Home

Eggs..buried for tomatoes?

Posted By: cathryn

Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 12:30 PM

Have any ofya ever fertilized your tomatoes by burying an egg at the base of each o e?

I saw it on tv..they said the calcium is supposed to leach out and deter blossom end rot.

I have alot of eggs so thought I'd try it.

Was just wondering if any of you had ever tried it and did it seem to.work?

Supposedly the rotting yolk and all acts as a fertilizer.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 12:33 PM

I've used crushed egg shells, crushed tums, or bone meal in the hole for my tomatoes and peppers. Never a whole egg
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 12:39 PM

Wife tried it, shells from fresh eggs she fried; skunks etc dug up every one.

So, she started using just shells from hard boiled eggs, works fine, no more digging
Posted By: WV222

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 01:00 PM

I use trout heads when I plant mine
Did a comparison last year , planted 6 with heads beside 6 without, ones with heads was bigger and produced more
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 01:07 PM

If I get time this week I'll try it
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 01:35 PM

Methinks there is a joke here.........like eggplant ? grin

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 01:42 PM

Lol. No eggplants here.

I have wondered about fish also wv222. Thank you for that info.

My garden is completely fenced .with welded wire fence..so skunks shouldn't be a problem.

Im.gonna give it a try I think because I have had problems with blossum.end. rot.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 01:59 PM

I buried fish heads - once. The beagle dug them up when they were nice and ripe. Even though the dog did it, it was still my fault!
Posted By: WhiteCliffs

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 02:00 PM

I have planted my tomatoes over fish heads. Every one got dug up by some kind of critter. I caught coons, possums, skunks, and gray fox in my garden. If a tomato starts producing, then the squirrels move in. Might not get tomatoes, but we do have squirrel and dumplings.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 02:02 PM

As a joke I dug up 1 of my mother in laws freshly planted tomato plants. I put a fish in the hole and refilled . That plant grew way bigger than the others.
I'll try the egg shells
just
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 03:20 PM

It sounds a little risky. You may end up growing chickens, which will probably eat any viable tomatoes.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 03:26 PM

My FIL did. He only used hard boiled egg shells though. Said the fresh eggs drew in to many critters. He also used fish heads if he had them.

I tried TUMS with calcium a couple times. Crushed them up in a blender, worked ok. Putting 1 or 2 in the hole whole seemed to do better than crushed.

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 03:27 PM

Lord don't say that. The last thing I needs more chickens.
Posted By: Tinknocker1`

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 03:41 PM

Crushed egg shells you hillbilly grin
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 04:07 PM

A friend of mine, Dwight, puts crushed egg shell, a banana peal, an aspirin and coffee grounds in with his tomato plants. It seems to help. He gets huge tomato plants with a high yield.

Keith

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tinknocker1`
Crushed egg shells you hillbilly grin

whistle I am a hillbilly and pretty happy about it too.lol

I've heard of shells but supposedly a whole gg is better cause thw yolk an stuff rots and feeds the plant.

I better Plat em.pretty deep or the stink from close to 100 tomato.plants might make a person keel over. grin

Jerrys a wuss..he said I could handle the egg plantin.lol
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 04:13 PM

We used a whole egg under our mater plants this year. Cracked the egg first. So far, the mater plants are looking good. No skunks here to dig them up.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by pintail_drake04
I've used crushed egg shells, in the hole for my tomatoes and peppers. Never a whole egg

This is what I do when I plant. Or fertilizer with calcium in it.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 11:11 PM

My wife uses egg shells. Every egg we use for months - she saves the shells, washes them, crushes them and then puts them in the bottom of the hole when planting. She swears by it.
Posted By: PSB1011

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
Lol. No eggplants here.

My garden is completely fenced .with welded wire fence..so skunks shouldn't be a problem.

Im.gonna give it a try I think because I have had problems with blossum.end. rot.

your problem is a calcium deficiency in the soil.Very easy to fix, put Lime on the soil where your tomatoes are to go.If you want to use eggs, go for it.Lime is cheap, and easy.
Ive had this problem.
Not any more!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 11:38 PM

I put a couple Antacid Tablets (Calcium Carbonate) under each plant.Never get Blossom End Rot.

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by PSB1011
Originally Posted by cathryn
Lol. No eggplants here.

your problem is a calcium deficiency in the soil.Very easy to fix, put Lime on the soil where your tomatoes are to go.If you want to use eggs, go for it.Lime is cheap, and easy.
Ive had this problem.
Not any more!

I realize lime is cheap buy eggs are free for me. That's why I thought I'd try it.

Thanks for the advice
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 11:58 PM

Your soil probably has enough calcium, most likely a sulphur problem. Was never a problem here until they shut down the coal fired plants. Gypsum is very effective for me. Mike

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/04/22 11:58 PM

What is gympsum?
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 12:08 AM

It is a white soft rock mined and used to mainly make sheetrock.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 12:40 AM

Seems to me like it would take too long for eggshells to breakdown in time to feed the tomatoes?
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 01:17 AM

Would a little oyster shell work?
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 01:28 AM

I just planted tomatoes and under every one was a good helping of crushed up egg shell. Learned about that from my neighbor years ago.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
A friend of mine, Dwight, puts crushed egg shell, a banana peal, an aspirin and coffee grounds in with his tomato plants. It seems to help. He gets huge tomato plants with a high yield.

Keith

If I use 2 aspirin will eating a tomato cure my headache ?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 02:12 AM

I have heard of it but never done it

when I read about it it was crack the egg , toss the shell in the hole also and plant right on top of it

the egg gives it a moisture, nutrient and moisture holding potential as I understand it

Posted By: trapNH

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 09:33 AM

I havent tried the eggs but do use epsom salts and powdered milk for the tomatoes.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 11:31 AM

my dad was known for his tomato's, dad would have a local restaurant save there egg shells
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC

Keith

Get a headache and take one tomato! LOL
Posted By: Bob

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 05:09 PM

It adds a very small amount of calcium, and nothing more.not enough to do any real good if your soil is truly deficient
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 06:42 PM

I do it because there are a lot of good things in eggs that plants can use, however from what I've read the egg shell won't break down enough to help with this years tomatoes. I've added eggs for so many years that there should be plenty of calcium in the soil from years past.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 07:50 PM

The gypsum contains sulphur which allows the plant to use the calcium in the soil. Doesn't matter how much calcium is in the soil if you can't use it. Sheet rock is one source. In the USDA and university trials I have been involved with we used ash from coal plants and mined gypsum. We also used fertilizer with sulphur added, always made a healthier looking corn or bean plant. Soil has become low in sulphur with the closing of all our coal fired plants. Mike

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 08:04 PM

Thanks Mike

I'll find out if eggs effect thw growth of my tomatoes and help qith ending blossom end Roy.

We have a total of 92 tomato plants. I put and egg beside 55 this morning..I dug a whole beside them.

Then we went to my mamaws place so Jerry could cut some tomato stakes. 8 ft all

Tomorrow r have to get more stakes and I have to plant more eggs.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 09:37 PM

Ag lime works best. Fish parts work great. egg shells also work. Even milk works real well.

Basically anything with calcium works to stop the rot.

Best maters I ever grew was in TN. Put about 500 lbs of fresh carp on the garden area and disked then tilled it all in. Had maters the size of softballs and real meaty. I was worried about the smell but it never really smelled like fish at all.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
Ag lime works best. Fish parts work great. egg shells also work. Even milk works real well.

Basically anything with calcium works to stop the rot.

Best maters I ever grew was in TN. Put about 500 lbs of fresh carp on the garden area and disked then tilled it all in. Had maters the size of softballs and real meaty. I was worried about the smell but it never really smelled like fish at all.

Ive got a lot of raccoons and beaver buried in my beds.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 09:52 PM

We used to mix hay chaff with chicken manure and put in the bottom of the holes with the tomato plants that my Mom had started.
If they got too much manure it would burn the plants, but somehow that rarely happened. Sure did grow good maters.
Posted By: K9Wolfer

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/05/22 11:59 PM

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/fertilizing-with-raw-eggs.htm

Here ya go young lady
Posted By: run

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/06/22 12:29 AM

Magnesium is another mineral that is easy to overlook too. I'm not trying to argue with anyone, just adding my 2 cents.

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/06/22 12:37 AM

Thanks k9wolfer. Very informative link
.many hanks to everyone
Posted By: K9Wolfer

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/06/22 04:00 PM

wink
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Eggs..buried for tomatoes? - 06/06/22 04:10 PM

I put 2 eggshells in each tomato plant hole. Stops the blossom end rot.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums