Home

Gulo’s Knives -

Posted By: Aix sponsa

Gulo’s Knives - - 03/06/22 07:22 PM

I just received an unexpected gift from my friend Jack Whitman. Looking forward to putting it to use.

Thanks again buddy!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/06/22 07:24 PM

I like mine, you will be happy.

I got all three of them, hold a good edge to.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/06/22 07:27 PM

Nice looking knife

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/06/22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by beartooth trapr
I like mine, you will be happy.

I got all three of them, hold a good edge to.

I bought the beaver knife and pelter a couple years back. I really like the beaver knife. It’s small, lightweight, and I can get the thin blade really sharp. I am not sure where the other pelter ended up, I haven’t seen it in over a year, so this one was a welcomed surprise
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/06/22 09:48 PM

I got all three. Love them and dealing with Jack was a pleasure. Eric
Posted By: LDW

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/06/22 10:00 PM

I have 2 of his knives. Top notch!!
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/06/22 10:21 PM

Beautiful!
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/06/22 10:40 PM

There are very nice I have 4 of them.
Posted By: Mac McAtee

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/07/22 03:07 AM

Where does one go to find out about his knives? I'd like some more information.
Posted By: alann

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/07/22 03:22 AM

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...elters-and-skinners-updated-photo#UNREAD
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/07/22 04:05 PM

Many thanks Aix (and all others) with your kind remarks. I have a few knives in inventory and will be building again in the near future. It really bothers me, but just to stay even, I gotta raise prices on the knives to $35. I apologize (thanks Brandon). Let me know via PM if any of you are interested.

Jack

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/07/22 04:53 PM

Jack, I have 2 of your lovely skinners. My attempts at making a suitable sheath are laughable, but I'd really like to carry one on my belt hunting. Any thoughts?
Posted By: run

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/07/22 06:41 PM

At $35 that's an amazing bargain. I don't need knives but the price alone makes me say wow.

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/07/22 06:42 PM

30/06 - Todd, you still at 3150 CHSR?

Jack
Posted By: trapr

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/07/22 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by 30/06
Jack, I have 2 of your lovely skinners. My attempts at making a suitable sheath are laughable, but I'd really like to carry one on my belt hunting. Any thoughts?

Jack, it is to bad there is not a leather worker who lives near you in the middle of nowhere, wait a minute, maybe your retired neighbor could take up leathercraft.

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/07/22 11:20 PM

The knives are designed as shop knives, thus, no sheaths. With that said, I do keep a skinner handy on my belt. I have a buddy who is a saddlemaker and he has put together a few sheaths for me using my neighbor's (Randy Shuff) tanned beaver tails. They are perfect, I'm sure will outlast me, are beautiful to look at, but are expensive. Besides being a saddlemaker, he's also a full-time cowboy as well, and calving is currently fully underway. However, I'll talk to him about putting together a few sheaths. If interested, PM me for details.

[Linked Image]

Jack

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/07/22 11:34 PM

trapr -

HA! Yes sir! Yeah, here in the middle of nowhere it sure is nice to have a neighbor like Randy. His beavertail tanning is second-to-none, and, more important, he's simply a good guy!

Jack
Posted By: Hanger

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 12:29 AM

That’s a beautiful cross draw.

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo
The knives are designed as shop knives, thus, no sheaths. With that said, I do keep a skinner handy on my belt. I have a buddy who is a saddlemaker and he has put together a few sheaths for me using my neighbor's (Randy Shuff) tanned beaver tails. They are perfect, I'm sure will outlast me, are beautiful to look at, but are expensive. Besides being a saddlemaker, he's also a full-time cowboy as well, and calving is currently fully underway. However, I'll talk to him about putting together a few sheaths. If interested, PM me for details.

[Linked Image]

Jack

That’s probably the nicest looking knife holster I’ve ever seen. Beaver leather looks great. My wallet came from Mr Shuff, and it’s as durable and nice looking as it gets. He knows what he’s doing
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 12:42 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bought 2 at a benefit auction, and got beaver skinner from beaver tail Randy last summer..

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by run
At $35 that's an amazing bargain. I don't need knives but the price alone makes me say wow.

I know, right? That’s almost giving them away!
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 01:17 AM

PMed you Jack
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 01:47 AM

[Linked Image]

I couldn’t pass these up either ! Nice tools right there ..
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 02:00 AM

i also have the Gulo set. Jack made the scales from some black walnut I sent him that I had milled twenty years prior.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eedup

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 02:05 AM

Pm sent

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gulo

[Linked Image]

What kind of wood is the handle made from on the knives on the ends? Really, really like the looks of those. Gives the knife great character.

Cool picture too. My dad had one or two mounted chukars in his shop when I was a kid, but I don’t think I’ve seen one alive. Probably be great in a gumbo or sauce too
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 03:21 AM

Jack's knives are superlative works of art . Usable art in the finest degree.

Not only are they great for skinning, pelting, etc., I have found them perfect for scrimshawing through my pencil layers in art , down to the white paper base for white whiskers , and other lighter toned fur details. Who knew ?? wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 02:12 PM

Aix - In that photo with the chukar, both outer knives have scales of western juniper. The middle is American black walnut. On the juniper, the pink/purple heartwood is rather typical for this country. The wood with the dark and light wood is juniper from a single location I found a couple years ago. Try as I might, I can't find any more with that "swirlcake" coloration. I'm assuming it has something to do with the minerals in the soil? Sure wish I could find more of it.

Sharon - Sure glad you are getting good use out of that knife!

Jack
Posted By: run

Re: Gulo’s Knives - - 03/08/22 03:16 PM

I prefer black walnut simply because of it's beauty. I'm not knocking the other wood just stating my 2 cent opinion.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums