Home

Butchered a beef

Posted By: Hydropillar

Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 03:50 AM

[Linked Image]

My friend who owns the sale barn called and said they had a cow that went down on the semi on her way to market... she was nice animal.. fed hard ...white fat... id guess her to be 6 or seven.....solid mouth last tooth wore about 1/4 in shorter than rest ...... she had lots of fat inside and brisket but not much cover on her loins.... thinkin keep the backstraps and the rest burger she weighed 1540 got her skinned gutted and split... hangin in the shed... ill pay him something to keep him happy.....cant beat a deal like that .especially with the price of beef.. must have broke her back will split the burger with kids and friends... as its just me n the wife now. took me about hr n half......on a saturday evening if i wouldnt have done it she woulda went to the rendering truck... i skinned her in the shed... but gutted her outside..so i didnt make such a big mess in the shop :. froze my tail.... cool cool
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 03:56 AM

Wow, sounds like you got a heck of a deal. Its a lot of work breaking down an animal of that size, but it helps when you've got an end loader to help out.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:05 AM

This doesn’t help our cause.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:10 AM

good deal we are still working on the ground from the cow I got from a friend last year not near as big as yours it had the Johnies

it is a lot of work breaking it all down and packaging but it sure is nice to have a freezer full

what people should know is that when you break down a cow you realize that for every steak you eat you should be eating about 4-5 pots of soup.

there sure are a lot of soup bones and not a lot of steaks.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by cat daddy

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Charlie
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:44 AM

Story without pic would been fine But I know a few holes on here would say you lied if not fir the pic You can edit it now and remove the pic leave story up
Good score by the way !!!!!
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:47 AM

Cause meat from the store doesn't leave a mess just shows up in plastic and nicely in the counter.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 05:19 AM

I disagree. What hurts our cause is when people lose touch with reality and don't know where their food comes from. Dum it down so it doesn't offend anyone then wonder why the world is full of dummies....
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

I disagree. What hurts our cause is when people lose touch with reality and don't know where their food comes from. Dum it down so it doesn't offend anyone then wonder why the world is full of dummies....

Exactly right
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 05:56 AM

Alot of meals there.Way to go.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Story without pic would been fine But I know a few holes on here would say you lied if not fir the pic You can edit it now and remove the pic leave story up
Good score by the way !!!!!

Nothing wrong with the pic.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 06:42 AM

Just guessing but with a 60% cut out that's about 900 lbs. of beef, and that is a lot of freezer space. Happened to me once back when I still did handshake deals and a fellow reneged on a deal. Had to go to town and buy another freezer. I'm also guessing it's still fairly cold up there, may buy you some time if you need it.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 10:08 AM

Great save. That's saving some good beef. I like the picture by the way. It just shows one stage in the butchering process. Hope you can share some more pictures.
Ten years ago there was a deer farm up the road that raised fallow (sp.?) deer and they would call when one went down. Every one I know got one or two through the years
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 10:25 AM

Alwayus used a front end loader when I have done one. Sure works good.

Keep back a few roasts and the brisket. Slow cooking will tender them up just fine. Same thing for some stew meat.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 02:25 PM

Nice score on the burger cow. Don't figure you will see 900 lbs of burger out of her though. 60-64% would be a hanging weight of halves. Once boned out it will be closer to half the hanging weight. the 60-64% is a average and cows will be on the low end. She should make good burger. I hope you have better weather than I do to work on her. -11 was the low and we have a 30-35 mph wind.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:05 PM

I agree with Paul, no different than the hog killing thread.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:12 PM

Hydropillar lives in the cold strip of South Dakota but I would have gotten cold too to do a salvage of hundreds of pounds of meat. A guy can always warm up as long as you don't freeze your toes off. My middle toes just seem to go white nowadays even in my snow boots. Color is fine after they warm up.

Hydroillar and extended family, enjoy the burger and the few choice cuts. I'm sure those loins are still pretty tasty grin grin grin
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:21 PM

That’s awesome, great job.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:52 PM

Excellent , you scored

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by teepee2
I agree with Paul, no different than the hog killing thread.

Absolutely

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 05:07 PM

Thanks guys.... i dont think she will yield much over 50 55 % i expect about 700 lbs meat..... she is the biggest animal i ever butchered........ im thinkin i might get some good tallow off a fat from the bucher shop to add...im gonna shoot for 85-15..... and some 90-10.... ill get some pics when i cut her up.

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hydropillar
Thanks guys.... i dont think she will yield much over 50 55 % i expect about 700 lbs meat..... she is the biggest animal i ever butchered........ im thinkin i might get some good tallow off a fat from the bucher shop to add...im gonna shoot for 85-15..... and some 90-10.... ill get some pics when i cut her up.

Big Job
Posted By: 653

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 06:31 PM

Wish all kids could see and understand that pic! We’d have a lot less problems
Posted By: ccoyote

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 06:48 PM

Butchered one myself back around Thanksgiving. She had a bad hip and I didnt want to put her on a truck. trimmings all got used to mix with our venison... Its quite the job to butcher something that big by yourself. took me a couple hrs I believe.

Usually when butchering a cow you can figure about 30-35% of live weight on trimmings.
A fat beef will a do a little better if you take only boneless cuts and trimmings. ( bone will add to total take home weight)

Typical hanging weight will yield 50 to 60 percent of live on a cow.
A fat will do 60 to 65 hanging weight.

my guess if she weighed 1540 live weight she will get you right over 500 to 540 lbs depending on how much trimming you do.

Only had the caption as a joke because every so often something like that happens where someone shoots someone's livestock thinking it was a deer...

[Linked Image]

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 07:39 PM

ive got a comercial hobart band saw ... and lem grinder and electric stuffer... so im set up pretty good... i have a wellsaw splitting saw but i have just been using my cordless sawzall with a long coars blade... plenty of plastic meat tubs.... will break it down in proper pieces and bring in house to process.. if theres a cpl of us at it will go fine... hardest part right now is keeping her from freezing... i got a little ele heater near with a piece of plywood for diffuser cpl feet away to keep frost away... so far its working ok... she is border line froze today so im probably not getting the bacteria action i want but not much else i can do. got down to 6 last night.. its supposed to warm up ideal would be 50 daytime... and 20s night
Posted By: SnareLine

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 08:07 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 08:33 PM

This may help you some.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazg6u3ESco
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 09:42 PM

X3. Good picture good article. Lots of work there. Nice score on the beef grin
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/13/22 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine

The bearded butchers are a fantastic group of guys and really do have good content.

Re: Butchered a beef - 02/14/22 12:09 AM

wow that guys good !!.... i got the beard!! lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums