Home

Processing rabbits

Posted By: pintail_drake04

Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 12:00 PM

Its been a busy season for us, between work, side job, farming, garden, etc. Just seems like I don't have enough hours in the day. I finally made time to process around 30 rabbits. We typically process at 12 weeks or 5 lb live weight. However, I decided to let these 2 batches go to 16 weeks to check form and quality. A couple had potential, and were kept back or sold. Others reaffirmed my suspicion, and were sent to the cull cage. Either way, they make great freezer fillers.

Good quality fur, and decent form. We kept the best, and culled the rest.
[Linked Image]

Sometimes, both parents pass on their worst traits. This litter was born 2 days after the litter above, from parents that showed potential. Sometimes, a pair isn't a good match. This is why we keep detailed records.
[Linked Image]

16 week processed rex.
[Linked Image]

Again, genetics will affect growth rate too. This 2nd litter pictured, same age as the litter above.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: micheal

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 12:03 PM

Good eating
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 12:11 PM

Can you share wholesale-retail prices?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 12:12 PM

Nice work. I've always been curious about raising rabbits for meat.

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Can you share wholesale-retail prices?

I don't sell, they are for my freezer. However, locally they can be found for $6/lb. I do trade with my neighbor for beef though.

Originally Posted by k snow
Nice work. I've always been curious about raising rabbits for meat.

I recommend it. They are quiet and clean. I think they are easier than chickens, and the fertilizer really is garden gold!
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 12:44 PM

Been raising them for years, but your packaging is WAY beyond mine!
Vacuum sealed?
Posted By: k snow

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP
Been raising them for years, but your packaging is WAY beyond mine!
Vacuum sealed?

I believe he uses heat shrink bags from Texas Poultry Bags. We use them for our chickens. They are great. Simple to use and a great, clean appearance.
Posted By: bowhunter27295

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 12:51 PM

I have been told rabbits need to have certain glands removed to prevent bad flavor. Is this true? If so, where are the glands and how are they removed?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
I have been told rabbits need to have certain glands removed to prevent bad flavor. Is this true? If so, where are the glands and how are they removed?

I never heard this or had a problem. Kill, skin, and gut. Daughter has been raising rabbits for 11 years.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 02:38 PM

Love rabbit meat. I have one female rabbit who found my place from somewhere-stayed, and now I have two little black half grown youngsters and a brand new litter I just found in a hole on my place yesterday. I think there's four or five in there!

I had no idea they reproduce that fast.

So, I'm seeing this as meat on the paw, for future. Though I've made the female, Diva, a bit of a pet that I feed and pet from my porch.

I have no idea what kind she is, or where the male is at that she obviously visits. They aren't Rex , though, with that velvety fur. Diva might be four pounds. Not sure.

I wanted a meat source to have rabbit , I guess it found me !

" Then I will live in Montana. And drive a pick up truck....and raise rabbits" ..... grin

Thank you for your info.
Posted By: Buzzard

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by bowhunter27295

Never heard that with rabbits, I do know ground hogs have glands under their armpits that need to be removed
Posted By: Crowfoot

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 03:15 PM

I think most all little critters do.
Squirrels have large ones, especially large gray and the fox squirrels.
I look for them in everything and remove them, even the small ones.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 03:32 PM

Just don't cook them in Nyquil!!
Posted By: sportsman94

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 05:02 PM

Can you show your setup for them? Are you running them in a tractor or do you have a stationary setup. We have talked about getting rabbits both for meat and for my daughter to have a pet with a purpose.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 05:04 PM

I just got 9 . Been a few years since I've had any. I prefer hanging cages and automatic water. Hopefully I will have a couple litters October 5.

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 05:07 PM

Here is an old pic of our set up. Cages are suspended from the ceiling. We have 2 resting pads in each 30x30 cage.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GaTurkeyHunter

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 05:10 PM

Did you make your own cages or buy them?

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 05:16 PM

I buy them from KW Cages, and assemble myself.
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/21/22 06:33 PM

PD04,
What size bags do.you.use, what is the process?
Thanks

We used to.can a lot as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/22/22 02:24 AM

This has me interested. That looks great Dave, rabbit and dumplings mmmmm good!
Posted By: trapdye

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/22/22 02:46 AM

We tried rabbits a few years ago, first doe was great, took care of the new borns until they could be on their own, A after she died, we could never find a doe that would not kill the little ones. Is there a way to find the better does for breeding.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/22/22 03:28 AM

Nice! how many rabbits per cage? cage size? you breed rabbits as well i assume for new stock?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/22/22 09:13 AM

great read thanks guys

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/22/22 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by DaveP
What size bags do.you.use, what is the process?

These are the Texas Poultry Heat Shrink Bags. I believe they are 10x16"

Originally Posted by BuckMink
Nice! how many rabbits per cage? cage size? you breed rabbits as well i assume for new stock?

We run 30x30x18" cages. With the rex being a larger breed, we keep 1 breeder or 5 grow outs per cage. We breed a lot of our replacement stock, but we are constantly looking for new blood to bring in. We sell a lot of breeders, show stock, and pets. And want doesn't make the cut for quality will be processed for the freezer.

Originally Posted by trapdye
We tried rabbits a few years ago, first doe was great, took care of the new borns until they could be on their own, A after she died, we could never find a doe that would not kill the little ones. Is there a way to find the better does for breeding.

I give a doe 3 strikes. First time breeding a doe, she will often lose her litter. Not producing enough milk, inexperience, etc could be to blame. We will immediately re-breed her if she loses a litter. But like I said, 3 strikes and she is out.
Posted By: Cooncreek II

Re: Processing rabbits - 09/22/22 11:45 AM

That looks good Pintail, we kept some whole and canned some also. We made stock and canned that too, can't wait for some noodles or dumplings!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums