Home

Trail Cameras

Posted By: Turkeyeggsaver

Trail Cameras - 12/24/22 10:01 PM

What is your favorite trail camera under $175.00? I been running Browning Strike Force but looking to try a different brand.
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/24/22 10:51 PM

I been using moultrie and they have been working fine for me.
Posted By: Born

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/24/22 11:42 PM

I have been using Spypoint link micro lte cell cams. The quality of the photos sent is not HD which stinks but you get 100 photos sent to your phone free each month. If you camera has taken 200 photos that month they will not bulk send at the beginning of the month. All photos are saved to sd card at whatever resolution you choose. Easy to set up and can change settings from phone app.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 12:24 AM

Check out Natchez Shooter Supply they have one on close out $64
Posted By: Roofbolter

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 12:28 AM

checkout Midway USA. They have three for 79,00
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 12:39 AM

tacta cam cell cam if you want to spend that much. Check out my thread about cool pics! THATS the cell feed. Pics taken off the sd card are even better.

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 12:54 AM

I also saw a deal on Bog trail cameras 34$ each cannot remember where though.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 01:05 AM

I've changed from Simmons to Garde Pro E5, not a cell but just a good all round camera, daylight or nite time great pictures, pics or video with or without sound. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Easy set-up, and you get free updates.

Amazon has them on sale

GardePro E5S Trail Camera 32mp 1296p HD Game Cameras with 100ft Night Vision Ultra Fast 0.1s Motion Activated Waterproof (Camo)
4.2 out of 5 stars 135
Limited time deal
$49.19
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 01:19 AM

^^^ nice pics of the fox

I have had good luck with stealth cam. They last about 4 seasons before going bad. I have bought more expensive ones that have not lasted that long. The stealth cam seems like it is the best picture quality for me. I may check out the camera above though
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 01:33 AM

For coyotes Browning Spec ops are the only ones I've found that work reasonably well on coyotes. They miss some action sometimes but not as much as the other I've tried the also have very sensitive triggers when it comes to the wind blowing vegetation around. Stealth cams are decent for deer. More I use cams the more see the differences in the higher quality cams. But I haven't tried them all. But my experience is they all miss some animals some are just worse than others. Did get some tactacams cellular ones this fall for deer and am satisfied with them.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 02:56 AM

I suspect that this business with cellular trail cams is going to be forced on us in the not so distant future. I am not willing to pay that kind of money for another opportunity for Verizon to screw me. I think eventually all will be cellular and no alternative.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 02:13 PM

As far as cell cams go you can activate them,get the settings you want and then suspend them and use as a plain trail cam. No cost then. I have several Tactacams and only have a subscription on one. The others are just trail cams. The flash on these are long distance. Even on low setting which all mine are. I've heard good things about the Garde camera. Check out Trail Cam Pro and decide for yourself. And remember most if not all take better videos at night than pictures. Battery type is also a factor in winter.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 05:45 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 06:55 PM

Thank you Spade! My wife just ordered Me 2 GardePro E5S for $49.19.

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/25/22 11:50 PM

Spade how long do the batteries last?
Posted By: Pofarmer10

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/26/22 12:05 AM

I have a GardePro A3 and I like it because I ain't got a phone yet and I can look at pics with out taking the SD card home to computer.

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/26/22 02:36 PM

Here is another deal for trail cameras Lancaster archery. Muddy MTC100 Pro Cam 12 Game Camera (3-Pack) 90$

https://lancasterarchery.com/products/muddy-mtc100-pro-cam-12-game-camera-3-pack?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&utm_campaign=December%202022%20-%20Post%20Christmas%20Sale%20%28Treat%20Yourself%29&_kx=SE1ziHR2ZY-KPFot8-6Z-URtWBsGSwc_YJu-9NXoNJY%3D.RLicW7
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/26/22 03:46 PM

I think I would frame that top picture of that red fox! Looks awesome!
Posted By: KKS

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 01:02 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 01:42 AM

For the cell cameras I assume you have to have cell service for them to work, correct? If so, they would be useless on most of my hunting and trapping areas
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 01:53 AM

I like the brownings and moultrie dark ops but have been using some tasco that only cost 32 bucks and I`m happy with them so far.Been running around 10 of them for two years now. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:06 AM

Yes sir on the trail cams having to have a signal. The good thing is multiple options. My cell service is with AT&T and I have very little service on two of the properties I trap. I bought all Verizon cameras after I took my son with me and his cell phone (Verizon) worked fine.
I’ll admit trail cams aren’t a necessity when trapping, but I can sure learn a lot from them. Back when I checked well before daylight, I was pulling out of the driveway when a camera went off and sent an alert. I had a coyote investigating. Next pic he was caught. As I got to the gate of the property I checked the camera again and saw eyes in the background of the caught coyote. I waited a few minutes and when the camera sent another alert and I had a double.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by forestman3
I like the brownings and moultrie dark ops but have been using some tasco that only cost 32 bucks and I`m happy with them so far.Been running around 10 of them for two years now. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

^^^If you’re just wanting pics, this is the way to go ^^^

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:12 AM

Wouldn’t matter what provider you had in most of my areas, there is zero cell service for many many miles. Just means I don’t need to spend the extra cash for that feature lol
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by forestman3
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Glad you brought the Tasco cams up. I have used all manner of trail cams over the years. Cheap to expensive. They all had good points and bad and they all eventually failed. The Tasco cams for $32 or so have held up very well and I will be buying quite a few more before they are discontinued or revamped. Will just store them so when the current models die, and they all do, I can replace them from my stock. If one or two are stolen you are only out $40.00 per cam with batteries and sd card. I was surprised at how good of photos that they take and game animals do not seem spooked by them.

Chris

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:22 AM

I want some mainly for scouting fox and bobcat. Do the Tasco pick up well on animals that size?

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:28 AM

I know a lot of guys use the cheaper cameras and are happy, and I will say I haven't tried them all but will caution everyone the more I use cameras for both for deer and coyotes the more I'm learning how much action they cam miss. And the cheaper cameras I've tried are generally worse. And sometimes we just don't realize how much this is happening. Even the higher $ Brownings miss a few more animals than I like. The smaller animals like coyotes and cats are worse than deer. Really started seeing this problem when testing lures and I'd see a test set worked by a coyote and not get it on camera. Or actually see a deer pass by a camera while hunting and check the camera later and not have pics of it. Had one camera I was using for deer last year that was getting some pics but after a month it just didn't seem to be near enough pics for the amount of sign there so I put another camera on that location and immediately started getting 5 times the number of pics. I still use some of the cheaper ones on deer but try to use them in thicker cover set right on the trails where they are walking right at camera and have to get real close. The Browning Dark ops I thought are real bad about misses for their price point. I even see a little variation in cameras of the same models. Just some food for thought.

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
I want some mainly for scouting fox and bobcat. Do the Tasco pick up well on animals that size?

It will capture bobcat and fox. Will a $250 camera capture better? Yes. I like running 10 game cams at a time so cost is a factor. They all will fail and need to be replaced. Some will get stolen or vandalized.

Chris

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:42 AM

My experience is cats are the easiest for camera to miss. My guess is because they are generally smaller and move slower.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bob

Yes, I have a fox and coon family that visit and are caught of video regularly. Don't seem to bother the wildlife, have had does come up and lick the cam at night and a fawn laid down under one, had a hour of video of just the ears twitching. They are regularly triggered by leaves being blown, snow, squirrels and the neighbor's dog. AA batteries and 16 MB card last me about 4-5 months of 15 sec video/trigger. Range from up close (0') out to about 45' at night.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Turkeyeggsaver
Spade how long do the batteries last?

Depends on whether you're using just pics or video and for how long 10,15,30 seconds and/or sound. I sent mine up or it only shoots at certain times, most just at night. Durig the summer I ran the cameras for 6 months on video before having to change them. Right now, they have run 2 months, in the cold. I like the fact they have extra cameras on the sides for wider shots. There customer service is top notch in my book, they will walk you thru any problems you might be experiencing.
Here is another pic I got the other day:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hillbillyjake

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 11:32 AM

Which model of the Tasco camera is everyone using and where is the best place to get them? Asking specifically about the $32 ones mentioned above.

Also, does anyone use rechargeable batteries? Brand and model if you do. If so, how long do the rechargsables last in the colder temps? Thanks.
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 12:50 PM

I’m happy with the SPYPOINT flex. Sharper pics sent. I’ve also got the cheaper link lte. Pics aren’t a good. Sends pics with 2 bars signal. Must use good lithium batteries in the cold. Sending a million pics of birds for 3 weeks now. Battery level at -30ish goes down to 20% warms up to -15 or 20 and it’s back up to 70%.

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 01:04 PM

Walmart is where I bought the Tasco trail cams. I have only used AA alkaline batteries and have not had to change them this season. (5 months of use in northern Wisconsin)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tasco-12-MP-Tan-Low-Glow-Trail-Camera-119274CW/356547710?athbdg=L1200

Chris
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/27/22 02:56 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Happy with a Muddy for less than $50 batteries and SD included

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/28/22 10:57 AM

Thank you, Hodagtrapper

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/28/22 11:13 AM

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...H9pOc_AIV1RTUAR3xmg7sEAQYASABEgJ3QvD_BwE

Found these Muddy's at Midway. I may try these for the price.

Re: Trail Cameras - 12/28/22 10:37 PM

I also bought a 3 pack of the Muddy Cams. Not near as nice as the Tasco's IMO.

Chris
© 2024 Trapperman Forums