Home

UP MI Folks?

Posted By: Larry Hall

UP MI Folks? - 09/06/22 11:43 AM

Good morning Yoopers..

What's the wolf situation like in the Delta county area up yonder north of the bridge? I will possibly be up there late October and If it pans out I wouldn't mind packing a coon dog along..I found a map that showed three dog/wolf interactions in a relatively small area of Delta county.. Would be hunting state ground if I did make the trip up. Looking for local input as my hounds aren't much account, but I like them and wouldn't want to aimlessly put them in harms way.. Figure Porky's will be enough of a challenge.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: UP MI Folks? - 09/06/22 11:58 AM

lots of wolfs , in delta i get 6=10 a year in coyote traps , hear of a lot of dog hunter having problems with wolfs
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: UP MI Folks? - 09/06/22 12:19 PM

appreciate the prompt and clear response TG.. Unfortunately what I was assuming I would hear..Has to be rough on the hound/beagle guys up there..
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: UP MI Folks? - 09/06/22 12:22 PM

very sad
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: UP MI Folks? - 09/06/22 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hall
Has to be rough on the hound/beagle guys up there..

Yessir. There are areas where the houndsmen have just abandoned.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: UP MI Folks? - 09/06/22 02:03 PM

All we can hope for is a good season like Wisconsin had......where we can use traps, thermal gear at night, snares, and hounds. I sure as heck am not going to hold my breath until it happens.

......Oh, and a decent realistic quota!
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: UP MI Folks? - 09/06/22 02:43 PM

plenty of wolves around. Depends how far the dog will wander from you.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: UP MI Folks? - 09/06/22 03:03 PM

Not sure if many dogs get turned out north of the bridge anymore.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: UP MI Folks? - 09/06/22 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dillrod
Not sure if many dogs get turned out north of the bridge anymore.

I'm no houndsman, but as i understand it, it all depends on the areas.

I run in to beagle guys chasing bunnies every year when I am up there in December. That's southern UP, also don't see much wolf sign there. When I get to the northern part of the line, I cut wolf track multiple times a day and see a wolf every few days. That's just driving two tracks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums