sshaffer

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:39 PM

About 10 years ago I had it so bad I could barely walk. After reading this online I tried it and got relief within a week.
Stand on the first step of a set of stairs.
Brace yourself with one hand on the railing and the other against the wall.
Grip the outer edge of the step with toes only and heel in mid-air.
Slowly lower your heels as far as you can.
Then raise them back up to level.
Repeat as many reps as you can morning and night.
I got immediate relief but it came back over a couple hours.
After a week or so it left and never came back.
Worked for me.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Arch support

This and n-saids. Learn to stretch it or get a night brace.
Posted By: corky

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:44 PM

I filled a small plastic soda bottle with water and froze it. Then I rolled that under my foot. Worked good.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:47 PM

I have the same problem, including a ganglion which tends to pop periodically. SO, when mine finally got so bad I had to stop trapping a few weeks back I got things under control.

Go to Amazon; I got one of the sleeves listed below and an inexpensive arch support for the foot that is causing the problem. Now I will tell you the sleeve is extremely tight and hard to get on. I figured it would cut off circulation, if I ever got it on. Eventually, I got it on and pulled up to fit, put the arch support in shoe and almost immediately the pain was gone when I walked. I said it was tight and my shoe size is 11 D. The ad says good for male up to size 13. But by golly it does work.

[Linked Image]

I don't know why they put it on a black manacan leg and foot. It is harder to see.

I wear it for 3 or 4 days and the not only does the ganglion go away, but the foot stops hurting. I have tried leaving it on over night and it doesn't seem to make the foot swell, but I usually take it off during the night. After a few days I don't put it on. I presently have it on again as the ganglion is protruding again. After I leave it off, I still put the cheap little heavy paper arch support in my shoe or even change it from shoe to shoe. Any more questions... just ask.

Garry-
Posted By: trapper_noob

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:54 PM

if you have coverage you can go to a chiro or physio. once or twice a week for a month. they will help with the healing.
then buy good arch supports, they ain't cheap, but there is no going back.
https://yoursole.com/
Posted By: riverratdm

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:54 PM

Got insoles from walmart for it put them in my work boots. Worked for me.
Posted By: charles

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:58 PM

stretching helped me. I have a pair of cowboy boots that seem to worsen mine, whenever I have it. Seems mine is more common in winter months.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 10:59 PM

These are magic! https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-FASCIITIS-Orthotics-Fasciitis/dp/B01MPYEAI5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=WES0GD40N289&keywords=dr+scholls+plantar+fasciitis+inserts+men&qid=1673045862&sprefix=Dr+scholls+pla%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-4
Posted By: Mac

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 11:01 PM

Quite a while ago, maybe 15 years or so, I had a bad case of it one foot. It got to the point that it was very painful, to the point of being almost unbearable when walking.
I suffered a long time before I gave up and went to my doctor. I figured it was just a symptom of my bad back and from years of carpentry work. I figured it would straighten out.

I finally went to my doctor and he diagnosed it as Plantar fasciitis. He set me up with physical therapy. Actually tried two PT outfits. They gave me some stretching exercises.
They helped a little, but I was still in a lot of pain..

Back then I could scrap up enough for a massage once in a blue moon. I have a really bad back and it helped a lot.

I had a great massage therapist so called and asked if she could do anything for this ailment.
She said she had a treatment for it. It was three treatments, working on the calf and foot. What a giant relief! She gave me exercises that were similar to what PT had give me but a bit different. She said that bad thing is you need to continue doing the stretching forever as maintenance.

I had suffered several weeks before seeing PT then a few more weeks. Three treatments of her loosing the ligaments and tendons, stretch the muscles, I was back to feeling decent in about two weeks. So it might pay to ask around. Those treatments were unbelievably effective.

Mac
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by corky

I filled a small plastic soda bottle with water and froze it. Then I rolled that under my foot. Worked good.

Same worked for me.

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale

This^^^
That ball has to stretch you out in the arch of your foot. When you first start it will be as tight as a drum. It'll take a few days to loosen up. I use a lacrosse ball it's harder and a little smaller and really seems to work that arch when you step on the bal and roll your foot back and forth.

And I would recommend a good Bourbon in the mean time

Both the Ball roll on the arch of the foot and the Bourbon should be done at least three times a day

I found that a good single malt or drambuie worked better.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 11:36 PM

If you have it bad you need to go to a podiatrist and get custom orthotics, you will be glad you did.

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 11:38 PM

Consider tossing your current boot if it was lacking support like mine were. Look for something with better arch support. Once it's cleared up prevention is the key to not having more flare ups.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/06/23 11:50 PM

Get a pair of gdefy shoes and wear them everyday. I suffered for more than 2 years and tried everything listed in this thread.

Gdefy shoes worked and continue to work.

My doc recommended them.
Posted By: cmj

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 12:06 AM

My wife had that. She did the frozen bottle trick and she found a round piece of foam that worked better than the bottle and wasnt cold. She also bought special shoes from Appalachian running company that helped alot. Hers normally acted up when there was cleaning or laundry to do?? Hasnt had any pain in a couple years.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 12:28 AM

I did the frozen water bottle
standing on the bottom stair a few minutes every couple hours doing heal drops

the thing that helped me the most besides stretching , is not walking around the house in stocking feet

I get out of bed and I can wear my house shoes that are crocks for a little while like to hit the head and start the coffee then every day of the week good socks and good shoes inside and out side.

if it starts coming back switch shoes and go buy a new pair when you find the shoes that work for you you might buy a second pair to keep ready

Sadly your days of mountain climbing in flip flops might be over

when your looking for hot weather sea side footware Teva sandals are a place to start looking
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 12:41 AM

Custom Inserts. Eric

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 01:04 AM

So I guess I'll have to start looking for a pair of laced boots that will have room for insoles with arch support. Meanwhile Ill do the stretchy thing and some ibuprofen washed down with a helping of Irish whiskey. ... Thank you good folks for all the input. I hate it when I get side tracked because of my body not working the way to should. I did manage to run the wood splitter for a while and do some tractor maintenance and a few chores around the house before I had to quit again though. Not using it yesterday while driving home for 7 hours helped some. Nearly fell on my snout when I got out of the truck and put some sudden weight on it though blush
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 01:45 AM

It suck’s until you can get it stretched out hope you get it stretched out soon.
Posted By: NEYotetrapper

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 02:07 AM

Custom arch supports x 11. Been said many times already, but that is the only thing that made it so I could stand for more than an hour at a time for a short period of time. I had it in both feet, not sure what caused it and have never had it that bad again and I dont have custom arch supports in all my shoes currently. My feet hurt so bad for a time that I literally had to drag a stool around the shop, because the pain made my knees want to buckle if I stood for more than a few minutes.
Posted By: JBR

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 06:49 PM

Never had PF but have had insertional Achilles tendinitis in both my feet. Ended up getting an Achilles’ tendon debridement in each foot. Had my last one in June 2022 and am stiffly under physical therapy for it.
Hope yours get better id recommended going to a GOOD foot doctor and going from there

This is part of the reason I was medicated retired
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 07:01 PM

I had it bad. Both feet. shots, then 30 days later shots again. Cleared it up. but the Doc had me start using these inserts. Haven't had a problem since. Been about 10 years now.
Jerk the cheap inserts out of your shoes and put these in there. Put them in all your shoes. This is the amazon link, but I am able to get them at my local pharmacy for $28.00 a pair.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerstep-Pi...&hvtargid=pla-382916365133&psc=1
Posted By: uplandpointer

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 07:24 PM

A chiropractor fixed my feet, then quality shoes/boots keep them good.
Posted By: farmnhunt

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 08:06 PM

Good boots with great insoles. Do the stretching and rolling exercises all the time, anytime your setting do the stretches the more the better. If you sleep on your stomach, move down and sleep with feet hanging over the bed so the aren't straight with your legs.

These items cured mine. I still do the stretching and were good boots.

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 08:24 PM

I got those compression sleeves today and put them on. Doing a bunch of stretching exercises and for now got some Dr. Sholls insoles to tie me over. Next time I get into town I'll visit the folks that make and fit those arch support insoles and get myself a pair of boots of the lace up kind they can be fitted into. Thanks again for all the input getting me on the right track with this thing.

And yes Garry you are right, those sleeves are tight. If it was not for your post I would have thought they are the wrong size. May need a can opener and a tyre iron to get it off later grin
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 10:05 PM

I also got the boot....you use to pull your foot to a 90 degree angle ...while resting or sleeping.

But since I got the cortisone shot and those Foot Doctor Rigid arch supports....no more pain
Posted By: Actor

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/07/23 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
And yes Garry you are right, those sleeves are tight. If it was not for your post I would have thought they are the wrong size. May need a can opener and a tyre iron to get it off later grin

Scuba1... I found the easiest way to pull them on as far as they easily go... then start roll first the top and then from the toe end. then finish pulling from the top. Not easy, but dang then do make front feel better. I couldn't take a step without it killing me... then once I got them on and cheap insole, it is like night and day. They peel of pretty easy, grab the top and pull them down and off. I spent 4 or 5hours researching everything I could find out about what was going on with my foot and figured that is what it had to be and then went from there. No, I don't have a medical degree, but I lived with a very smart, good looking female orthopedic doctor for over a year. Plus my 149 I.Q. give me a little bit of leverage in figuring things out.

Garry-

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 02:15 PM

After a day of wearing that sleeve and not doing a bunch of walking, I can now move around without to much pain. ( a big improvement ) Going to make an appointment for this week to have some arch support things fitted. Before I do that, I have to go boot shopping. I guess that boots that lace up and are above the ankle are going to be what I should get. Something of decent quality that will last a while , so its worth putting those inserts in.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 02:47 PM

This is what I wear, 99% of the time. Get a pair of 'loggers'. smile

[Linked Image]

Add arch supports as needed. Great ankle support, and good 'traction'. grin

Charlie

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 02:52 PM

You don't necessarily need lace ups or least once the pain is in check. I wear lacrosse grange boots daily but I'm constantly paying attention to my feet now. Any discomfort at all has me taking corrective action.

For me it's not a permanent condition, more of a don't abuse my feet thing.
Posted By: gary j

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 03:17 PM

Scuba, this is what I wear in every boot, shoe and sandal that I own. I use shoe-goo and glue the in the sandals. 25 years ago had Plantar Fascitious and tried everything from custom orthotics and I bought a pair of these and put them in my knee high rubber boots and ran my chainsaw for 5 straight hours at my shack and never looked back. The have a good arch support. Do not walk on hard surfaces with only socks or barefoot.
Gary j https://www.amazon.com/POWERSTEP-PI...rgid=pla-370603015342&th=1&psc=1
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 05:14 PM

Gary Those are what I use also.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 05:27 PM

Dad has had knee issues for years, he would medicate with some whiskey... VA doc told him to cut that out...Alcohol makes you feel better short term... But it exacerbates joint inflammation.

Minimize the sauce.

Mike

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Dad has had knee issues for years, he would medicate with some whiskey... VA doc told him to cut that out...Alcohol makes you feel better short term... But it exacerbates joint inflammation.

Minimize the sauce.

Mike

Spoil sport
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 05:54 PM

Had it for months the tennis ball trick worked for me but it hurt pretty good that's how I knew it was working
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Minimize the sauce.

Mike

Spoil sport

Now to be fair, YOU will have to judge how credible that advice is... After the last couple of years it's a roll of the dice on what to believe.

Mike
Posted By: jtg

Re: Plantar fasciitis - 01/08/23 06:54 PM

The book the Plantar Fasciitis Survival Guide.
Check out the Knees over toes guy on Youtube.
Barefoot shoes outside and walk barefoot anytime your inside your house.
Stretching twice daily and use a timer for two minutes for each stretch. Make sure you stretch your hamstrings as well.
Night Splints and toe spreaders.
I was at the point where the podiatrist wanted to cut a bone and do surgery. I am better now by doing the above.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums