Home

What to do with carcasses?

Posted By: Del Gue

What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 04:26 AM

Hi all, I’m trying to figure out how to make trapping work from my one bedroom apartment, I’ll be setting up a skinning hoist in my 6x6ft front yard, but have no idea what to do with carcasses! (Aside from beaver if I get lucky enough to get on them here in Ohio, I’d love to eat one.) what do you all do with yours?
Any input is appreciated and as always, God bless!
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 04:54 AM

Personally - I haul them back to the hole that I dig with the tractor loader on my 20+ acres (55gal barrel at a time)--- in your case I would probably haul the carcasses back out to where I caught them and distribute them along the line -- a distance away from the traps you have set -- the buzzards and white tailed buzzards (eagles ) need to eat too. I have never tried Beaver but nutria is edible (can't get my family to even try it). If you are getting a decent number of beaver make a "skinning trough" --- I haven't tried it -- but don't bother trying to eating Coyote (from what I have heard) . How are you drying and fleshing your furs?
Posted By: Drifter

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 05:04 AM

Skinning in your front yard in town you better expect several visits from the local law.City folks will think you are skinning dogs and call the law on you.

If trapping private land one can usually find a ditch to dispose of them. Ask the land owner.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Drifter
Skinning in your front yard in town you better expect several visits from the local law.City folks will think you are skinning dogs and call the law on you.

If trapping private land one can usually find a ditch to dispose of them. Ask the land owner.

x2
Posted By: corky

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 11:27 AM

What animals are you trapping? You may be better off selling unskinned until you find a larger place with more privacy. Maybe partner with someone that has facilities?
Posted By: David Morse

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 11:30 AM

Skinning in the front yard ? will it make the citiots move back home
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 11:37 AM

Got a mink ranch nearby? They always have dumpsters for the rendering plants.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 12:10 PM

I skinned fur in the shower when I was in college. Triple bagged and into the dumpster.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 12:13 PM

Might want to find a trapper close and make friends so you can use their fur shed
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 12:19 PM

What I like is the fact that you're figuring out how to make it all work instead of just saying it can't be done because you live in an apartment in town.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 12:31 PM

are you singal? , if you are you might want to skin inside some how , like mike said , if theres a will you will find a way
Posted By: lobo

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 12:46 PM

If I was in your shoes I'd skin them while out on the line. Easy carcass removal and no nosey neighbors.

It will take longer to run your line but when you're done you won't have deal with animals when you get home.

A 18 inch piece of chain with 2 sharpened s-hooks attached can be tossed over a limb and make a decent gambrel.
I've skinned countless beaver on the tailgate of my pickup.
Posted By: Guss

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 01:00 PM

I throw em in the weeds.
Posted By: .204

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by lobo
If I was in your shoes I'd skin them while out on the line. Easy carcass removal and no nosey neighbors.

It will take longer to run your line but when you're done you won't have deal with animals when you get home.

A 18 inch piece of chain with 2 sharpened s-hooks attached can be tossed over a limb and make a decent gambrel.
I've skinned countless beaver on the tailgate of my pickup.

THIS!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 02:47 PM

Many farms around here have dead piles. Ask the farmer if they mind if you contribute to the pile.
Posted By: Miley

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 04:22 PM

Suburban trapper here, usually total 50 to 75 coon a season ! Carcasses go in contractor garbage bags from Home Depot and out with the trash on trash day.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 06:43 PM

Yes. & the carcasses make great draw stations to your sets if strategically placed
Posted By: Catch22

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 07:33 PM

If it were me, I'd eat as many as you can and I'd skin with a trailer mount skinner on the line. I wouldn't care about what the neighbors think, although you will get a bunch of visits form LE. I'd care about your landlord, you could get the boot and have to move if ya skin in the front yard. Times have changed for sure.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 08:21 PM

better set up a tent type skinning area so no one can see you doing it... or do it in the field and flesh at the apartment... You dont need unwanted visitors.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
If it were me, I'd eat as many as you can and I'd skin with a trailer mount skinner on the line. I wouldn't care about what the neighbors think, although you will get a bunch of visits form LE. I'd care about your landlord, you could get the boot and have to move if ya skin in the front yard. Times have changed for sure.

For sure!
Posted By: Bob

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/26/22 09:30 PM

I don’t know your apartment setup, but I’d do it inside if at all possible. Depending on your apartment manager too many complaints from your neighbors could get you the boot. When I lived in an apartment mine had a basement, that’s where I did my skinning. Or, sounds weird but the bathtub is not a bad option. Easy cleanup. Just don’t wash too much fur down the drain lol
Posted By: mike mason

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/27/22 08:50 AM

Funny story, a classmate hit a deer and we were cutting it up on a table in the back yard. A nosey rosie called the cops and said we were dismembering a person. The cop walks up and said, "Oh that's a deer". We said yes and then he relayed the story. We all had a laugh.

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/27/22 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
are you singal? , if you are you might want to skin inside some how , like mike said , if theres a will you will find a way

No I am not, the live in girlfriend would NOT be amused… cry

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/27/22 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
I don’t know your apartment setup, but I’d do it inside if at all possible. Depending on your apartment manager too many complaints from your neighbors could get you the boot. When I lived in an apartment mine had a basement, that’s where I did my skinning. Or, sounds weird but the bathtub is not a bad option. Easy cleanup. Just don’t wash too much fur down the drain lol

I am lucky enough to be in a hidden little area, between buildings, and with neighbors that are all very kind, and elderly, some of whom I regularly share game meats with… I gather crowds when I fire up my grill on occasion. I skin game on my porch and wave to them as they pass, and show their grandkids what I’m doing, and, the how and why of my doing it. No problems from neighbors or citiots, the manager is a friend as well and actually asked if I could use live traps or dp’s to catch the local dumpster bandits!

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/27/22 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by corky
What animals are you trapping? You may be better off selling unskinned until you find a larger place with more privacy. Maybe partner with someone that has facilities?

Everything legal in Ohio from weasels and skrats to coons and coyote is my current objective… I was planning on building a very small shed. I feel I should for clarity mention that 6x6 was an oddly specific over exaggeration. My yard is 10x7 with a 8x5 concrete porch… I have enough room for SOME activities cool
Posted By: cathryn

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/28/22 01:10 PM

The beaver carcasses are fes to our dogs and a couple of our neighbors dogs.

We can feed 8 at a time and our one neighbor gets been 8 and 12 at a time depending if he has puppy.

All.other we take.to his farm.and feed tk.rhw buzzards
Posted By: run

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/28/22 01:16 PM

You can make bait from the carcasses. I didn't read the other responses yet.
Posted By: run

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/28/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Del Gue
Originally Posted by Bob

I am lucky enough to be in a hidden little area, between buildings, and with neighbors that are all very kind, and elderly, some of whom I regularly share game meats with… I gather crowds when I fire up my grill on occasion. I skin game on my porch and wave to them as they pass, and show their grandkids what I’m doing, and, the how and why of my doing it. No problems from neighbors or citiots, the manager is a friend as well and actually asked if I could use live traps or dp’s to catch the local dumpster bandits!

It sounds like a great neighborhood.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: What to do with carcasses? - 06/28/22 03:37 PM

When I had my outside wood boiler I cremated any carcasses I had. Coon carcasses usually had so much fat it was like throwing fuel on the fire.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums