Home

300 billion student loan forgiveness??

Posted By: Marty

300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 12:57 AM

Big play coming by biden for buying votes...
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 01:08 AM

Must be nice to be able to give away other people's money. What a
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 01:12 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 01:21 AM

I Can't wait until old Pedo Pete makes all of the illegals naturalized too. That's about the only thing he has left to screw up.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 01:31 AM

This should be run in every congressional district this fall:

Posted By: Squash

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 11:10 AM

Now everyone knows why Biden needs 87,000 new IRS goons.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 11:21 AM

More welfare. Infuriating.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 12:06 PM

Blatant vote buying!! mad
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 12:11 PM

Ridiculous. I didn't rack up nearly as much debt as some of the people going to a 4 year being I only went to a two year college. But even still I paid in cash every semester as due. And I'll admit I was broke with everything else when I had to pay that bill but even still I didn't get any help I had to do it myself. And now if you meet certain income requirements there just going to give away $10,000 a person which I think is wrong. Why don't they give $10,000 for people to pay their mortgages as well... crazy
Posted By: Kart29

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 12:16 PM

Even more than buying votes, I think this move is catering to big corporate welfare. The colleges and universities have a huge racket going - all propped up by government money.

Remember what happened in 2008 with the housing market when they were loaning all kinds of money to people they new couldn't pay back the loans? The housing market crashed. Now, I think we are seeing much the same thing with the all the student loans they gave to people that now aren't able to pay them back. If they don't forgive the student loans, the college and university market could crash with many of them going bankrupt and fewer people paying huge money for a college degree. The democrats don't want their biggest propaganda and indoctrination institutions to go bust.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 12:33 PM

How do you think the people who spent time overseas to get on the GI bill for school feel?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 02:04 PM

I wright the check every semester for my daughter's classes. I work 16 hr shifts and days off to do it. I want her to have a berrer start than I did.( someone needed to be able to pay for my privet nursing home room some day;) )

I paid cash for my classes before I decide to quit. I got into the Ironworkers apprenticeship went through that. Ironworked untill I found a better more steady job that I have been at for 16 years now.

Funny all this educated people can't change their oil, a tire, or do simple repairs in there home. They have to pay others to do that.

I think going to trade school and apprenticeships are one of the best things going. Just chose the right one like electrical or hvac. Much better than say ironworking .
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 02:31 PM

How many more billions can the old man give away of our money?
Posted By: newtoga

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 02:47 PM

Finished paying off my 2 sons loans a few years ago. No vacations no new vehicles until they were paid. I feel screwed.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 02:49 PM

Biden just gave the middle finger to every hard working American who didn't go to college or worked to put their kids through college.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 02:53 PM

I know a guy that rode his 4 wheeler 12 miles to work everyday for several years toput his daughters through college. Joe should ask him what he thinks of his debt forgivness.
Posted By: rex123

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 03:21 PM

I understand why he is doing it he is buying votes what I don't understand is how it works. I mean they have their education so IF they get their money back do they give back what they have learned or is it simply a case of something for nothing?
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 03:22 PM

May backfire with voters. People that already paid off their loans and didn’t go to college aren’t going to like it. Also, the NAACP said it is for the upper class white people.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by rex123
I understand why he is doing it he is buying votes what I don't understand is how it works. I mean they have their education so IF they get their money back do they give back what they have learned or is it simply a case of something for nothing?

I am guessing but the money will go to the banks that made the student loans not the people that took out the loan. Many millions of student loans are outstanding and not being paid. They can't garnish wages and take their tax refunds if they are not working or working for cash.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by rex123

I am guessing but the money will go to the banks that made the student loans not the people that took out the loan. Many millions of student loans are outstanding and not being paid. They can't garnish wages and take their tax refunds if they are not working or working for cash.

Well the earning power with a expensive degree many times is way out of balance with the ability to repay! Higher education is a BIG BUSINESS! And way too liberal…..
Posted By: Posco

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 03:42 PM

If there is a federal student loan program still in existence, it needs to be shut down.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by larrywaugh
Biden just gave the middle finger to every hard working American who didn't go to college or worked to put their kids through college.

And those of us that worked hard to pay or own tuition.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 05:29 PM

Negative impact on future employment opportunities.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 05:45 PM

Was this part of the "Inflation reduction act" they recently passed? What a crock of BS.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 06:16 PM

UNBELIEVABLE! The idiot in chief has struck again. We paid off my wife's and my student loans. Why should we and others pay off agreements made by the affected students? Long term cost: $ 300 Billion.
Really smart. How much can this nation take of this spend free moron? This man is lower than the whale poop on the bottom of the deep blue sea!
Posted By: RockCrick

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 06:27 PM

When I graduated college in 08, my first employer post graduation offered a 1967 camp trailer parked in the equipment compound behind the office building for me to live in for free, it sort of benefitted them to have me there since they were having a lot of theft problems. I froze my butt off in North Idaho for 9 months just using a stove burner for heat and making a 100 yard dash to a shower in the shop building and paid my loans off in 9 months putting basically 80% of my income at my debts. Granted I only had $20k in debt, but I also worked in college, worked my tail off in the summers, started at a community college, got good enough grades to get a few scholarships, and didn’t go and buy a car with student loans like some of my classmates did. A lot of these people with insane loan balances borrowed money for their entire existence, groceries, rent, bar tabs etc. Now they want their loans forgiven, it’s pathetic. If you have $200k in loans and don’t have Dr. or Lawyer by your name you are a complete moron.

I’ll be waiting on a reimbursement check from Biden and also an additional amount for pain and suffering freezing in a camper. Getting ahead in life is all about sacrifices, this only teaches an entire generation that if you don’t want to fulfill your obligations then you’re entitled to a bail out.
Posted By: badger

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Originally Posted by larrywaugh

And those of us that worked hard to pay or own tuition.

This
Posted By: adam m

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 07:52 PM

Biting my tongue

I busted my...... & I paid cash for my education.
Posted By: corky

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 08:09 PM

The government has mastered the art of being irresponsible with debt and now they are indoctrinating our young people into thinking that it is the way it should be.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
May backfire with voters. People that already paid off their loans and didn’t go to college aren’t going to like it. Also, the NAACP said it is for the upper class white people.

Most minorities got a free college degree...if they chose to.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 08:19 PM

100 billion here, a hundred billion there...pretty soon you're talking "real money"...

as a stupid boomer, I paid for my daughter's bachelor's degree; at the expense of my retirement account.

they sure are pulling out all of the stops to save this sorry excuse for a "government".
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 08:53 PM

Joe's not buying votes or buying anything. He's making us buy the votes for him. Somebody chooses extended education so they can make more money for themselves, and the working man gets to pay their bill. How is that right? I heard somebody say they should have cancer debt foregiveness because cancer is not a choice. That makes more sense than forgiving college debt.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 09:31 PM

I'm wondering if this will even stand. This idiot thinks he can "forgive" debt with the stroke of a pen.
These executive order privelages have got to stop, no matter who is President.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
I'm wondering if this will even stand. This idiot thinks he can "forgive" debt with the stroke of a pen.
These executive order privelages have got to stop, no matter who is President.

It's taxation without representation! Our forefathers fought a revolution over this.
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/24/22 11:34 PM

Good post RockCrick. Really like your story!
Posted By: Northernbeaver

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 12:05 AM

Well when they just print it out of thin air for these things it isn't really other people's money. It just makes other people's money worth less.
Posted By: trapdye

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 01:25 AM

It's tough, My son had four years of collage & worked during the four years. The last five years after school he's been working like crazy to pay the loan off. He finished paying March of 2022.
I know of people that went to collage and never worried about paying them back. Gives ya a crappy feeling.
Posted By: wr otis

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 01:28 AM

I heard today that families that make under 250k will be eligible. If you're making 250k, pay your own stinking bills.

Why don't they use that money to try and get homeless people straightened out. Why does the richest country in the world, have a homeless problem?

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by wr otis
I heard today that families that make under 250k will be eligible. If you're making 250k, pay your own stinking bills.

Why don't they use that money to try and get homeless people straightened out. Why does the richest country in the world, have a homeless problem?

Becuse they closed the state hospitals, and enable drug users.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 01:45 AM

College's have a racket going better than the mafia could of ever dreamed of, get tax payer's to fund all their big building's, research facility's, etc. Then over charge student's for a crappy product, if the education they paid for was worth the thousands of dollars they paid for it wouldn't they be out working high paying jobs and able to pay of their own loans? Since they can't find work and can't pay off their debt that 'education' the college sold them must not be worth the paper it's written on.

Crappy diploma owning idiot's that can't pay the university's back what they owe them, no problem we'll just have all those who couldn't afford to go to college pay it off for them!

Hope everyone is enjoy this new Soviet Union American Style country we have.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 02:10 AM

There’s an awful lot of scenerios where other peoples money gets given away to get others further ahead. A lot.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 02:15 AM

they aren't taking your tax dollars to pay for it it is even worst than that . they are taking a percentage of every dollar you have or will have without levying an unpopular tax on any of it. because they are paying debts with fractional dollars running the printing press(digital) fast enough that they hope to have paid back the gov loan dollars putting that money back in an account they will also use almost instantly before you realize how much less your money is worth.

Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 03:06 AM

It sucks but it's better than sending it to Ukraine or some other foreign country. You know they are going to spend it somewhere stupid. It's what they do. Makes me feel like a sucker for paying all our student loans.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by rvsask

There’s an awful lot of scenerios where other peoples money gets given away to get others further ahead. A lot.

#SeeCanada
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 03:32 AM

Bachelors degree and law degree with not one loan. Always worked full time and more.

Wife got a bachelors degree with no loans. She got student loans for 2 semesters of law school. We repaid the loans in 2 years after she graduated.

So when do we get rebates?
Posted By: MattLA

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 05:01 AM

Ask yourself. Should the man with the Electric truck qualify? How about the couple who make 249k? The good thing is that there is a large legal battle that is in the beginnings as we speak. Closer look at the authorities being used to conduct this EA are questionable at best. Also the Whitehouse would have a tough time explaining the undue burden for existing student loans, while continuing to issue brand new loans. Likely multiple legal challenges to this that will prevail. I do qualify, and for those who dont know, its possible to never pay back student loans. You can have a 0 payment, as long as you make all of those 0 payments you will be forgiven at the end. Income restrictions obviously, but just for SA.
Posted By: DWC

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 05:40 AM

Overheard a couple of my “conservative” coworkers say this will help pay off their spouses loans and theyve been out of school for 10-12 years and still have massive debt. When i chimed in that its a bunch of horsesh*t, it got quiet. So while those of use who paid ours off the old fashion way, with money, millions of “conservatives” will jump at the chance to take free money. I saw a clip of our awesome press secretary saying the money will help those struggling families making like than a quarter million. She and most of her counterparts could use a swift throat punch. Also read an article suggesting this will increase inflation even more. Makes sense.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
It sucks but it's better than sending it to Ukraine or some other foreign country. You know they are going to spend it somewhere stupid. It's what they do. Makes me feel like a sucker for paying all our student loans.

They are still sending billions to Ukraine, don't worry about that! mad

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 10:42 AM

Nothing really new about that. Has become a primary function of governments everywhere.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 11:08 AM

The horse is outta the barn y'all.

It is written by commentators that FDR, in the 1930's, forever changed the small "racket" of the government to a "big time racket" with his New Deal(s).
And the following governmental philosophy, written about Franklin Roosevelt, is still with us, though ramped up to a level never seen before.
It was always about power and it still is.

In this madness, the New Dealers had a method. Despite its economic illogic and incoherence, the New Deal served as a massive vote-buying scheme. Coming into power at a time of widespread destitution, high unemployment, and business failures, the Roosevelt administration recognized that the president and his Democratic allies in Congress could appropriate unprecedented sums of money and channel them into the hands of recipients who would respond by giving political support to their benefactors. As John T. Flynn said of FDR, “it was always easy to interest him in a plan which would confer some special benefit upon some special class in the population in exchange for their votes,” and eventually “no political boss could compete with him in any county in America in the distribution of money and jobs.”. - John T. Flynn, The Roosevelt Myth (Garden City, N.Y.: Garden City Books, 1948), p. 86.

We're coming up on 100 years of massive federal government spending to buy votes to maintain power for those bent in it.
We'll see how she floats.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: BigBob

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 11:41 AM

It's "magic" money. It doesn't exist. They will just snap their fingers and it will appear out of thin air! Just overtime for the press operators.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob

It's "magic" money. It doesn't exist. They will just snap their fingers and it will appear out of thin air! Just overtime for the press operators.

it isn't magic , the "magic" is that the magician pick pocketed every person at the show emptied their wallets and ripped a corner off every bill and placed their wallets back in their pockets , then made 300 billion new bills using the corner of trillions of other bills and the audience won't know till they go to pay for parking after the show is over that they have been swindled and while they were in the show parking stayed 10 full bills and they have 15 partials in their wallet parking now costs them 12 of those partial bills.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 01:20 PM

Nessmuck, or see yourselves. You know stuff like farm subsidies, energy company subsidies, subsidies subsidies subsidies. Did I mention subsidies ?

Or taxpayers in middle USA paying to replace some millionaire’s (many actually)summer home that got walloped by a hurricane or some other disaster.
Then there are things like motor company bailouts, mortgage bailouts, housing, urban development, Medicare,Medicaid etc etc.

But pretending it happens only in Canada and not there is ignorant at very best. Lol
Posted By: Dirt

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman
How do you think the people who spent time overseas to get on the GI bill for school feel?

I feel fine. This is America where votes need to be bought. If I got offended every time the gubmint hands out free printed or borrowed money to Americans or foreigners for that matter, I would have spent my entire life offended.

Do I believe in all this nonsense, no, but it only is getting worse. Picking winners and losers. It is what the gubmint does.
Posted By: MJM

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 01:36 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 02:02 PM

"How to Apply for Forgiveness for Your Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan"

"In 2020, more than 18% of all mortgage origination were through the FHA and VA offices. And while the USDA Rural Development office does not track its home loan programs in relation to the national market (it represents a small portion of the overall market), it has a significant impact on rural areas that heavily depend on the USDA to supply mortgages, an agency spokesperson said.

The administration’s new assistance program is intended to help curb a wave of foreclosures post-pandemic, especially in today’s current housing conditions of rising rent and exorbitant home prices across the country."
Posted By: wr otis

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 02:34 PM

Reread Tofan's post, this is likely not going to make it thru legal challenges. They used the covid emergency as a basis for this ex order. But they've already used a lack of covid emergency, as their reasoning for border policy change.

Say they know legal challenges will not be considered or completed until after the election. Biden brags about helping students up until the election, but knows all the time it's going to be thrown out later.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 03:30 PM

More to do with buying votes for the mid term elections. The solution to student loans, is holding colleges and university’s accountable for their outrageously high tuitions, all the while sitting on billions of dollars of endowments.

But it’s all part of the plan, government guaranteed loans, so colleges can charge what ever they want, professors can make lucrative salaries, so they can brain wash your kids.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 03:42 PM

I think the goal is to make undeserving, greedy people mad at the mean Republicans, who will try to block this ludicrous executive order, so that the greedy people will vote democrat in November.

Keith
Posted By: hippie

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 05:27 PM

He just solidified, molded the young minds of 43 million kids that socialism is good, and the democrats are the party to get you more of other peoples money.

I hope the people who wanted anyone but Trump because he's ruff around the edges are happy with the alternative!

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 05:59 PM

"President Donald Trump on Saturday signed an executive order continuing the pause on monthly payments and interest for many federal student loan borrowers until the end of the year.

Trump’s order is aimed at circumventing Congress to extend the emergency student loan relief granted in March under the CARES Act. That payment leeway is set to expire for roughly 40 million Americans on Sept. 30, just weeks before the presidential election.

“Today I’m extending this policy through the end of the year, and we’ll extend it further than that, most likely right after Dec. 1,” the president said before signing the order.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by wr otis
Reread Tofan's post, this is likely not going to make it thru legal challenges. They used the covid emergency as a basis for this ex order. But they've already used a lack of covid emergency, as their reasoning for border policy change.

Say they know legal challenges will not be considered or completed until after the election. Biden brags about helping students up until the election, but knows all the time it's going to be thrown out later.

Bingo and with precision to the point. Biden's team are only using this for mid terms, the authorities used are COVID ones that are not likely to meet the muster.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 06:32 PM

Biden and his crones don’t care if it ,”meets the muster.”

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 07:46 PM

If it works and they win the courts will be packed and ever they want will pass muster.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/25/22 08:49 PM

No worries, I will work harder so student's can party and carry on.
And get a free ride, what next we all ready work for the welfare recipients as it is huh

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt
"President Donald Trump on Saturday signed an executive order continuing the pause on monthly payments and interest for many federal student loan borrowers until the end of the year.

Trump’s order is aimed at circumventing Congress to extend the emergency student loan relief granted in March under the CARES Act. That payment leeway is set to expire for roughly 40 million Americans on Sept. 30, just weeks before the presidential election.

“Today I’m extending this policy through the end of the year, and we’ll extend it further than that, most likely right after Dec. 1,” the president said before signing the order.

Pausing monthly payments is a tad different than forgiving those payments. But you already know that.
And for those that still owe, joey extended the pause again until December.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 01:22 PM

I’m sure the forgiven PPP loans for all the wealthy Republican Congress people are okay though right? I mean as long as MTG screams about Brandon daily then her forgiven loan is likely okay right?

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 01:25 PM

I’m sure the forgiven PPP loans for all the wealthy Republican Congress people are okay though right? I mean as long as MTG screams about Brandon daily then her forgiven loan is likely okay right?

I have not heard any one say any of that was a good thing. Infact I believe I remember threads talking negative about all that as well. Nice attempt to change the topic to something else but poorly executed.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 01:32 PM

PF, if it was stated that those loans forgiven was wrong (a lot of dollars) then I missed that and stand corrected. But in reality, if I had to choose (I paid my student loans) I’d rather loans get forgiven for some struggling electrician or whatever so they can dump some more money into the economy on whatever, maybe helping whoever, than it further lining the pockets of wealthy politicians.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 01:42 PM

Your body , your choice, your loan, your payment.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 01:55 PM

How many loads have for forgive to foreign countries. How many billions have we given away to foreign country every day. Student loans are as bad as loan sharks. JMO
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 01:55 PM

The student loan forgiveness is as much a bank and colleges bailout as it is a borrower bail out. Ponder on this a bit
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 02:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
The student loan forgiveness is as much a bank and colleges bailout as it is a borrower bail out. Ponder on this a bit

Please explain how this is a college bail out. Thanks

P.S. Are not these student loans government guaranteed loans? You know where the taxpayers assume the risks and the banks get the profit? Is this not the deal that is made?

"Following the passage of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010, the Federal Direct Loan Program is the sole government-backed loan program in the United States. Guaranteed loans—loans originated and funded by private lenders but guaranteed by the government—were eliminated because of a perception that they benefited private student loan companies at the expense of taxpayers, but did not help reduce costs for students."

Guess that system is gone.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 03:18 PM

PF, if it was stated that those loans forgiven was wrong (a lot of dollars) then I missed that and stand corrected. But in reality, if I had to choose (I paid my student loans) I’d rather loans get forgiven for some struggling electrician or whatever so they can dump some more money into the economy on whatever, maybe helping whoever, than it further lining the pockets of wealthy politicians.

The problem is that electricians, plumbers, carpenters or anything trade wise are not the folks that are targeted for a few reasons, mostly since there is no "traditional" college for those trades, those jobs all pay way more than what the entire sum of the schools that do exist cost and depending on whatever state you live in a good majority are union run. Somebody making 125k, or 250k for a family is not somebody who is going to be boondoggled with student loans, no matter how many people come out of the woodwork claiming to be so. Who does that leave? Teachers, doctors, scientists, lawyers, business degrees, engineering degrees, computer related degrees and then the "other". Teachers already have targeted approaches for their entire student loans to be completely forgiven from both federal and state; doctors and lawyers have an entirely separate way that they do college, and the jobs are also very very different, but lawyers on average would qualify. Scientists of some sort would qualify, but scientists is a catch all that includes things like biologist, all the way to accountant to a degree. This leaves engineering, business degrees and "other". The engineering depends heavily on what school you choose, and what followup job, but in my personal experience there are little to no engineers that are hard pressed and suffer because of student loans. I am completely against business degrees, and don't believe things like marketing, business management or PMPs should ever be eligible for loans. For me personally this leaves the "other" category along with say 10%-15% of a few of the other categories, but what does the "other" entail? Legitimately 4 year degrees like "fluidity of non-conscious movements of gendered allotments", "Humanities specified in the 12th century of an ancient pacific civilization", "Non-Specified specialty", "Generalist", "Musician", "Macro-Reverberations of past actions in the common civilization", "Colonial Racism" and lastly "Affirmed Universal Emotions and Wellbeing studies."

The issue is that the poor electrician you mentioned is the one that pays the piper for everybody, especially those who racked up huge debts and never even graduated because they didn't have the focus to finish school. This also includes bad grades, drop outs and people who have student loans that don't even pay taxes. I don't know how much of Canada pays taxes, but literally in the USA over 50% do not pay taxes, which means there is realistically another 40% of tax money that isn't even in play. Depending on what state, and the family situation "minimum wage" workers also will have to share the brunt, meanwhile they get no benefit even under the guise of it being strategic for the government to do. There also exists an entire host of people who never went to college for multiple different reasons who will now have to pay for those who didn't do the right thing who did go to college. There is a difference between helping people who are really struggling and that are over-burdened by student loans, but we are talking about less than a 1% thing, how do I know? Anybody who has student loans that would qualify for the 10k or 20k payback, just had to call and say "I don't make enough money" and they can get their monthly repayment amount all the way down to 0 even. If you owned say 160 monthly payments, all you would need to do is wait 160 months at $0, and the entire loan would be forgiven.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 03:26 PM

In a lot of cases high school graduates are shuffled off to higher education to figure out what to do with their life payed for by someone else. It has been my long standing that it’s backwards. Upon graduation get a job and learn to work THEN go on with your education! No need for BIG BUSINESS EDUCATION DEBT!
Posted By: Posco

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 03:57 PM

Biden just said MAGA Americans are a threat to democracy. He's attacking the American people. Crass doesn't begin to describe that guy.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 05:41 PM

Biden is unleashing all the power he holds, FBI, Justice and other departments on MAGA! And he wasn’t even……. Never mind!
Posted By: Marty

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 05:44 PM

Well, if your not E now you may be after 11/08. Or maybe after they make you wear a red T on your clothing....
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 07:56 PM

Please explain how this is a college bail out. Thanks

P.S. Are not these student loans government guaranteed loans? You know where the taxpayers assume the risks and the banks get the profit? Is this not the deal that is made?

"Following the passage of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010, the Federal Direct Loan Program is the sole government-backed loan program in the United States. Guaranteed loans—loans originated and funded by private lenders but guaranteed by the government—were eliminated because of a perception that they benefited private student loan companies at the expense of taxpayers, but did not help reduce costs for students."

Guess that system is gone.

Colleges can keep on charging whatever they want, funding won't dry up.
College has gone up over 2x the rate of inflation I the last 20 years.
Posted By: Wildcatdad

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 08:03 PM

You all do realize that the federal government gives an American Opportunity credit for anyone that goes to college and qualifies. This is $2,500.00 per year for four years. It has been there for a long time and nobody is complaining. $10,000 for most college kids.

Lets talk about the child tax credit. It is $2,000.00 a year for the first 16 years of a childs life. Have three kids and you get almost $100,000.00 in tax credits for them.

Stimulus money, each adult received $3,200.00. How many sent it back? The Amish did.

It is hypocritical to complain about the government giving free handouts to someone else and taking free handouts for yourself.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 08:21 PM

Colleges can keep on charging whatever they want, funding won't dry up.
College has gone up over 2x the rate of inflation I the last 20 years.

Was funding going away because the borrowers were not paying back their loans?

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wildcatdad
You all do realize that the federal government gives an American Opportunity credit for anyone that goes to college and qualifies. This is $2,500.00 per year for four years. It has been there for a long time and nobody is complaining. $10,000 for most college kids.

Lets talk about the child tax credit. It is $2,000.00 a year for the first 16 years of a childs life. Have three kids and you get almost $100,000.00 in tax credits for them.

Stimulus money, each adult received $3,200.00. How many sent it back? The Amish did.

It is hypocritical to complain about the government giving free handouts to someone else and taking free handouts for yourself.

Wee bit of difference between congress approving that stuff (right or wrong, at least it went through the proper channels) and sniffy doing it with a stroke of his pen.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 09:39 PM

Well stated.
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 09:58 PM

The difference between covid money and student loans is people signed a contract to pay it back. If everyone had to pay it back most would not have taken it. I can't believe someone knows every Amish in the US.
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/26/22 11:14 PM

Do you think this would have happened if it weren't for an election coming up?
Posted By: beeman

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 11:20 AM

Listed here are critics of the student loan forgiveness.

I wonder why they weren’t critical of the PPP program. LOL

[Linked Image]

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 11:27 AM

Those Republicans are 100 percent correct to be critical of the student loan giveaway. And they should also be 100 percent against the PPP program. Welfare takes many forms and should all be eliminated.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 11:35 AM

There is a big difference in taking Covid payments or PPP loans compared to student loan forgiveness. The government told you you couldn’t go to work or you had to close your business so I have no problem with people taking it. No body forced anyone to go to college. Another weak communist argument.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
There is a big difference in taking Covid payments or PPP loans compared to student loan forgiveness. The government told you you couldn’t go to work or you had to close your business so I have no problem with people taking it. No body forced anyone to go to college. Another weak communist argument.

That may have been the intention, but I know for a fact there were people around here that got the PPP "loans" that were not affected by covid and would have been just fine without it. It was completely asinine to shut down the economy like they did in the first place, but that's another story completely. grin

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 11:49 AM

Fair enough. I had to take a loan out for a vehicle which enabled me to earn a living. If people who take a loan to go to school to further their ability to make a living get a $10,000 loan payment, where's my $10,000 payment on my car loan?
As far as the $3200, .gov has been stealing my money since 1986 so I'm not going to complain when I get some of my money back. Personally though I would have preferred a permanent tax cut instead of $3200 of printed money.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by beeman

[Linked Image]

You post this as no dems took the pay out. You do realize that to get the payment you had to have employees? It was given to "businesses", with employees, That couldnt work, because of govt mandated shut downs. Ssssslllllooooowwwww enogh for you?
Posted By: beeman

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 01:02 PM

Diggerman,

Maybe no Democrats listed because they weren’t critical of the student loan forgiveness loan program. Understand or should i go slower for you!!!!!
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 01:51 PM

Democrats are never critical of socialist programs that reward people for not doing the right thing.
Posted By: bigdog

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Diggerman

[Linked Image]

You post this as no dems took the pay out. You do realize that to get the payment you had to have employees? It was given to "businesses", with employees, That couldnt work, because of govt mandated shut downs. Ssssslllllooooowwwww enogh for you?

Wrong! My son puts cable in the ground. Nobody missed a day of work. Company took out over 1 million in PPP loans. You should check out all the farmers, insurance agents, etc... that didn't miss a day of work and the amount of money they received in PPP loans. It' simple to find and will make you sick.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 02:16 PM

Diggerman,

Maybe no Democrats listed because they weren’t critical of the student loan forgiveness loan program. Understand or should i go slower for you!!!!!

Your post was designed in a way to make a persons think that only Republicans took the loan, maybe you didnt get the connection when you copied and pasted this from pravda.
Are some of you guys just that dense or do you really not see the difference? I swear that if cnn told you all trees have green leaves you would go to your grave defending them, even when Fall rolled around.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by bigdog

Wrong! My son puts cable in the ground. Nobody missed a day of work. Company took out over 1 million in PPP loans. You should check out all the farmers, insurance agents, etc... that didn't miss a day of work and the amount of money they received in PPP loans. It' simple to find and will make you sick.

I think you are confused about something, but it's not your fault the entire PPP has been purposely clouded. There are PPP Loans, and then there was a free $20k that from the beginning never had to be paid back, but you absolutely had to have employees. There were some PPP loans that were forgiven and never had to be paid back, but the program was poorly administrated and you could lie to gain eligibility. The entire purpose was that because COVID disrupted a lot of stuff, this was a way to keep paychecks going to the worker in order to keep money spending in the economy.

It's a very weak argument to me personally to try to compare the Paycheck Protection Program(PPP) which Congress(the Legislative Branch) passed and an executive order that POTUS is trying to use COVID as the reason for the cancellation. The outrage is taxation without representation, not that it's helping other fellow citizens. POTUS does this EA knowing that it will not pass lawsuits, because of the weak and poor authority that was used to try to pass this. Republicans are going to oppose this rightfully because Congress didn't pass it, Democrats are saying "it's good it's good" knowing that they didn't have to vote on it either. Congress passed laws in 2007 that created the PSFL, and enabled the monthly payment program to go down to 0 if your income is low enough and should be the ones spearheading this, but they wont because they know how the American People feel.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 03:30 PM

If you think I support the way this student loan forgiveness was passed or that I'm a democrat, you are confused. Also, I guess my neighbor who is a farmer, that brags about his PPP loans must be lying to me?

https://www.federalpay.org/paycheck-protection-program

Literally thousands of people claiming ONE employee!

If I'm wrong, I guess I'll eat crow.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 03:51 PM

If you dont think farmers got hit financially from the shut downs you are not right. Beef prices went at the farm because of plant shut downs, yet went up at store level. Dairy farmers dumped milk because of plant shut downs. Any Farmer worth his salt will tell you he would have made more money and preferred business as usual to all the covid checks.
Inflation brought on by all this CR has doubled the operating costs to all farmers.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 04:03 PM

@Bigdog, I didn't think any of that, I was simply pointing out that the original criteria was not clearcut like we understand it today. Whether or not a farmer brags about PPP loans doesn't negate what anybody said, PPP was designed to keep paychecks going to workers to keep spending in the economy. "Paycheck Protection Program". There just is no reason to bring up PPP as a comparison, because it was passed by Congress, not through some executive action so it's not apples to apples, not even apples to oranges, it's like blueberries to elephants.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 04:19 PM

Comparing PPP LOANS to forgiving student loans? I guess if that's all ya can come up with to support liberal socialism, go for it but don't expect most of us to see right thru ypu.

First of many reasons there's no comparison is the Gov't mandate of closures of all but essential businesses and therefore not make money to pay their overhead which didn't stop.
I could go on but I'm sure it would be useless.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 04:24 PM

If one stupid government give away of money we don't have happens, does that somenow justify the next one?

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Comparing PPP LOANS to forgiving student loans? I guess if that's all ya can come up with to support liberal socialism, go for it but don't expect most of us to see right thru ypu.

First of many reasons there's no comparison is the Gov't mandate of closures of all but essential businesses and therefore not make money to pay their overhead which didn't stop.

First and foremost, I'm 100% Republican! Second if you don't have a problem with people taking unnecessary PPP loans that's on you! I mean seriously look at the link I posted and see how many people, most likely people you know who the ONLY employee is are themselves and were not affected by covid shutdowns! Your assumption about me is laughable!!!
Have a nice day, I'm going to spend it with my grandkids.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/27/22 05:07 PM

First and foremost, I'm 100% Republican! Second if you don't have a problem with people taking unnecessary PPP loans that's on you! I mean seriously look at the link I posted and see how many people, most likely people you know who the ONLY employee is are themselves and were not affected by covid shutdowns! Your assumption about me is laughable!!!

They weren't designed to be for the unnecessary, unlike this loan forgiveness, and that's on the leaches that stole them and the Gov't for lack of oversight on the PPP loans.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/29/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
The difference between covid money and student loans is people signed a contract to pay it back. If everyone had to pay it back most would not have taken it. I can't believe someone knows every Amish in the US.

Congress can pass a 20000 dollar tax credit for people who have student loans so they can meet their contractual obligation. Repulicans can call it a tax cut for the middle class.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/29/22 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson

Congress can pass a 20000 dollar tax credit for people who have student loans so they can meet their contractual obligation. Repulicans can call it a tax cut for the middle class.

If you can not pay back your student loan, you probably wont have a tax obligation .

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/29/22 06:38 PM

Look up tax credit
Posted By: bass10

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/29/22 06:49 PM

Bigdog, I will not argue some of that went to unnecessary people/companies. But if they only had themselves as an employee they got very little. It was based on three months of payroll, so the most they received was three months of their salary. Which I get could be a decent sum. I will say for me it saved my company somewhat. My 3 employees were laid off, sales were 20% and it forced me to get them back in the shop (and off
unemployment). I was a lone staff, even with sales way down, doing the work of 4. Answering emails and keeping production going. I wasn't nearly as efficient as them doing what they did.

As for the buying votes, yes I agree. However, I believe he's gonna lose a lot as well to the people that paid their loans like they were suppose to. Both party supporters are (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off and may swing as many votes to
Republicans. Both my kids hovered around the $10K student loans because they thought this was coming. They both can easily pay them back but will take the handout. I guarantee it won't sway how they vote!
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/29/22 07:49 PM

Both are welfare. Same with the payments sent out to some people during Covid.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/29/22 10:29 PM

Could we get TPP = Trapper Protection Payments for the mess Covid has made of international fur transactions? shocked laugh whistle
Posted By: mnsota

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/30/22 04:17 AM

Mr. Malarkey said a couple days ago that those given 10,000 dollar reprieve would now be able to pursue a home purchase,..what?,..they can't afford ten grand but somehow capable
to fulfill a commitment of 200,000?,..or better,

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/30/22 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mnsota
Mr. Malarkey said a couple days ago that those given 10,000 dollar reprieve would now be able to pursue a home purchase,..what?,..they can't afford ten grand but somehow capable

LOL, that's how they think!

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/30/22 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mnsota

He said pursue a home purchase, never mentioned any commitment to pay it off.

Re: 300 billion student loan forgiveness?? - 08/30/22 03:12 PM

They can get a fha garranteed loan. Collect their first time homeowner tax credit and the bank can sell tie loan to the fed reserve,
© 2024 Trapperman Forums