Home

Railroad guys

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Railroad guys - 09/08/22 04:09 AM

Thought y'all might like this
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 04:34 AM

Interesting for sure. Wonder if Boco did that up in Canada RR. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: waggler

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 04:37 AM

Amazing, wonder how many other occupations have disappeared? Kind of sad.
Posted By: mole

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 08:18 AM

Outstanding
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 10:52 AM

Very cool. All respect for those guys.

Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 10:52 AM

That sounds like Charles Kuralt. I bet that's a segment from his On The Road show. The wife and I loved that show.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 11:13 AM

Realigning that curve was something else- I enjoyed this!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 12:28 PM

The Gandy Dancers got their name from a time when most of the hand tools they used were made by the Gandy Tool Co.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 12:33 PM

Retired 3yrs ago now ,,,,we used track jacks,,,, but very neat to watch that vid working on smaller steel .
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 01:04 PM

Laid many miles of track in the mine. Mostly 60 and 85 pound rails. Laying out switches was the hard part.
Posted By: MoSam

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 01:24 PM

As a railroader, that’s is a cool video. The Gandy Dancers were gone before my start date
but there are many stories of Gandy Dancers floating around. As stories go, it sounds like
some of them were real characters. Seems like you hear less and less
about them as time goes on and the old heads retire. Thanks for posting, Hadnt seen that one!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 01:25 PM

if your looking for some of the music , they have the Gandy dancer festival in Mazomanie WI each August
https://gandydancerfestival.org/
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 09:10 PM

Great post Wolfdog. I slung a lot of rail, set and tapped ties, pounded spikes all by hand. At the end of the day we ate a lot of food and drank a lot of whiskey. Hard work but it was something I loved to do.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Railroad guys - 09/08/22 10:04 PM

I had a pretty good eye for lining track.lined out a lot of sunkinks by hand on the Moosonee line over the years.Lined in a lot of kicked out joints on the high side of the curves too fairly regular track mtc on the jointed rail.Didnt need 20 men singing songs-5 men was good,with the caller yelling-"HEAVE!"
Foreman sighting out the spots-"TWO JOINTS AHEAD MEN-TO THE WEST".-Then-"CENTER BACK!

We only used the lining jacks when lining switches.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums