Home

Idaho Wolf Hunting

Posted By: Mike Crawford

Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/17/22 05:06 AM

I’m planning a hunting trip to northern Idaho in February. My primary focus will be wolf hunting as the license/tag seems quite reasonable. This will be a DIY hunt. Any advice on areas and techniques? I have and use a FoxPro but I’m unsure if using it would be my best chance to bag a wolf.

Thank you in advance.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/17/22 07:04 AM

February is tough for access. Do you have a snowmobile?
Posted By: Osky

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/17/22 12:32 PM

Snowmobiles bring mobility but they also bring sound. That’s very broken country and that sound goes/echos a long way ahead of your vision.
I’d put out feelers to the ranchers a bit lower, and make a plan that way. Good luck however you go.

Osky
Posted By: Trapper1960

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/17/22 03:09 PM

FoxPro is a red flag for a wolf in areas that have any population of people. Everyone uses ele. calls! Try a couple different mouth calls or spot and stock. Locate and play the wind!
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/17/22 03:14 PM

Mike I'm jealous been wanting do an Idaho wolf hunt for years good luck hope ya get em
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/17/22 03:31 PM

Track machine or snowmobile, plenty of trail's in the silver valley.
Good luck & safe travels

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/17/22 04:07 PM

Lots of good points gentlemen, thank you. I do not have a snowmobile. I’ll look into areas in the southern part of the state.
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/18/22 03:24 PM

The problem with northern idaho is lack of visbility. From CDA north and silver valley, visibility is very limited d/t forest. Also same down in potlatch country and all along the Montana border. More open land would likely be more productive for you. I see thay have photos of a new pack in oregon. Why don't you start with them?? eek
Posted By: red mt

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/18/22 03:48 PM

Good luck have fun

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/18/22 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
The problem with northern idaho is lack of visbility. From CDA north and silver valley, visibility is very limited d/t forest. Also same down in potlatch country and all along the Montana border. More open land would likely be more productive for you. I see thay have photos of a new pack in oregon. Why don't you start with them?? eek

Thank you for the advice. I do my dangdest to stay out of jail… the libs here would hang me if I shot a wolf in this state lol
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/19/22 07:31 AM

Access is going to be difficult just about anywhere in Idaho during February. I hope you have snowshoes at least.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Idaho Wolf Hunting - 09/19/22 11:23 AM

I'd say snowshoes and a snowmachine are pretty much a requirement in February. Yeah you might find a pack close to a plowed road. But depending on that, especially without living there and having intimate knowledge of the area and where they are currently plowing in going to lead to disappointment.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums