Home

Prickly Pair Fruit

Posted By: YamaCat

Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 02:37 AM

Anybody ever make anything out of these? We seem to have a Banner crop this year.By anything, I mean jelly, syrup, booze ? Lol. [Linked Image]
Posted By: trapOH

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 02:52 AM

Some good stuff there , had it the first time in Peru . The wife would love a box of that !!!
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 03:09 AM

Nope, but I saw it in NYS. Very uncommon, but it grows naturally in a few areas along the Hudson River.
Posted By: trapOH

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 03:26 AM

The wife says in Peru they do make a jelly from them , Her sister moved to Mexico and they peel and slice the cactus pads
soak them in salt water for a few hours then pickle them. also use the pads peeled then sliced and cooked w/ meats for tacos.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 03:46 AM

I've made jelly from them, but dealing with the spines make it almost not worth it.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 04:10 AM

Prickly pear. Beats crawling on it going after antegoats...
Posted By: WTT03

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 07:24 AM

I really like them. I mostly eat them raw but have made jelly that's really good and I currently have a "test" gallon of prickly pear wine bulk aging (haven't tasted it yet so can't comment if it's any good...fingers crossed!). I wish I lived in an area where they grew but I'm still able to find them at some local markets that have been shipped in. I guess the biggest plus for buying at market is that they're already de-spined. Making syrup sounds good too, may have to try that!
Posted By: adam m

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 07:33 AM

So good. Eat them raw. Juice them.

Not giving away family secret of how we cook them.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 08:54 AM

My sister in law brought me a jar of jelly a couple years ago. It was excellent
Originally Posted by WTT03
I really like them. I mostly eat them raw but have made jelly that's really good and I currently have a "test" gallon of prickly pear wine bulk aging (haven't tasted it yet so can't comment if it's any good...fingers crossed!). I wish I lived in an area where they grew but I'm still able to find them at some local markets that have been shipped in. I guess the biggest plus for buying at market is that they're already de-spined. Making syrup sounds good too, may have to try that!

I hope you keep us updated on your wine.
Posted By: WTT03

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
My sister in law brought me a jar of jelly a couple years ago. It was excellent
Originally Posted by WTT03

I hope you keep us updated on your wine.

I'll try and remember to! It's cleared perfectly and has beautiful color. I've read over and over that it's not really drinkable for a year, sometimes two. So reading that, I've been afraid to taste it and being disappointed with it so young (started the end of Jan this year). Time will tell.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 10:31 AM

I make and sell jelly from the fruits every year. Always a big seller. I have also "heard" that the fruits can be fermented and distilled also, aka cactus liquor.... grin
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 12:07 PM

Never have had anything made from them.

I did step on one once and that little fruit has very little meat but a ton of seeds. Must take a bunch to get enough juice to work with
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Prickly Pair Fruit - 08/13/22 01:13 PM

I've tried to get the wife to make jelly from them but she refuses.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums