Home

Sold some fur

Posted By: The Beav

Sold some fur - 11/27/22 07:31 PM

All fur was put up.

One coyote $5.00

2 coon @ 3.00 ea

2 coon @ .50 cents ea

The coon were Oct caught and blue as the sky. Incidentals to my ADC work.

14 rats @ $.300 ea

13 rats @ $ 2.00 ea

19 rats @ $1.00 ea

22 rats @ 0.50 ea

I still have some rats and will see how things go. But as of now there Is NO market for rats.
Guy also said that he had bought some grease coon for a $5.00 average and you could add another $2.00 bucks for put up stuff.

All the rats were also caught In early Oct doing ADC work.
Posted By: Kmax8

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 08:02 PM

Little of something is better than a whole lot of nothing!!
Posted By: 160user

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 08:14 PM

Thank you for posting and I am glad I didn't set a trap earlier this year.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 08:35 PM

Makin' bank!
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 09:17 PM

'rats under $2 i would cut up for lure holders

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 09:28 PM

The thing Is I got $10.00 to catch each one of those rats. so another $100.00 Is just icing on the cake.
Posted By: 160user

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 09:42 PM

How many of my coon will you put up for me at $.50 each? smile
Posted By: Boco

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 10:22 PM

Just think of all the harm you are doing to the market by dumping inferior fur into it.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by 160user
How many of my coon will you put up for me at $.50 each? smile

Icing on the rat cake. smile
Posted By: MJM

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Just think of all the harm you are doing to the market by dumping inferior fur into it.

There is no market. You missed that some how.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 10:52 PM

LMBO @ you missed that.
Thanks for posting Beav!

Re: Sold some fur - 11/27/22 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
LMBO @ you missed that.
Thanks for posting Beav!

They wouldnt be buying if there was NO market einsteins.
Keep it low for as long as possible.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
All fur was put up.

One coyote $5.00

2 coon @ 3.00 ea

2 coon @ .50 cents ea

14 rats @ $.300 ea

13 rats @ $ 2.00 ea

19 rats @ $1.00 ea

22 rats @ 0.50 ea

I still have some rats and will see how things go. But as of now there Is NO market for rats.
Guy also said that he had bought some grease coon for a $5.00 average and you could add another $2.00 bucks for put up stuff.

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 12:22 AM

i have a post in trap shed looking for rats......
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 02:36 AM

I have the highest percentage of poor rats this season I have ever had. Does not bode well in this poor market. Thanks for posting Beav I will now have to adjust my Christmas gifts down quite a bit!

Bryce
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
All fur was put up.

One coyote $5.00

2 coon @ 3.00 ea

2 coon @ .50 cents ea

14 rats @ $.300 ea

13 rats @ $ 2.00 ea

19 rats @ $1.00 ea

22 rats @ 0.50 ea

I guess everyone has their own definition of ‘selling’ fur. I hope you have a typo on the 14 rats at $.300 ea
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 11:46 AM

A for effort Beav.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 11:53 AM

I didn't bring any fur to sell last night but if there's any consolation - I dropped off 6 deer hides with Groeny and got 6 nice pairs of camo gloves. He was 20 minutes early and when I was there, only 3 people in line with deer hides and 1 racoon- hopefully others showed up after to make the route worthwhile for him. Thanks for posting Beav- it is what it is.
Posted By: keets

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 11:55 AM

thanks for reporting Beav!....
Posted By: mpb475

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 12:06 PM

I sold to Groeny yesterday as well. I was the ONLY person at that particular stop. All fur was put up.

Rats were from 3.00 down to .50, 1.43 average. Guy said some rats may reach a 4.00 level in the winter.

Coon were 1.00 to 15.00, 4.56 average. I cherry picked the coon that I put up, the smallest that I put up this year were 3x.

Coyotes were 1.00 to 5.00.

Red fox was 4.00, and mink was a buck. Only had one of each.
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 12:19 PM

OUCH!
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 01:05 PM

No surprise I guess With the lockdown and protests in China short term doesn’t look likely it gets much better.
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 01:46 PM

Thanks for the info. Glad that you have a way to make it pay.
Posted By: spjones

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 01:55 PM

The Covid lockdowns in China are unsubstantable, hopefully the mass protests speed up the return to normal

And a return of some kind of demand in fur
Posted By: Joe1

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 02:23 PM

dont know that i would call that icing sounds like lacking something to do good to see you getting paid good for catching them though
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 02:34 PM

Thanks Beav. Poor prices but at least we know what the market is or should I say isn't.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 03:18 PM

Dollar for a put up Mink. I like trapping, but that's a slap in the face.

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 03:25 PM

The other day I was bustin brush trying to find my trail in the forest with all the beetle killed spruce lying everywhere. I kept getting slapped in the face with alders and willows and thought, " This really sucks!" . Well it don't suck as bad as selling fur to groeny! smile
Posted By: mink99

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by blackhammer
No surprise I guess With the lockdown and protests in China short term doesn’t look likely it gets much better.

This has me worried. Our main market is once again locked down. Can't buy fur when you can't even buy food. Surprised groeney is buying at all.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 04:00 PM

The logjam in China will eventually break, but right now may be the worst possible time to try to sell some fur, unless you just want to be rid of it. One of the disadvantages of the auction house was the long delay in getting things sold. That delay might be an advantage this year. And there isn't much risk, because the market can't decline much more.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 05:42 PM

Haining City is the fur center of China, a suburb of Shanghai where millions of people are now locked down. This all will eventually end and things will return to some semblance of "nomal" at some point. But I think this year we may just write off selling fur to China or Russia/Ukraine. Keep it all frozen.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 05:47 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: charles

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 06:56 PM

What do you plan to do with all that money?

Re: Sold some fur - 11/28/22 10:19 PM

Beav is gonna invest it on booze hookers and gambling and then just squander the rest.

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 12:14 AM

LOL
Boco I'm to old for hookers and one beer will get me a bit dizzy and I worked to hard to spend It on gambling. So I'm committed to deer hunting until spring when I start my ADC contracts. I'm not skinning $5.00 coyotes.

The nearly $4,000 I made doing ADC work Is In my savings account.
I'm trapping a few coon for a limited market. Things aren't going to good though. I have only caught one and 2 grinders. This cold weather has those coon holed up.
Posted By: Mac McAtee

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Haining City is the fur center of China, a suburb of Shanghai where millions of people are now locked down. This all will eventually end and things will return to some semblance of "nomal" at some point. But I think this year we may just write off selling fur to China or Russia/Ukraine. Keep it all frozen.

25 million people live in Shanghai. Largest city in the world, three times larger than NY City. I can't imagine that the leadership of China can continue this.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
Thank you for posting and I am glad I didn't set a trap earlier this year.

Me Also
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 07:52 PM

$4.00 Wisconsin Red Fox? Put up!
Posted By: YaYa

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Dollar for a put up Mink. I like trapping, but that's a slap in the face.

Was it prime or still blue?
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 10:00 PM

Folks, there is a dilemma that is going on. A fur buyer on routes will only have so much he/she can go up in price because they are not the end user. So I am not talking about those people, they are more or less executing and no matter what way you split it they will need to make money to do what they do.

The animal fur is worth far more than any prices listed here, and at the end of the day we just shouldn't sell for that price. We need a minimum price list that WE, the trapping industry send out to all the fur buyers and/or the end user. They will pay it as long as we are within a certain percentage, but right now we are just letting foreign buyers scalp us for pennies. I'll sell a non-fleshed raccoon for $3, but that's the minimum. If they want a put up raccoon, the minimum price is $6 and that's gonna be for the southern raccoon. If the foreign buyers don't want to pay our prices AND sell their jackets with our fur....we will either make the jacket ourselves or buy the factory out and keep making the jacket. Just saying.

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 10:04 PM

Capitalists dont like marketing boards.
Trappers are Capitalists.
They tried to get a fur marketing board going in Canada a couple times-always shot down by the trappers.Basically,only the Quebec trappers were supportive.
Posted By: Pofarmer10

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 10:54 PM

Was that $3.00 for the rats?
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 11:08 PM

We need to get Elon Musk interested in fur.
Posted By: N.Roberts

Re: Sold some fur - 11/29/22 11:25 PM

Thanks for sharing Gary
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Eagleye
I didn't bring any fur to sell last night but if there's any consolation - I dropped off 6 deer hides with Groeny and got 6 nice pairs of camo gloves. He was 20 minutes early and when I was there, only 3 people in line with deer hides and 1 racoon- hopefully others showed up after to make the route worthwhile for him. Thanks for posting Beav- it is what it is.

How is that a good thing? Were they deer skin camo gloves? I can buy camo gloves for .99 cents. Not saying anything about Groeny, but that is just as lopsided as the Beav and his prices IMO.

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by MattLA
Folks, there is a dilemma that is going on. A fur buyer on routes will only have so much he/she can go up in price because they are not the end user. So I am not talking about those people, they are more or less executing and no matter what way you split it they will need to make money to do what they do.

The animal fur is worth far more than any prices listed here, and at the end of the day we just shouldn't sell for that price. We need a minimum price list that WE, the trapping industry send out to all the fur buyers and/or the end user. They will pay it as long as we are within a certain percentage, but right now we are just letting foreign buyers scalp us for pennies. I'll sell a non-fleshed raccoon for $3, but that's the minimum. If they want a put up raccoon, the minimum price is $6 and that's gonna be for the southern raccoon. If the foreign buyers don't want to pay our prices AND sell their jackets with our fur....we will either make the jacket ourselves or buy the factory out and keep making the jacket. Just saying.
very limited intrest in fur no one wants it at any price.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 01:49 AM

Get out your checkbook and make it happen!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 04:05 AM

If we want a designated price that is supported to encourage harvest then do we also want to have trap number limits, Area or size of trap line limits or do we want to create registered lines that we pay for and either do that annually or longer term? Let us say we set rats at $6 with a high low range ofr $2-$9. If the market is willing to pay say $4 how many will get sold? I for one don't want to hold on to 3-4 years of rats with my poor storage facilities I have now waiting for the price to rise so I can clear out the inventory. There are millions of hides out there yet that need to be put into the chain. Those holding that fur have deeper pockets then I do or many of us have.

Bryce

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 04:57 AM

You would not have to hold any.If you go over quota those skins would not be able to be sold,they would be destroyed to protect the price.You may also get fined for going over your quota.
The reason fur marketing board was shot down by the trappers was that the smaller trapper/producer would soon be squeezed out and only the top producers would dominate.Like happens with other agricultural marketing boards.
We have different agricultural marketing boards here-milk marketing board is one that keeps the price of milk stable.Farmers know exactly what they will get for their milk quotas.When a farmer wants to retire he can sell his quota to another producer who wants to expand..

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 05:39 AM

prices are a reflection of supply and demand.....wild fur has one major competitor( ranch fur) that is very hard to compete with
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Eagleye

How is that a good thing? Were they deer skin camo gloves? I can buy camo gloves for .99 cents. Not saying anything about Groeny, but that is just as lopsided as the Beav and his prices IMO.

You're not getting these gloves for $.99... Hand Armor Deerskin premium gloves with 100 Gr of heatlok- worth more than the $4 to sell the hide to me at least.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by wallfur
prices are a reflection of supply and demand.....wild fur has one major competitor( ranch fur) that is very hard to compete with

I hear this a lot.

There’s really not as much competition between the two as many like to think. You have ranch fox and ranch mink. That’s about it.

And there’s instances where the ranch market drives the wild market (ranch mink and muskrat for example). Historically, when ranch mink enjoy a market bump, so do muskrats.

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by wallfur

Other trappers are my competitors. I can't compete with them. Most will supply at a loss. There is no hope.
frown
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 03:11 PM

Traps are still selling like hotcakes. I should sell mine off but Im too lazy to take off the tags. The law of supply and demand does not work for most trappers.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 05:43 PM

Gee, our township paid me $3 for each pair of pocket gopher feet I turned in. I didn't have to skin or flesh them either, just cut off the two front feet.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
Gee, our township paid me $3 for each pair of pocket gopher feet I turned in. I didn't have to skin or flesh them either, just cut off the two front feet.

Mine paid $4. Made more $$ the past two years going after those little buggers than I did trapping fur!
Posted By: hippie

Re: Sold some fur - 11/30/22 06:16 PM

A cabinet maker doesn't allow you to tell them what you'll pay for their product.
A concrete company doesn't allow you to tell them what you'll pay for concrete.

Think about it. If you're willing, they'll take advantage.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums