Home

monarch butterflies

Posted By: old243

monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 12:02 AM

I went for a atv ride , back along my fenceline. There were hundreds of Monarchs , hanging in the trees and in the goldenrod. Quite a sight. They were staying on the downwind side, out of the wind, They are staging for their long migration, to Mexico, I think. Long way from Ontario. old243
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 12:34 AM

That's cool! Heard they got put on the endangered species list this year.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 12:59 AM

Good to hear. They have gotten scarce around here. I've only seen two all summer and that was ca couple of weeks ago.
Posted By: ChadC

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 01:00 AM

That was a great sight to see, I’m sure. We have a lot of milk weed in my area. I use to see a bunch of monarchs hitting the milk weed on our property but rarely see them anymore. We have a lot of the similar sized yellow and black butterflies, not sure of their proper name.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 01:08 AM

It would be neat to see the migrating monarchs.

The endangered status of monarchs is based on uneducated public opinion and very bad science. The number of monarchs varies greatly from year to year. Studies estimate there is 80% less to 25% less monarchs than there was 80 years ago. One good year could easily set a new record for the number of monarchs. Their population numbers always wildly fluctuate like other insects do..

Keith

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by ChadC
That was a great sight to see, I’m sure. We have a lot of milk weed in my area. I use to see a bunch of monarchs hitting the milk weed on our property but rarely see them anymore. We have a lot of the similar sized yellow and black butterflies, not sure of their proper name.

I'm seeing the same, the yellow and black swallowtails is what I'm seeing here. They've been on my wife's mint tea patch that she let flower and go to seed for weeks now.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 01:21 AM

All we got are those huge grasshoppers, lol. I’d really like to see migrating butterflies other than the little yellow ones that hang around the wet spots.
Posted By: Bob

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by ChadC

Sounds like tiger swallowtail but hard to say without pics.

I’ve seen just a few monarchs this year. Tons of milkweed around but very few monarchs. I hope they make a comeback

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 01:58 AM

I saw a monarch at work the other day. First one I've seen this year.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 02:03 AM

You sure they weren't the other model? Isn't there a secondary species that mimics Monarchs, to curtail birds from on eating them? Can't think of their name at the moment.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 02:05 AM

The problem is not the ones that reproduce here in the US. The Problem is the number of ones who are able to survive the massive amounts of pesticides Mexico allows to be used. That is what is killing them off.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 02:08 AM

When I was a kid, 60 some years ago, I saw migratory flight of 100's of thousands Monarch's. I'll never forget it, blocked out the Sun!
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
When I was a kid, 60 some years ago, I saw migratory flight of 100's of thousands Monarch's. I'll never forget it, blocked out the Sun!

Wow
Posted By: Mac McAtee

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 02:11 AM

That one is called a Viceroy Butterfly.
Originally Posted by Yukon John
You sure they weren't the other model? Isn't there a secondary species that mimics Monarchs, to curtail birds from on eating them? Can't think of their name at the moment.

Posted By: Yukon John

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by ][/quote

Thanks was just wondering if the b fly was misidentified.
Originally Posted by Mac McAtee
That one is called a Viceroy Butterfly.[quote=Yukon John]You sure they weren't the other model? Isn't there a secondary species that mimics Monarchs, to curtail birds from on eating them? Can't think of their name at the moment.

Thanks, was just wondering if the b fly was misidentified.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 02:18 AM

a couple of years ago the wife and I were sitting out on the driveway when we spotted a monarch come cruising by about 30 ft high, going south.
About a minute or two later another, then after awhile another.
This went on till we decided to call it a night and go inside.
We counted over a hundred of them one by one all heading south.

We have seen quite a few monarchs this summer around our yard.
Of course our yard is all prairie plants, grasses and wildflowers.
If you own an acre or two of land and you mow it for yard your taking potential butterfly habitat for what? Just to have to mow and worse yet if your fertilizing and herbiciding it what other damage are you doing?

Monarchs have several generations per summer, not only is Mexico a problem but the US is a problem too.
Mowing ditches, clearing fence lines, mowing land that could just as well be left wild not to mention pesticide usage in Ag all hurt.
Posted By: MJM

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mark K
The problem is not the ones that reproduce here in the US. The Problem is the number of ones who are able to survive the massive amounts of pesticides Mexico allows to be used. That is what is killing them off.

The quarter across the road from me was sprayed three times for grass hoppers this year according to one of his hired men. The guy farming it farms 13,000 acres, so there is plenty of spray in the US too. He also sprays weeds and fungus. It is common to see him spray a field 6-8 times a year.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 03:00 AM

Saw a group flying south today did not find a single caterpillar this summer
Posted By: Strut10

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 10:20 AM

Was mowing a small clover strip on my hilltop about a month ago. It drops off into a very steep weedy hillside and across a big open valley. There were a number of butterflies flying around as I mowed. One was a Monarch. If you've ever seen barn swallows when you mow a field.........they'll follow you and dive bomb all around grabbing the bugs the mower chases up. Sometimes they'll darn near hit you. Anyhoo.......... As I'm mowing, I see this Monarch out in front of the tractor 15-20 yards or so. As I'm watching it, a barn swallow took a hot pass RIGHT at it. As quick as the swallow veered off and a way, The Monarch took after it........matching it turn for turn for probably a 50 yard chase. I have never, EVER seen anything like it !!! But it was no coincidence. That butterfly was apparently NOT happy.
Posted By: jk

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 10:41 AM

I am a "caretaker" of sorts of 3500 acres of a Hunting club that is 1/5 old coal stripping. There is maybe 15 acres of milk weed and VERY few monarchs this year. A lot last year......jk
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 11:16 AM

they are building up here for there fight
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 11:27 AM

I've seen a fair amount this year. Monarchs aren't listed as being endangered or threatened by USFWS - yet. They are evaluating data (whatever that means). USFWS' next species listing is planned for 2024
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 12:21 PM

I have spotted a good number of Monarchs this summer. I have a fair amount of Common Milkweed on the place too, so I can usually find a caterpillar if I search the weeds for them. I have a bunch of big tall White pines around my house, and in years past we would get Monarchs roosting in the upper branches during late summer/early fall. They clump up in bushel basket sized groups. It is really neat to watch. They show up about a half hour before sundown
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 12:34 PM

I saw a group of about 2 dozen working over a patch of swamp milkweed about a week ago. I assume they were just feeding on the nectar and not laying eggs. This was on the edge of a big marsh off Lake Ontario. A lot of them cut across the NE corner of the lake and need to rest and refuel once they make it back to land
Posted By: RdFx

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 03:00 PM

Seen only one Monarch here in Wausau , Wi. ( North central Wi.)
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 04:16 PM

Not just Mexico ,Farmers here are really killing the environment to .
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MJM

The quarter across the road from me was sprayed three times for grass hoppers this year according to one of his hired men. The guy farming it farms 13,000 acres, so there is plenty of spray in the US too. He also sprays weeds and fungus. It is common to see him spray a field 6-8 times a year.

X2
Posted By: ks wolfer

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 06:57 PM

about fifteen years ago, while working in Mexico, somewhere near Xilitla ,in Feb I think---- It looked like a blizzard except it was Monarchs instead of snowflakes, I didnt have a cellphone/camera always wished I could've got that on film.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 08:28 PM

Just saw a monarch butterfly, this morning.
Posted By: BryanOney

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/01/22 10:05 PM

Just saw 3 monarchs out on my butterfly bush when I was out getting a tomato for my supper.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/02/22 02:40 AM

Not to be harsh, but any insect which relies on a single genus of plant to thrive is as doomed as the dinosaurs.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/02/22 12:03 PM

Was very few come up here this spring because of last winter population crash, so even less going south.
Shall be down to a farm in the middle of the prairie where maybe a 1000 overnight each night to scope it out.

52carl they feed on several species of milkweed not just one.
Posted By: run

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/02/22 12:19 PM

We still have some butterflies here. Not sure on the exact number of Monarchs.

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/02/22 10:30 PM

Just was out walking around the property........... Came across a small patch of milkweed so I looked through it. Found 3 Monarch caterpillars munching away. Are these things gonna pupate and hatch in time to make the migration ??? Seems awfully late, doesn't it ??
Posted By: Catch22

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/02/22 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
It would be neat to see the migrating monarchs.

The endangered status of monarchs is based on uneducated public opinion and very bad science. The number of monarchs varies greatly from year to year. Studies estimate there is 80% less to 25% less monarchs than there was 80 years ago. One good year could easily set a new record for the number of monarchs. Their population numbers always wildly fluctuate like other insects do..

Keith

Hi Keith, hope you and Diane are well. I would disagree. I seen what seemed like millions in my youth and they have never rebounded since then. Populations among species do fluctuate but nothing like with Monarchs. I think it's not only habitat but pesticides, herbicides to grow more crops.

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/02/22 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Strut10
Just was out walking around the property........... Came across a small patch of milkweed so I looked through it. Found 3 Monarch caterpillars munching away. Are these things gonna pupate and hatch in time to make the migration ??? Seems awfully late, doesn't it ??

I think they'll make it. They spend about 2 weeks from birth to cocoon and then 2 weeks from cocoon to butterfly and they're on their way.

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/03/22 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Strut10

I think they'll make it. They spend about 2 weeks from birth to cocoon and then 2 weeks from cocoon to butterfly and they're on their way.

Well................... The 2 week forecast for here is still showing 70's and 80's, so.......

Hopefully they make the trip.

Anybody know if it is typical for them to be going through the cycle this late in the summer ??
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/03/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Was very few come up here this spring because of last winter population crash, so even less going south.
Shall be down to a farm in the middle of the prairie where maybe a 1000 overnight each night to scope it out.

52carl they feed on several species of milkweed not just one.

OK. I will change my post to "single genus" of plant, but I still stand by my statement with all due respect, and with genuine sadness in their dire straits.

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/03/22 09:50 AM

Not extinct yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/03/22 10:27 AM

was back in my woods on edge of swamp and saw lot of monarch yesterday more than ever
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/03/22 10:35 AM

When we lived SE of San Antonio, we'd have incredible back porch views of Monarchs migrating every fall. Growing up in MI, I'd never seen such a sight. When the two weeks of fall migration occurred, for days there'd be zillions of Monarchs flying past and at times our acreage would have thousands in view.

Me and the grandkids used to sit and enjoy all the pretty butterflies.

Quite a sight.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/03/22 11:54 AM

lots here in eastern wv
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/03/22 01:27 PM

There has bee a lot of confusion over the IUCN Red Listing the monarch. Many people have been reporting it as the monarch being listed as endangered by the USFWS which is no the case. I made a video about it when it happened a month or so ago. It tells what the IUCN found and did and what the USFWS is doing also.

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/03/22 01:40 PM

Interesting
Posted By: cpizzicharlie

Re: monarch butterflies - 09/04/22 01:44 PM

Strut10 thanks for the post.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums