Home

Ever take your dog coyote trapping?

Posted By: jooleyen

Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/20/22 06:15 PM

I want to take my dog coyote trapping next year. I’m wondering how I might be able to use him to my advantage with yotes and what I should look for. Will he be taking the trails the yotes do and therefore I should set up where he walks? Might he sniff or mark the same spots they do? This will be mostly cable restraints so blind trail sets. Will his scent make the yotes more leery?
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/21/22 07:04 PM

I wouldn't want to trap without one, coyote are territorial, some will loose caution checking out who was there[Linked Image]

She's just standing there barking, coyote is just laying low
Posted By: jooleyen

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 05:47 PM

Love it. looks like a golden? Mine too!
Posted By: charles

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 05:58 PM

Never trapped coyotes back when I was trapping, but I learned a lot about fox and raccoon by watching where my dog wandered, and what aroused her nose. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. If nothing else, she slowed me down and opened my eyes to trails I was missing.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 06:11 PM

I don't leave home without him. Always a good companion and rarely argues with me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 06:40 PM

They sure are good at showing you natural pee posts.

And as careful as you think you are, plan on them stepping in a freshly made set. I caught mine twice....and I don't trap coyotes much. 650 cast = 2...Boston Terrier = 0 (zero physical damage).
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 06:52 PM

Use my mountain cur for scouting to find pee and occasional droppings I may miss off the side of the roads. Like others say, also good companion.
Posted By: Billy303

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 06:55 PM

11 Years running...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 09:28 PM

Every day. She shows me stuff I would otherwise miss. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 09:55 PM

Oh boy if we keep posting pictures of dogs "tormenting a trapped coyote" we are going to have a bunch of guys on here jumping up and down that we are just as bad as the anti's say we are! 👀🙄🙄 Beautiful cur dog la4wd54
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin
They sure are good at showing you natural pee posts.

And as careful as you think you are, plan on them stepping in a freshly made set. I caught mine twice....and I don't trap coyotes much. 650 cast = 2...Boston Terrier = 0 (zero physical damage).

That happened to Loki the first year out, brand new MB 650. Like you said,, no damage but now he's awful careful now when I'm making sets. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 10:34 PM

Here’s ol Sue on the spring beaver line last year. I don’t think he’ll be able to make it this year. He turned 13 and in and out of the boat is getting to be a bit much for him. I think he liked beaver trapping as much as pheasant hunting! Lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 10:40 PM

Oops, missed the “coyote” part. Lol
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Davisfur
Oh boy if we keep posting pictures of dogs "tormenting a trapped coyote" we are going to have a bunch of guys on here jumping up and down that we are just as bad as the anti's say we are! 👀🙄🙄 Beautiful cur dog la4wd54

I'm thinking that bracelet on the yote is way more of a bother than my dog barking at it. To each his own I guess, I enjoy having her there helping.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/22/22 11:27 PM

Yup I love taking my hound on my line. It is strange when I don't take her.
Not only does she help find spots but she also loves a big mean cat or fox. It can be challenging to get her off the animal at times. One time she started trailing hard we came around a huge boulder and there laid a bobcat kitten that had a "run-in" with alpha male.

Since you will be running CR's I would recommend keeping it long leashed or absolutely near you at all times.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/23/22 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by jooleyen
Love it. looks like a golden? Mine too!

She's a dorn dog, she has hair of an airdale, my first one had hair like a border collie
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Ever take your dog coyote trapping? - 02/23/22 03:58 AM

Took my beagle on the line she just ignored the fox like it was not there it was funny.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums