Home

All Season Radials

Posted By: Trapper7

All Season Radials - 11/01/22 03:13 PM

My wife has summer tires on her Nissan Murano. I'd like some suggestions for all season radials that are decent on ice & snow. The size is 235/65/R18.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 03:27 PM

Do you want good or cheap round things ??

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Do you want good or cheap round things ??

Good.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 03:48 PM

What shape are the current tires? Buy a set of rims and get a set of blizzaks. Switch back and forth as the season requires. Might look for used tires on CL or FB marketplace.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
What shape are the current tires? Buy a set of rims and get a set of blizzaks. Switch back and forth as the season requires. Might look for used tires on CL or FB marketplace.

Current tires are decent, but are summer treads. She was stuck several times last winter.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 04:30 PM

Buy a set of rims and get a set of blizzaks. Switch back and forth as the season requires.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 05:26 PM

Put a set of Michelins LTX AT's on it Last set you will buy for that car . We ran them on our work trucks for the school systems . I had to check sewer plants year round. 100,000 easy on a set . IF you rotate them and properly inflate them... Super smooth ride. Best of both conditions........

https://business.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-ltx-a-t2

Or get her a pickup ??? LOL
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 05:47 PM

Go to tire rack and look at the tread patterns some tires labeled M/S are just another highway tire.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 06:16 PM

No all-season is as good as a true winter tire in the snow and ice.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV

I agree.
But, she doesn't want to have to change every season.
On my truck I run summer tires in warm weather and will be switching to my winter tires in about a week. I don't mind changing.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 07:55 PM

Buy a good set of snow tires and she will love you for it.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 08:12 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Griffin21

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
Buy a set of rims and get a set of blizzaks. Switch back and forth as the season requires.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^

I third this, blizzaks are king in Maine for light vehicles. its a night and day difference in road manners. The extra set of wheels takes the headache out of swapping tires.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 08:36 PM

Yokahama geolander ATGO15

All weather with a snowflake. Good tires. No changing for season

https://tire.yokohama.ca/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 08:45 PM

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-crossclimate2?all-vehicles=true#/read-reviews
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: All Season Radials - 11/01/22 09:18 PM

Blizzaks here. Awesome tires

WS
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: All Season Radials - 11/02/22 12:40 AM

Look for a mountain & snowflake on the tire. Duratracs are great but you can find a different brand that are a lot quieter on the highway. This type of tire would look funny on a Murano though….lol
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: All Season Radials - 11/02/22 01:29 AM

My opinion. A Good snow/ice tire is gonna have a softer tread.
You won't (that I know of) get a great snow/ice tire that's gonna go for alot of miles 50,000+.
Tires are a trade off.
I'm fond of General Grabber AT'2. for the money.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: All Season Radials - 11/02/22 03:14 AM

B.F. Goodrich All Terrain tires have been great for us.
Just bought a set for the Expedition.
$1,291.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: All Season Radials - 11/02/22 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper
Blizzaks here. Awesome tires

WS

X2, wife get 5 winters out of a set.
Posted By: 160user

Re: All Season Radials - 11/02/22 11:35 AM

I have been running "Vativa's" (I may have spelled it wrong) for many years and LOVE them! They are a Finlander tire and I will never buy anything else. The local shop that turned me onto them 20 years ago doesn't stock them anymore because they don't sell well but they ordered me a set. It is what the tire shop owner run on his truck as well.
Posted By: trapper red 315

Re: All Season Radials - 11/02/22 12:01 PM

good on ice is just okay on snow and vice versa

and good in wet snow can be doodoo in dry snow, depends on your local conditions

my kid uses Perilli ice scorpions on his forester xt, and on ice has really great traction, on snow has to pay attention more

I have general grabbers ats on my f150
excellent on all snow types and in the rain, but have noticed that ice grip could be better

all season radials are a compromise for all seasons at best, but definitely not an ice/snow tire at all

best bet, any manufacturer that has a studdable tire, if locally legal, is the way to go

my wifes jetta will push more snow with studded tires than my 150 will
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: All Season Radials - 11/02/22 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
$1,291.

Yes. Great tires.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: All Season Radials - 11/02/22 07:42 PM

I burn through a set of snow tires every winter on my work car. There is not a single all season tire on the market that can hang with a dedicated winter tire. I've ran most of the top brands. Top 3 are Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ice, and a Hankook Winter I-Pikes. Absolutely hate studded tires. There's only one condition they are marginally better in, and even then they aren't worth the noise and road manners for. May try some Nokian Hakkepeliittas this time around. Heard good things about them. Blizzaks for now are the standard which others are judged against.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: All Season Radials - 11/02/22 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
$1,291.

X2

Very happy with them , in all conditions . 60k on the last set
Posted By: Boco

Re: All Season Radials - 11/03/22 12:51 AM

Just ordered a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires for the Ranger.
I have run these tires on several trucks-great tires for snow and mud.In the past I have left them on year round,they last a LONG time compared to other similar tires.
Best tire for me for winter and off road,Mud/deep ruts.

Blizzacks and such tires are more for ice on pavement.
Good for cars on pavement with black ice etc.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: All Season Radials - 11/03/22 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I have run these tires on several trucks-great tires for snow and mud.In the past I have left them on year round,they last a LONG time compared to other similar tires.

The Goodyear Wrangler duratrac is a great tire , but I'm too white to own another set
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: All Season Radials - 11/03/22 01:14 AM

Never liked them, always used the big lug mud and snow tires on the drive wheels.
Many times pulled out 4 wheel drives with all season tires , with my two wheel drive.
Wished I had positive traction a few times though.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: All Season Radials - 11/03/22 11:34 AM

sneaky has a good idea. Nokian makes great winter type tires. Check out whatever else they might offer for all season.
Posted By: adam m

Re: All Season Radials - 11/03/22 12:52 PM

Perfect timing for this thread, I need all 5 for the f250.
Posted By: AJE

Re: All Season Radials - 11/06/22 02:02 AM

Interesting, I've been shopping for new year-round tires for my Silverado & have been eyeing up the Duratrac & the Wrangler Authority, but I have yet to decide on which of these 2, or if these 2 are maybe too aggressive. I'm glad to hear they last good for you. I imagine they'll cost me ~2 MPG, but it is probably worth it for the piece of mind. Snow hear can be slick &/or deep.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/06/22 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by AntiGov

The Goodyear Wrangler duratrac is a great tire , but I'm too white to own another set

Duratracs were the worst tires I've ever had on my Tacoma. I took them off with 10k miles on them and sold them. Went back to the ST Maxx I had ran previously. Have Falkens on now, they're a pretty good AT tire but I still prefer the ST Maxx for a AT tire. Those things were indestructible and I got almost 70k a set out of them. Wouldn't mind having some E rated snow tires for the truck, but I'll survive another winter without them. The car gets the use then lol.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/07/22 11:32 PM

Put he duratracs on today.
Great tire in mud and snow,last way longer than the BF goodrich I used before.
The tread on the sidewall are great when in deep ruts.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV

I agree. For every vehicle I own, I bought a set of cheap steel rims and mounted studded winter treads on them for snow and ice.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 12:45 AM

Hi Boco -

I am glad those work well for you.

They came on my new F-350 (single rear wheel) and have been a disappointment in an mud. Maybe they are good on lighter vehicles. Have not tried them in snow. My truck has hibernated each winter so far.

Stay well.
Posted By: Saskquatch

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 01:16 AM

Any set of dedicated winter tires, with decent tread still on them, will out-perform even the best all season tires. A front wheel drive vehicle with winter tires will outclimb, out accelerate and out brake even an all wheel drive vehicle with all season tires. I change out all six of our family cars every fall with them. I have them all on rims, so as mentioned earlier, they are a breeze to change out.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 01:25 AM

Sas - you have a lot of tire changing!

I used to have real snow tires on rims for two wheel drive vehicles. They had real tread and softer rubber. They worked great. When I met the gal who became my wife, one of the first gifts to her was a pair of real snow tires on rims for her Olds Cutlass. She never before had snow tires and loved them
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 01:31 AM

I use the Michelin tires like jbyrd showed on my pickups with great success on the car I have cross climate 2 and they seem to be working very well.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 01:36 AM

Tires are crazy priced, Needed a set for my f-150, The Hakooks that came on it are bald with 23,000 miles, They are 275/60/20. Looked around & the best priced tires I found were nito recon grapplers, they are an A/T tire & 10 ply.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 02:14 AM

See duratracs on lots of pickup trucks around here.
Very small percentage of paved roads here,About 99% bush roads logging roads winter roads or just trails.
Clay ruts turns most tires into slicks-thats where the sidewall tread on the duratracs will keep you crawling ahead as long as you have enough ground clearance,and dont get hung up.Same in the deep snow,especially when it is packed in the center by snowmachines.But a lot easier to shovel out of snow than clay.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 02:54 AM

I don’t doubt your expertise in your area. You certainly manage well.

I pulled off the side of a gravel lane into a mowed grassy area. The truck slid about 40 feet and luckily stopped just before the trees. So, maybe they were good to stop me at all!

Last month I bought a set of BF Goodrich all terrain radials for wife’s Expedition. This is the second set of this tire for this vehicle. Traction in mud and snow has been excellent. These new tires have a nice ride. Maybe the old worn out set was tired. Price seemed very high at $1,292. They have added side tread since the last set.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 02:55 AM

If you do any type of driving in the wintah ...like 12,000 miles or so....The Blizzacks will last you 2 winters if your lucky. The tire compound is as soft as a pencil eraser. But they are excellent in all wintah conditions. I had a pair ..once.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 03:09 AM

Just remembered the name of the tires we used to buy - Firestone Town & Country snow tires. Large and small lugs. They were studdable. If stuck in snow, just floor it. Oh the miserable days before I had anything 4wd. Now everything I own is 4wd.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 07:32 PM

I think we will settle on Bridgestone Weatherpeak all season. They are rated for 70K miles. She only puts on about 7,000 miles a year.

Anybody familiar with those?
Posted By: Saskquatch

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 11:28 PM

The Weatherpeak are a very new to market, crossover type tire, I believe. They will likely be somewhere in between a regular all season and a winter tire. Tire compounds are becoming more and more advanced all the time, but these won't provide the same level of performance as a "winter tire".

Re: All Season Radials - 11/08/22 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
If you do any type of driving in the wintah ...like 12,000 miles or so....The Blizzacks will last you 2 winters if your lucky. The tire compound is as soft as a pencil eraser. But they are excellent in all wintah conditions. I had a pair ..once.

I think I got over 40k on my last set of blizzaks. All in one winter though. I always leave them on and finish them off since they're not getting saved for the following winter. Got over 50k out of the Michelin X-ice. I always start the winter off on fresh winter tires for work though.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/12/22 02:59 PM

See duratracs on lots of pickup trucks around here.
Very small percentage of paved roads here,About 99% bush roads logging roads winter roads or just trails.
Clay ruts turns most tires into slicks-thats where the sidewall tread on the duratracs will keep you crawling ahead as long as you have enough ground clearance,and dont get hung up.Same in the deep snow,especially when it is packed in the center by snowmachines.But a lot easier to shovel out of snow than clay.

99% of roads around here are paved, so maybe Duratrac aren't for me

Re: All Season Radials - 11/12/22 04:50 PM

If you are mostly on paved roads you dont need a tire with a real agressive tread.

Re: All Season Radials - 11/13/22 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky

Duratracs were the worst tires I've ever had on my Tacoma. I took them off with 10k miles on them and sold them.

What's wrong with Duratracs?

Re: All Season Radials - 11/13/22 04:43 AM

Honestly I have been impressed by only one Goodyear tire - the Marathon trailer tire.

Various Wrangler iterations have been lousy. The Wrangler Duratracs Kevlar came on my 2019 F-350 single rear wheel. I have used the truck mostly on unpaved roads and off-road. The tires have been disappointing in mud. As stated previously, maybe they do well on a lighter truck. I have used them only a few times in snow here at home because my truck hibernates when the salt trucks start running.
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: All Season Radials - 11/13/22 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by sneaky

Duratracs were the worst tires I've ever had on my Tacoma. I took them off with 10k miles on them and sold them.

What's wrong with Duratracs?

Just to show the differences in ideas on tires Duratracs are some of the best tires i've run on my tacoma. enough so that i could put another set on when its time to swap out. if i opt to not put them on, it'll be because ive opted for MT's instead.

What I know of the downside of them to be are that they dont have the strongest sidewalls, they will chunk in the rocks and they have a relatively short life span. This isnt rock country so I dont care at all about the chunking. I've got about 32k miles on a set but they likely only have 8-10k good miles left. They wont give you the mileage of AT likely. if your on pavement alot and can get by picking and choosing your offroad driving a common AT tire is probably better option and most seem to handle offroad snow and hard pack road snow decent.

around here i'd say that most trucks are sitting on AT's of some type. i've run about every brand. i've stopped using them as theres not a set out there that can handle actual mud. once youve packed the tight spaced tread with clay virtually no amount of tire spin is going clean them or move you forward unless youre crawling with traction control. for the cross over/tweener tires that span between AT's and MT's there are about 3 that are common here-------duratrac, st maxx and klevers. The cooper maxx are likely the best on road, in the rocks and snowy conditions and they last forever. if that covers your needs they are great option. once they hit our mud, they are no better than many AT's i've run. duratracs strength is mud, theyve taken me across many open worked up clay field after a week of rain sunk all the way to the rims than i had any business being in. but they are not MT's either. klevers tend to split the difference. if you are on pavement and just winter snow, a snow flake rated AT is probably a much better option for you
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: All Season Radials - 11/13/22 07:22 AM

For winter only, any aggressive tread is ok with me

Re: All Season Radials - 12/03/22 04:14 AM

I ended up getting the Goodyear Authority. Awesome tires. They are only sold at Wal-Mart I think.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: All Season Radials - 12/03/22 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

this is not true.
I have run Blizzaks all year round on my daily driver for over 2 years. yes the softest rubber is on the outside and it'll wear quickest, but the remainder is still better than your average all season tire.

I run a nokian tire on my car now. Its a special all year round tire that does not wear like a blizzak but is meant to be driven all year and is excellent in the snow/ice unlike most all season tires.
For those of you who don't know Nokian is a Finnish company that is most likely the best in the world when it comes to winter tires.
So impressed by them I put a set on my wifes minivan when she needed new tires.

winter driving is ALL about traction, that means its all about the tires, nothing more, a 2wd car with the great winter tires is always better than 4wd with average tires.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums