Home

Risk of rabies

Posted By: beaver trapper

Risk of rabies - 04/04/22 11:13 PM

Hello guys. Found a dead raccoon in the yard the other day. No idea how it died or when it died. Never thought anything of it and threw a pair of gloves on, used a snare to hook around one of its legs as a handle, and lugged it to the pickup and disposed of it. I never thought anything about the risk of rabies at the moment but now I’m questioning it. Would you guys consider that any risk of transmission if it was carrying rabies?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Risk of rabies - 04/04/22 11:15 PM

Only if you came in contact with bodily fluid, specifically saliva, brain or spinal fluid/tissue.

This time of the year, distemper is more likely.
Posted By: beaver trapper

Re: Risk of rabies - 04/04/22 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Only if you came in contact with bodily fluid, specifically saliva, brain or spinal fluid/tissue.

This time of the year, distemper is more likely.

There was no blood on the animal and the mouth was open so I’m guessing any fluids would have been dried. We have freeze/thaw temps this time of year during day and night so I don’t know how long the virus would last for.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Risk of rabies - 04/04/22 11:54 PM

You'll be fine.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Risk of rabies - 04/05/22 12:20 AM

Unless it was freshly dead and you broke your skin with its teeth I would not sweat it. Sunlight and dehydration kill the virus well, the brain and brain stem are the places to avoid and never shoot one in the head or neck nothing but a stinking mess if you do and your exposing the problem areas.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Risk of rabies - 04/05/22 12:24 AM

More likely died of distemper than rabies.
Every year I get calls or find animals with symptoms of distemper.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Risk of rabies - 04/05/22 12:44 AM

Nothing at all to worry about.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums