Home

Planning a Kansas trip

Posted By: WisTrapper

Planning a Kansas trip - 03/22/22 11:12 PM

I am in the early stages of planning my first out of state trapping trip. I am looking at 2 weeks in Northwest Kansas in December 2022. I plan on driving out there this summer to obtain some properties, and figure out lodging for my 2 weeks. I would like to hear any advice you have to offer.

Thank you
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/22/22 11:13 PM

Start on sale day in the coffee shop of a sale barn
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/22/22 11:15 PM

https://oakleylivestock.com/

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 01:33 PM

I pay $30 per year for the Wisconsin ONX Hunt premium membership. The Elite membership (nationwide) is $100 per year. Do you know if there's an option where I can pay for 2 "premium memberships" for $60 within the same account

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 01:33 PM

Thank you Danny for the tip!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 03:44 PM

Sure wish I could do an out of state trapping trip like that! Good luck on your adventure and be sure to take us along!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 03:53 PM

I remember Bob W. talking about trapping around feedlots as the coons eat out of the feed bunks and coyotes hang around too.
Posted By: trapperne

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 04:00 PM

Do you want to trap a lot of coyotes or better coyotes, do you want to trap cats and coon or no cats and coon? Do you want to bounce over endless miles of Sandhills or gravel roads and wheat fields?

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 05:27 PM

I really enjoyed Bob W's Videos

I would like to catch some nicer Western coyotes, but I am mainly looking for numbers. I definitely want to catch cats. I enjoy catching raccoons to fill in the gaps, but I am not going to go out of my way for coon, especially early in the trip.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 05:33 PM

Good luck.
I'm thinking 2 weeks Is not enough time.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Good luck.
I'm thinking 2 weeks Is not enough time.

Might take that long just to figure things out.

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 08:02 PM

I know 2 weeks isn't ideal, but until I hit the lottery, that's what I have. I get 5 weeks vacation per year, 3 weeks are for family, and 2 are gorgeous trapping..
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 08:19 PM

Last I knew, there was quite a bit of mange in the far NW corner. I picked up fur all through there, and it had been going on for quite a few years, they told me. Ask the right questions, the farmers know if there is a lot of mange or not. It wasn't as bad back east towards Norton. But the area around St Francis, it was pretty bad. I stopped at a couple places coming back from Co this last fall, and they welcomed me, but with prices the way they were, I didn't go out there. Lots of country, and very few trappers now, with coyotes in the tank!
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by WisTrapper
I pay $30 per year for the Wisconsin premium membership. The Elite membership (nationwide) is $100 per year. Do you know if there's an option where I can pay for 2 "premium memberships" for $60 within the same account

Memberships to what? Don't make any sense to me!

Re: Planning a Kansas trip - 03/25/22 10:28 PM

Sorry Lee, I left out critical information... premium ONX hunt
© 2024 Trapperman Forums