Home

John Deere Model L starting???

Posted By: 080808

John Deere Model L starting??? - 09/12/22 08:57 PM

Going to visit my son who just bot Model L I believe crank start only. It’s been sitting inside a heated garage for over a year not started. Any pointers on what to watch out for and starting help. Thanks.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: John Deere Model L starting??? - 09/12/22 10:44 PM

I would clean the points real good. Gap them at .020
Fresh gas. If it has spark it will start. Maybe take plugs out and turn it over and check for spark.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: John Deere Model L starting??? - 09/12/22 11:34 PM

That one has a crank start not the standard flywheel start like most deeres so don’t grip the crank, do it open palm and “push” the crank, it’ll make sense once you do it, at least then if it sticks you should only break your hand or arm and not remove it at the shoulder joint.
Posted By: 080808

Re: John Deere Model L starting??? - 09/13/22 01:06 AM

Thanks
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: John Deere Model L starting??? - 09/13/22 01:25 AM

I would suggest checking for spark and fuel. If both are good, then tow start it and run it around the yard. Then try the crank start.
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: John Deere Model L starting??? - 09/13/22 02:15 AM

Lightly sand the points. Remove the needle and seat and clean. Insure fresh gas. Pull plug and see if there is any spark by grounding it to motor. If no spark, magneto needs recharging. I have 17 antique john deere tractors, easy to work on. If they will not run its either spark or gas.
Posted By: ohiosnareman

Re: John Deere Model L starting??? - 09/13/22 01:35 PM

I had a John Deere LA way back when . It was electric start . Started it many times with the crank though. Be careful . Nice old tractor . Wish I had kept it . I still have a couple of engine heads and a flat belt drive from it around here some place .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums