Home

Accuracy of ONx app?

Posted By: Toptrapper1

Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/20/22 08:57 PM

Wondering how close this app will get you if used to plot exact set locations?
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/20/22 09:07 PM

I have used it to mark trap locations, property boundaries to determine who owns what properties to make sure l have traps set on the right property and it works better than I expected. I usually check for boundaries between private property owners and the NPS and it has always been correct
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/20/22 10:14 PM

Extremely.
I have checked it with known boundaries.
I have used it successfully in a legal dispute.
Nobody had anything better or even the same.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/20/22 11:42 PM

Not always up to date with landowners I found out.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/20/22 11:47 PM

Very. My boys use it and like it.

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 12:03 AM

Of course not current on landowners.
Much more current, accurate, and complete than the plat books.
Posted By: kbuck

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by bankrunner

Similar experience. Gets a little awkward when you ask someone if they're Mr. So-and-so only to find out that the listed landowner is a recently deceased (and beloved) family member.

Other than that, excellent app.
Posted By: BFP

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 12:08 AM

I use it to mark snares in open pastures. It’s fair, not as good as the lowrance H2O. That took a dump on me a few years ago.
Posted By: ToCatchAPredator

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 12:17 AM

The property boundaries are on point, if you don’t save offline maps and have a signal you won’t have that precise of where you are on the property all the times. It lags sometimes. But when it does pull in you’re pretty on point. That’s the only thing it’s not as precise and real time as a handheld gps

I still swear by it, love the layers, easiness of adding waypoints and all the options. Their weather is EXTREMELY accurate and I use the app as my weather app. Gives pressure and wind direction, I love it

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 12:45 AM

I use the OnX chip in a Garmin Oregon.
It could not be more accurate.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 01:04 AM

I can’t speak for other apps but the beauty of OnX is their offline maps you can download. I do this before ever leaving my State and traveling to another. I pick areas I want to scout and download them all. Some places I might have a signal and some I won’t. Doesn’t matter to me with OnX. All my boundaries have been like dead on with signs on the trees of private properties.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 01:39 AM

It's pretty good.
Last year it really came in handy when hunting near a base. Land was checkerboard between blm and the base. Talk about being nervous about crossing land. Lol.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 01:48 AM

It’s pretty good with cell service.

Without cell service and using “pre-downloaded” map areas I’ve had a lot of issues with it.

And I use it just about daily.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by kbuck
Originally Posted by bankrunner

Similar experience. Gets a little awkward when you ask someone if they're Mr. So-and-so only to find out that the listed landowner is a recently deceased (and beloved) family member.

Other than that, excellent app.

I know the owner of the property, as I hunt his others and trap for him. Walked this piece as it had a little woods on it but it was primo location. It bordered Amish, as we walked into bottoms, saw trails like side by side to their property. Left as we had no cell service, get back to the truck and looked on Beacon and he sold it to the Amish this spring, never said a word. They paid $200,000 for 20 acres. OnX still has it in his name and he sold it 7 months ago.
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 02:54 AM

Here if the county’s gis map property lines are off so is Onx and I have seen them 40’ off.
Posted By: IWM

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 04:45 AM

Great app for locating and tracking your route...we use it on ground & aerial deer surveys all the time.

However, changes in property ownership are updated very very slowly.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Line Jumper
Here if the county’s gis map property lines are off so is Onx and I have seen them 40’ off.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a county gis map that was WITHIN 40'! Seriously, at least out here they have a standard overlay that every square section mile is 5280 and broken down from there, but no section is ever 5280, and by the time you go six sections west and six sections south to get to the opposite corner of a township you are WAY off.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 04:59 AM

I'm surprised that people actually think they can stay current with land transfers for 50 states. They rely on counties and states updating the info... and we all know how fast government works.

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 05:25 AM

When we bought some land it took about 6 months to show the change.
That is plenty fast for what I do.
The chip with landowner boundaries in the Garmin Oregon is accurate enough that I can rely on it to mark boundaries for the purpose of cutting perimeter trails. I would not want to be inaccurate.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
When we bought some land it took about 6 months to show the change.
That is plenty fast for what I do.
The chip with landowner boundaries in the Garmin Oregon is accurate enough that I can rely on it to mark boundaries for the purpose of cutting perimeter trails. I would not want to be inaccurate.

Your Garmin is only guaranteed accurate within 100', I wouldn't be using that for marking any boundaries.

Go mark a point with your Garmin, then come back and navigate back to it, chances are it will get you within 20' but not much closer. At least out west if you cut any trees across the line you are liable for triple stumpage, and I worked as a surveyor for years, if we marked the line wrong, then we were liable for that triple stumpage.

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 10:37 AM

I take into account the inherent potential inaccuracies and compensate accordingly.
Much more experience than relying on just one tool.
Much more experience than relying on someone’s word unless a surveyor who is on the property.
Marking a spot gets me back to the spot.
You are correct that it can be inaccurate.
Stand still and watch the cursor sometimes move.
I have not cut other’s timber and won’t.
I mark my boundary lines for the landowner and I to walk.
Also for surveyor to see what we want marked.
Also show on his info.

What I am saying is that the state chip in a GPS unit is more accurate that using a phone.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 10:39 AM

around here 10-20 feet
Posted By: Niteblaster

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 11:30 AM

I have found that if I stand on my side of the property line using onX and then zoom in to see how close to the line I really am it will show me way across the property line on the neighbors land. That is wrong because there is an old fence and surveyor pins and marking on trees. Seems ok until I try to zoom in.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood

What I am saying is that the state chip in a GPS unit is more accurate that using a phone.

Yup.

More accurate and more reliable.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 02:35 PM

Handy tool I just wouldn’t tell someone off based on the readings and end up being wrong down the road that could bite in the rear maybe.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Accuracy of ONx app? - 11/21/22 02:49 PM

This App was a big help last season in New Country, would have been lost without it a couple times. That being said, they’re always dogging me about upgrading to Elite. Does anyone see the advantage of upgrading ? Is it a better picture ?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums