Home

Shot prices, when you can find it.

Posted By: Finster

Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 11:30 AM

Bought 100 pounds of 7.5 shot yesterday. $54 a bag and only a couple places had it. That was the cheapest. Good grief, I remember when shot was $10 a bag.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 11:44 AM

look at the price of lead. nobody in the u.s. refining it now due to epa
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 11:46 AM

Don't know much about shot gun reloading but maybe one of these would be a good investment? Especially if you can get lead cheap
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 11:49 AM

Wolf dog the pellets are not round. you can make your own shot dripper pretty easy. plenty of you tube videos. to get nice round pellets you have to have a shot tower.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 12:28 PM

Maybe guy needs make deal with trap range. Set up small wash plant recover shot like they do gold. Bet DNR be on you pretty quick. Make one the rocker tables sort out round pellets from deformed. Sell damage pellets for scrap reuse good ones. I know they do big recovery on some ranges. Don't think they try reuse anything just recover the lead for scrap.
I scrapped 3300 lbs lead sheeting this winter haven't checked to see what price it would scrap at now.

Mac
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 01:50 PM

Does shot still come in 25lb bags?

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 02:24 PM

sometimes

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by claycreech
Does shot still come in 25lb bags?

Yup

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
Maybe guy needs make deal with trap range. Set up small wash plant recover shot like they do gold. Bet DNR be on you pretty quick. Make one the rocker tables sort out round pellets from deformed. Sell damage pellets for scrap reuse good ones. I know they do big recovery on some ranges. Don't think they try reuse anything just recover the lead for scrap.
I scrapped 3300 lbs lead sheeting this winter haven't checked to see what price it would scrap at now.

Mac

A lot of people do that. You can find people selling reclaimed shot. However, it goes very quickly. This time of year, it's almost impossible.

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Don't know much about shot gun reloading but maybe one of these would be a good investment? Especially if you can get lead cheap
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thought about doing that but I don't have a lead source. I could drop it from the barn roof. Not a shot tower but it would be a good 25 feet or so. Better than nothing.

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
look at the price of lead. nobody in the u.s. refining it now due to epa

Yup, another legacy from the president we had awhile back. You know, the guy who was born in Kenya.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
Bought 100 pounds of 7.5 shot yesterday. $54 a bag and only a couple places had it. That was the cheapest. Good grief, I remember when shot was $10 a bag.

From what I gather from the high volume shotgun guys, in today's market, that is a really good price. Local gun shop had one 25 pound bag of Lawrence magnum 7.5 a few weeks back, and that was priced at $80. Was in Graf's in Mexico a month or so back and they only had one 25 pound bag of Lawrence magnum 7.5's.....around $55. A week later, it was gone and they had none to replace it.

Even so, if you can find primers, powder and shot, even at all these historically high prices, still as cheap or cheaper than even the promo ammo. Full Circle Reloading in St. Charles told me that every guy with a shotshell reloader has pulled it out of storage and are looking for components. First time for that in years.

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 02:39 PM

25 feet would probably work. especially on cold winter days.

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 02:40 PM

i never tried it with shot but wheel weight lead, as is, is plenty hard. makes great pistol bullets. if you can drop it i bet would be a real nice hard shot too

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
i never tried it with shot but wheel weight lead, as is, is plenty hard. makes great pistol bullets. if you can drop it i bet would be a real nice hard shot too

Trouble is that
1. That secret is out, and they are hard to come by anymore
2. I don't believe they even use lead in wheel weights anymore. I believe they now use other metals.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 04:02 PM

Some wheel weights are lead still. I find them daily at work on the side of the interstate. I use more fishing weights than shotgun shells though so that’s what I use them for. On a good day I find a couple pounds, so maybe you ought to start going for walks on the highway and look for some.

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 04:34 PM

There are still some lead wheel weights out there to be had. Not sure their making any of the new ones from lead. One of my son's friends works in heavy truck shop. Couple years back already, he brought me two 5 gallon bucket about half full each of wheel weights. Once I started melting them I found almost half them were not lead. They actually float on top hot lead. So I took them to scrap yard no point keeping them. When I told the guy at scale I knew they weren't lead. He said well Im not sure we even want them. Took one ran to the office to have boss look at it. When he came back he said they would buy them. They were some kind of zinc alloy and boss told him they went in with breaker aluminum. So that was breakage aluminum the price I got scrap and the pile I dumped them in. I've taken one other batch there since and that was the scrap they went with.

Mac

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
Some wheel weights are lead still. I find them daily at work on the side of the interstate. I use more fishing weights than shotgun shells though so that’s what I use them for. On a good day I find a couple pounds, so maybe you ought to start going for walks on the highway and look for some.

Sure if you walk the highways, you'll find them. They used lead weights for about 70 years. Point is, who has the time for that. Not to mention that the average guy can't just walk down the interstate.

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 07:45 PM

I got two five gallon buckets of wheel weights about 20 years ago. Still have one left. Got about 30 pounds in the old stainless cooking pot I melt it in. I skim the steel clips off then stir it skimming crud off the top. I have about 30 pounds total of plumbers lead. That stuff is hard to find. Made a friend of my wife's some split shot with some of it the other day.

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 07:54 PM

I also find a lot of lead while panning for gold in creeks around here. Way more lead than gold lol. Sinkers, lead shot, bullets, all over the place. I really should start keeping it and see how much I actually come up with.
Posted By: jonesy

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 09:25 PM

wheel weights is the way to go already has antimony in them

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
I also find a lot of lead while panning for gold in creeks around here. Way more lead than gold lol. Sinkers, lead shot, bullets, all over the place. I really should start keeping it and see how much I actually come up with.

I don't even know how much lead I got squirreled away right now. I still pick up every wheel weight I see. When I'm metal detecting in river I save every sinker or jig head I find. If I was planning for gold and found sinker or shot. I'd save it all and throw it in my melting pot. I see picking that odd metal scrap same as picking up pennies on street.
I don't walk past them either.

Mac
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 04/30/22 11:48 PM

I have a big sifter made from lathing mesh. I go my local range in early mornings and sift range lead. Our berms are sand, I just shovel and sift then reshape berm like I was never there. I get 10 to 15 # every time. I do this about 4 times a summer.

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 05/01/22 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
I have a big sifter made from lathing mesh. I go my local range in early mornings and sift range lead. Our berms are sand, I just shovel and sift then reshape berm like I was never there. I get 10 to 15 # every time. I do this about 4 times a summer.

Good idea, I might try it
Posted By: mutt

Re: Shot prices, when you can find it. - 05/01/22 01:12 AM

I saved this marketplace listing the other day. Not that its cheep 50$ for 25# but if you need to stock up looks like he could get you some.

marketplace
© 2024 Trapperman Forums