Home

Trophy duck hunt

Posted By: larrywaugh

Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 07:26 PM

I am wanting to go on a duck hunt to shoot ducks not found in my area. Some of the ducks I would like to hunt are hooded mergansers bufflehead canvasbacks sea ducks any uncommon geese. Looking for info on where to go to have the opportunity for as many species as possible. I am looking for info on where to go and approximate price. This kansas boy doesn't know where to start so any info is appreciated.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 07:34 PM

Send a pm to Coondagger2 , he’s knowledgeable about that
Posted By: SJA

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 07:40 PM

Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Posted By: PWC

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 07:54 PM

Look up Elkton outfitters, in Elkton Oregon.

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 08:20 PM

Ok I will check them out.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 08:25 PM

Doesn't just about every form of goose pass through Kansas on there way south?

As for the ducks you listed Saginaw bay in lower Michigan has all of those in numbers in the fall.

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 08:42 PM

About the only geese we get are Canada and snows rarely we will get a flock of whitefronts.
Posted By: RickA

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 08:45 PM

Rising Sun Outfitters in Maine. Been there twice. Ernie will get the job done for you.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 08:53 PM

No help, but I seen a few swans flying your direction last week. Not sure if you can even shoot the things, but it was neat to see as I had never seen more than one or two at a time. Didn't count them as I was in awe and a little surprised, but must have been a dozen or more in the group. I have never been a duck or goose hunter, but do enjoy seeing them and am happy for those that do hunt them. Hope you can find the info leading to your dream hunt.
Posted By: gary j

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 09:22 PM

In Duluth we have a sportsmans convention the middle of Feb and our Mn trappers Association has a booth for education and fur sales. Last year there was a taxidermist from, I think Mi, that had a booth with mainly ducks displayed and he told me about his duck hunting trips in Alaska that he would take. He was a hard core duck hunter after all kinds of Sea Ducks. He spent lots of money chasing them, plus he would hunt along the eastern seaboard for all kinds of ducks as well. I will make a point to find him if he is there and post his info on this site.
Gary J

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 10:08 PM

Andrew I have seen 2 flocks of swans in the last week I know there are places they are legal to hunt but kansas isn't one of them.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Colpetzer
Send a pm to Coondagger2 , he’s knowledgeable about that

This. He was posting the other day about trying to shoot one of every duck in north America and he only had like 5 left to do. Sure he could steer you in the right direction.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/27/22 11:37 PM

Aleutian Island Waterfowl, They shoot King Eiders, Brant, Empire Geese, Harlequin, Long Tail Aleutian Green wing. It would be a hunt like now other.
Posted By: Trapper Bo

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 12:23 AM

Can kill all those except sea ducks over on the Missouri River. Plus goldeneyes. We used to quit shooting mergansers we saw so many.
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper Bo
Can kill all those except sea ducks over on the Missouri River. Plus goldeneyes. We used to quit shooting mergansers we saw so many.

I was going to say the same about the Mississippi. Plus blue bill, and red heads I'm sure there are others.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 12:39 AM

Hooded Mergs…one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 12:59 AM

I only want to shoot a hooded merganser because they are beautiful and very rare here. I have mounted 3 or 4 of them they are the nastiest smelling duck I have ever skinned lol.
Posted By: Mike N.

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 01:06 AM

There's opportunities for all those in Kansas except the sea ducks. Even the whitefronts.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 01:06 AM

A fish eating duck we won’t even shoot anymore because duck meat that taste like fish, SUCKS!!
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 01:41 AM

Got hoodies and bufflehead here in abundance. PM me if you’re interested in Maryland I could hook you up with a guide
Posted By: hipp2412

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 02:00 AM

Chesapeake Bay Maryland for sure. I was just there last week and we shot Surf Scoter, Common Scoters, Old Squaw, Blue Bills and Buffleheads. We saw Redheads and a couple Pintails. No shot though. I have hunted with Livingston Waterfowlers for 20 years and we always got a lot of shooting. Its $200 per hunter. The more foul weather there is north of Maryland the more birds that will be there.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by larrywaugh
Andrew I have seen 2 flocks of swans in the last week I know there are places they are legal to hunt but kansas isn't one of them.

In N.D. you can apply and get Swan tags. I have shot lots of them as it's easy to get tags. Give it a try, there easy to hunt.

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 01:52 PM

Where I'm at in ks we mainly shoot mallards gradually teal and woodducks. Rarely we will get a pintail or widgets. About the only diving ducks we get here are ringnecks.

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 01:52 PM

The sea duck hunt in Maine looks cool.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 02:06 PM

Larry, I recommend south Texas Salt Marsh to anyone wanting to go on a trip and cross off as many species as possible. Good weather and tons of birds. No hooded mergansers there, but they have pintail, redheads, bluebills, wigeon, teal, etc.

Here's a couple hunts from last January down there, all freelance hunting public land

8 man limit of all drake redheads and another day with an 8 man limit of pintails

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 03:32 PM

Coondagger I have killed all of the ducks listed but a hunt in Texas would be cool just for the variety. Someone said you had killed all but 5 species what are you still after.

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 03:42 PM

I am still after my king eider, harlequin, barrows goldeneye, and my tree ducks. Need to go to Alaska and Florida to finish out. Going to try to go to florida in a few weeks if work schedule allows

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 03:47 PM

That would be quite an accomplishment if you get them all.
Posted By: charles

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 03:48 PM

Call Odens Dock in Hatteras NC. Many of those ducks fly through their blinds.

Re: Trophy duck hunt - 12/28/22 07:59 PM

Larry, another cool one would be to go to florida and shoot tree ducks and mottled ducks. Most guides down there use airboats for hunting. Can't really do that anywhere else!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums