Home

RR Strike

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

RR Strike - 11/22/22 07:03 PM

This won’t be good for anything but maybe some of you guys will be able to trap the ROW while they sit.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 07:20 PM

It will be interesting to see how it plays out though . Maybe some folks will get to wake up

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 07:22 PM

I’m not getting me hopes up.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 07:36 PM

Was it only 5 of the 12 unions accepted the 24% raise?
And I think they all wanted a $5K bonus...

Crazy times...

WWRWR have done???
Posted By: hippie

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 07:38 PM

Not sure how this will play out.....

The RR unions that did sign last threat got their back pay, so will they still back the engineers and brakemen?
Posted By: cathryn

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 07:43 PM

It never happen.

The government already subsidizes the railroads..theyll bail them out.

The people.might get what they want but the govt will be paying the bill.

My understanding is that the government does the subsidizing of the railroad because in The event of a war the railroad will be there to move equipment and whatever necessary for defense quickly.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 07:52 PM

The government does not pay that tab. All of us do, plus a 15% tip for the grease palms in congress.
Posted By: learch

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 08:24 PM

No worries Sniffy will come in and save the day.
Posted By: Marty

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 10:38 PM

sniffy sux
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by learch

Didn't he already have a hand in the negotiations?? Maybe that is why they said no.
Posted By: Boco

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 11:21 PM

John Mayall wrote a song about it-"Aint no Brakeman on this train".
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: RR Strike - 11/22/22 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by learch

The Idiot says he's gonna fix it.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 01:53 AM

Turning down a 24 percent raise? How greedy can you be?
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa

not greedy -- just union.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 02:39 AM

Average salary in the train is over 120k, they need a raise.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 03:04 AM

Unions = professional extortionists
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 03:09 AM

If it is a raise like when I Iron worked 90% of that would end up going into insurance or other cost increasing things and we would get a dime on the check.

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 03:21 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Unions = professional extortionists

Bingo
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 10:25 AM

teamsters are ran by east coast old school mafia
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 01:13 PM

Its not the pay, it is the PTO that is the issue.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 04:17 PM

They were offered money instead of other items they wanted. Greedy? that depends upon who is the Ox. Whether we like it or not or agree or not, this is a good time to be negotiating for advances. Supply issues are improving but still not in full flow and with barges having limits due to drought many commodities are utilizing rail to move product. This will tie up cars, labor and engines. With a big shortage of truck drivers that adds to the issue.

Bryce
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 04:36 PM

What’s the difference between unions and government?
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 04:57 PM

Why doesn't the union start their own railroad ?

They never start or create anything .

They let someone else do all the hard work then swoop in to change it , cripple it .....

Parasites
Posted By: .204

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 05:33 PM

Having been on both sides of the fence I will give my .02 worth. I am 61 and have only worked for a company with union representation for approx. 7years. The first time it was for BNSF Railroad. Worked there for 1 1/2 years. This is when I was early 50's. There is no schedule whatsoever, you are basically on call 365 days a year. You have no life. I made around 80,000 a year as a conductor, plus good benefits. Could not work out of my town so had to live in a hotel 5 hours away and then furloughed. I knew when the recall notice came I would not go back. No way, no how, the lifestyle is not worth it! Warren Buffet said that BNSF was the worst managed company in his portfolio and yet made him the most money.
I now work for a refinery . Swing shifts. Hopefully for 4 more years till I retire. Here is what is sad. A year ago, management came and told us that they were switching over to renewable diesel, which of course is not feasible cost wise. The plant manager stated the reason they could do it and make it possible was because they would get 4.00 a gallon subsidy from you and me, the taxpayer, that is how it would be profitable. In essence jumping on the greenie trend and becoming corporate welfare leaches!
I was in mgmt for 30 years, corporations suck as much or more than unions.
Posted By: Kelly

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 05:51 PM

Same thing with ethanol, if it doesn’t have fed govt backing it can’t survive on its own. Cost more to produce it than what they can sell it for.
Posted By: MoSam

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 05:59 PM

As a railroader I can tell you it never was about money. That 24% over 5 years doesn’t even cover cost of living increases and the only reason the railroads agreed to it was the PEB recommended it, It’s about time off. We get 30 days per year off, vacation days. No weekends, no holidays, only vacation days. You have to schedule a vacation day at least 2 weeks in advance to go to the doctor. The rest of the year you are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Look up Hi-Viz attendance policy for BNSF railway before you comment, that will give you some view of railroad life. Not asking for anyone’s sympathy on this because yes we choose to stay but some us are just to old and dumb to do anything except run trains!!

There won’t be any strike, we would be forced back to work by congress within just a few hours. It’s estimated that a railroad strike would cost the country 2 billion dollars a day. We don’t want that, no one wants that.

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 06:14 PM

One of us wouldn’t care.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 06:21 PM

....that 24percent is over a 5 year period so that equals alittle over 3 percent per year. that has not even kept up with inflation. we have been working without a contract for years now...but the beef is over paid sick leave we have none and forced to take vacation time we are. asking for 2 weeks this all from a company that made billions last year while we worked through the pandemic and was told to get vacinated or be fired...i told them to fire me i was not getting biden's unconstitutional jab but still working .. even if we do strike congress will mandate the contract for us and send us back to work within days and the democratic congress will make sure its for far less than what we ask for just to teach us a lesson....be interesting to see how things play out.

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 06:24 PM

sorry didht see your post mosam.....but you said it better than i did other not all employee get 30 days ...new guys only get 5 days with the 30 days coming only after 25 years of service
Posted By: sneaky

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 06:39 PM

30 days vacation... on call 365? Sounds like the military except way better pay and you're not getting shot at in some decrepit third world country. Unions are just the fund raising branch of the Democrat party.

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 06:52 PM

military has better retirement 20 years 55 years old railroad is 30 service at age 65....railroad has its share of fatalities 2 last month

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 07:31 PM

Walmart had 5.
Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 10:34 PM

Dealing with the same stuff at my company. Inflation up 8.3% company offered 3% all this while the ceo gets a bonus every year from 750k to 1.3mil. Asked for dollar an hour more on the weekends. Said we are being unreasonable. It gets old when corporate greed takes over.

Re: RR Strike - 11/23/22 11:40 PM

And here we go again…….
Posted By: rex123

Re: RR Strike - 11/24/22 12:57 AM

That's 4.8 %
Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Re: RR Strike - 11/24/22 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
And here we go again…….

Is there something wrong with a man wanting a decent living wage and time off. We’re supposed to work to live and not live to work. The last raise we got was 2.5 percent and the company raised our insurance premiums by 3 percent then raised our deductible so we had more out of pocket cost. That’s just my example. I could go on, but I’m not. Most of you guys already have your mind made up on how the unions are pure evil.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: RR Strike - 11/24/22 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
And here we go again…….

Is there something wrong with a man wanting a decent living wage and time off. We’re supposed to work to live and not live to work. The last raise we got was 2.5 percent and the company raised our insurance premiums by 3 percent then raised our deductible so we had more out of pocket cost. That’s just my example. I could go on, but I’m not. Most of you guys already have your mind made up on how the unions are pure evil.

I'll stand with you Ohiowoodchuck@
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: RR Strike - 11/24/22 01:13 AM

24% would be about evening out inflation
add a 5K bonus would about even them up with what they made 5 years ago

it sounded like being oncall 24/7 was a issue they wanted resolved , they wanted to be able to go to the doctor and not get called in while at dr , or take a trip on a weekend.

as I understand it currently if they try to go hunting , they get called , they have to be able to get to their section of track in a set amount of time

a person should have a night or two a week or a week a or weekend a month that they can do whatever they want after hours without worrying about getting woken up and running off to work.

I have been on call for 23 years mostly I have one night a week and 1 weekend a month
there have been times I had 3 nights a week and a few weekends in a row and it is a drain to never be able to go anywhere or do anything farther than 15 minutes away that you can't walk out as soon as the pager goes off.
Posted By: cathryn

Re: RR Strike - 12/01/22 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
It never happen.

The government already subsidizes the railroads..theyll bail them out.

The people.might get what they want but the govt will be paying the bill.

My understanding is that the government does the subsidizing of the railroad because in The event of a war the railroad will be there to move equipment and whatever necessary for defense quickly.

I nailed it.lol
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: RR Strike - 12/01/22 10:21 PM

funny thing is the Dem's used to be the party looking out for the working man. Now they are looking out for the corporations.
and to top it off the Fed is telling employers to get inflation in check don't give workers any raises.

The gov't and the fed working together to get inflation in check, stop gov't spending, no way, keep the working man poor is the way to do it according to them.

Hopefully some of you realize who your enemy is.
Posted By: charles

Re: RR Strike - 12/01/22 11:23 PM

When I got out of college in 1970, RR jobs in my area were the absolute highest paying around. A classmate of mine had several jobs but finally went to the RR. His dad was a senior engineer. My friend made in a week what I made in a month. He worked odd hours because he was low on the union list, but darn if he didn’t do very well.

He hated it however.

His conductor lost the lower part of a leg between a car and a dock. Stupid mistake. Won a law suit however.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: RR Strike - 12/01/22 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by wallfur
....that 24percent is over a 5 year period so that equals alittle over 3 percent per year. that has not even kept up with inflation. we have been working without a contract for years now...but the beef is over paid sick leave we have none and forced to take vacation time we are. asking for 2 weeks this all from a company that made billions last year while we worked through the pandemic and was told to get vacinated or be fired...i told them to fire me i was not getting biden's unconstitutional jab but still working .. even if we do strike congress will mandate the contract for us and send us back to work within days and the democratic congress will make sure its for far less than what we ask for just to teach us a lesson....be interesting to see how things play out.

And the union will still tell everyone to vote Democrat. If this country still had men with balls they would strike anyway. Heck the coal miners used to shoot at the scabs driving the coal truck when they were on strike down in KY.

Re: RR Strike - 12/02/22 01:01 AM

Sounds like the Reesor siding incident here back in the 60's when the mill workers went on strike at Spruce Falls.
Union strikers got shot though.
Still some bad blood between Families to this very day.

Re: RR Strike - 12/02/22 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ohiowoodchuck
And here we go again…….

No but if a man is that good then he should be able to negotiate for himself or find somewhere that understands his value. It’s how most people I know do it.

Everybody’s insurance went up along with deductibles, unions voted for it. I guess their expectation was the company would eat it.
Posted By: rex123

Re: RR Strike - 12/02/22 02:56 AM

Unions aren't pure evil there are just another form of big business. The last time they were for the working man it was decades ago.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: RR Strike - 12/02/22 02:58 AM

My BIL works for the RR. He said there won't be a conductor making less than 100K a year. Still can't fill all the jobs they need.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums