Home

Any serious Carp guys on here

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/14/22 11:37 PM

Anyone here kinda serious about carp fishing ? If so any suggestions on somewhere a guy could go. To get used carp gear ? Looking to try and get a used rod pods some banks sticks and mabye so other stuff.
Thanks
Posted By: DaveP

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 12:00 AM

I caught plenty in the late '60 and '70s with Jolly Green Giant whole kernal corn on a plain old hook and a big nut for a sinker.
Sears fiberglass rod and reel.

Sometimes, Id get fancy and drive a 16D nail into acan ofcorn a half dozen times and toss it in a hole then fish it.
Chum.

Ignored carp until 3 years ago.
Got back into.it.
Haven't gotten TOO fancy, but did go to this rig.

[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071KL7KN5/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=&psc=1

I cut off all but 2 hooks.

Single piece of corn on each hook, then ball.of bait/Chum packed on spring.

I use sweet corn + juice, Panko crumbs, and strawberry Jello mix.

I fish tidal water, so need to reboot often, but it WORKS.
Then again, I catch alot on nightcrawlers on a plain hook, esp.after a heavy rain.

Check out Catfish and Carp on YouTube, he's s GOOD.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 12:47 AM

We used to carp fish the river near town. Best time was after a rain at any tributary entering the river. The flooding trib's would draw numbers of carp looking for washed in food
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 12:53 AM

Carp kit international has some good prices sometimes
Amazon also has some hidden gems
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 01:11 AM

If legal,,chum with a can of corn,,,then use corn on your hook. smile
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 01:34 AM

My wife caught about 300 last year regular hook and line.

[Linked Image]

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by DaveP
I caught plenty in the late '60 and '70s with Jolly Green Giant whole kernal corn on a plain old hook and a big nut for a sinker.
Sears fiberglass rod and reel.

Sometimes, Id get fancy and drive a 16D nail into acan ofcorn a half dozen times and toss it in a hole then fish it.
Chum.

Ignored carp until 3 years ago.
Got back into.it.
Haven't gotten TOO fancy, but did go to this rig.

[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071KL7KN5/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=&psc=1

I cut off all but 2 hooks.

Single piece of corn on each hook, then ball.of bait/Chum packed on spring.

I use sweet corn + juice, Panko crumbs, and strawberry Jello mix.

I fish tidal water, so need to reboot often, but it WORKS.
Then again, I catch alot on nightcrawlers on a plain hook, esp.after a heavy rain.

Check out Catfish and Carp on YouTube, he's s GOOD.

[Linked Image]

Love me some panko pack bait
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hippie

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 03:02 AM

Corn is the go to around here too. Chum pretty hard first.

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 03:03 AM

Gobbaworms!
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 03:58 AM

What do y'all do with carp? My dad caught a good sized one bream fishing many years ago. I remember mom making fish cakes out it. I thought they were pretty disgusting.
Posted By: yellowdog

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Anyone here kinda serious about carp fishing ? If so any suggestions on somewhere a guy could go. To get used carp gear ? Looking to try and get a used rod pods some banks sticks and mabye so other stuff.
Thanks

spend some time looking on the carp fishing forums.when i was first interested in it there were lots of ideas for homemade rod pods and bank sticks. if i remember right some of the alarms, bank sticks etc had some screwed up European thread size.The way i have been watching you make stuff the last couple years.You can make a rod pod or bank stick.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 11:21 AM

ground carp with anise oil makes great coon bait. But so does jack mackeral.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 11:51 AM

I never did it but dad talked about fishing for them when he was younger with wheaties and big red

Law Dog some of those look like the bait we bought to put on lines (smaller of course) for catfish. Think the bait guy called them Isreali carp. They could survive all weekend on a hook
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 12:21 PM

Way back when I was a young pup my uncle would take me fishing with him. Carp was the main fish we would go for. 40% bran flakes was the best bait around. Take a double handful and dunk em in the wter for a half a minute or so. Pull out of the water and start squeezing the water out. It will work into a sticky over size dough ball. Pinch off a chunk and form onto your hook.

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 01:00 PM

Thanks
Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
What do y'all do with carp? My dad caught a good sized one bream fishing many years ago. I remember mom making fish cakes out it. I thought they were pretty disgusting.

Wife feeds her outside cats the carp and I get the overflow on her better days once I get several feed sacks full I fire up the meat saw and fill a half size freezer for my cage trapping the next year. Did have a guy on here pick up a pickup truckload last year but I still had enough for my own use. Most here are 2-4 pounds because we had a freeze out several years back now the lake is deep enough that’s not a issue for them.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 01:53 PM

First time I heard of this was in an In-Fisherman article on carp, but the rig used included a snelled hook, with 2" to 3" dropper line. The dropper had a small loop / stop on it. Bait went on the dropper line......hook was bare. Looked something like the hook and spring rig in this thread. Bait I used was regular field corn.....soaked in water to make it a bit sour.......and perhaps with a flavor......vanilla.....anise......or a sweet flavor like strawberry jello. But base was plain old field corn. Thread a couple pieces of corn onto the dropper line.

Carp sucks up the bait, then swallows it to a sack or some such think in back of their throat used to crush it. That leaves the bare hook just inside the lips in a perfect place to get a lip set. Otherwise, hook goes deep into that sack......and any carp you catch will have blood oozing out the throat area.....and if you want to release it, you have to cut the line and leave the hook in.

And I never understood why, but once I caught a couple.......the bite stopped.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 02:27 PM

They're tons of fun to spear from a kayak.

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/qWRjVz94Xks?feature=share[/video]
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 02:51 PM

No need to overthink it.
I spent many a day catching Carp. They are not hard to catch once you locate them.

Kind of gear depends upon size of Carp you'll be catching.
Most of the ones we caught were in the 3-5 pound range and occasionally a 10-15 pounder was caught.

We used a low to mid level spinning rod and reel loaded with 10lb mono.
A #6-8 eagle claw snelled hook. Sinkers required if fishing in a little faster moving water.
For bait we used dough balls. Flour and a little corn meal mixed up with some water. Toss it in a small plastic bag and you'd be good to go.

One rod is all we used. Find a stick with a crotch in it to hold the rod up so you can watch the belly in the line and your good to go.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 02:56 PM

What do y'all do with carp?

Once I bought some home and my Mom burried them in her flower garden.
She did tell me "thanks, but that bunch you gave me was enough for a long while so don't bring any more home."

Usually we would kill them and toss them back in the river. Some people would leave them on the banks to rot. That was bad due to the smell and the flies and maggots.
I did run into a guy who kept them and ate them. He told me "Mmmmm, them Carps is Gooood."

No thanks for me.
Posted By: mudtracker

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 03:48 PM

Smaller carp from clean cool water are very good smoked on the grill
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 04:14 PM

You guys never heard of fried carp or buffalo? Been a staple of Midwest fish frys for generations.

Gut em.....scale em.......score em.......chunk em........coat with yellow mustard, then dredge in corn meal mix.......let that rest to set, then into the deep fryer until golden brown. Serve with hush puppies, slaw and tater salad. Beer out of a keg into a paper cup. Lets eat.

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 09:11 PM

Catch and release for me mostly

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/15/22 09:50 PM

I had a funnel trap at the bottom of a road culvert years ago I pulled it up and it was loaded with small carp fingerlings.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/16/22 06:47 AM

Now that I think about it, I did catch a carp once. It was in a 330. grin
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/16/22 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

Catch and release for me mostly

Not completely sure of this, but in some places I think its illegal to release them.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/16/22 11:28 AM

The Germans around here put them in the water ways as a source of food back in the day.

Seems they're still pretty popular in Europe. I wonder how they prep them.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/16/22 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mudtracker
Smaller carp from clean cool water are very good smoked on the grill

Yes they are
Posted By: warrior

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/16/22 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
The Germans around here put them in the water ways as a source of food back in the day.

Seems they're still pretty popular in Europe. I wonder how they prep them.

Very popular in Germany.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/16/22 12:32 PM

The only carp I ever caught was on trotlines baited with catalpa worms. Everything that swims likes catalpa worms. The carp made good bait as well. Take them off the line fillet and chunk and put it back on the line.

Curious if any of you longliners or bait makers have a way of putting them up or preserving for use on the trapline? I see these guys that go after them with bow and arrow on the spawn hauling in truckloads of them.

Short of a big freezer I have no idea. Can they be rotted down for fish oil? Just seems like a good source of raw material.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Any serious Carp guys on here - 04/16/22 01:31 PM

The only ones I have "caught" have been with an arrow. I have smoked a couple of small ones in the smoker, but they were too oily and muddy tasting for me. The ones I have given away have received similar responses from the recipients. This is the biggest I have ever got at 40.5 pounds.
I would love to get them on hook and line like you but with all the vegetation and deep mud it is difficult to target them effectively. I accidently snagged a 16 pounder while casting for walleye and it was a hoot bringing it in.
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums