Posted By: warrior

CWD detected in Alabama - 01/07/22 09:49 PM

https://www.outdooralabama.com/cwd/cwd-alabama
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/07/22 10:15 PM

Matter of time I reckon.

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/07/22 10:24 PM

Looks like the state has taken the gloves off for the rest of the season. No bag limits either sex in the affected and buffer zones. Nothing moving out without testing and what does come out has to fully processed.

Probably only slowing the inevitable.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/07/22 10:37 PM

We had a DNR in-service session on CWD about 5 or 6 years ago. Were told CWD has the potential to move 1.5 miles annually in wild popluations. But, that was not exactly accurate. Especially since it has been documented that a whitetail buck travelled over 200 miles (in one general direction in a few weeks)

River Otter is correct.....it's just a matter of time. If it's ever documented that a human died due to consumption of a CWD infected deer....anyone can get a deer lease very, very cheap or access to hunting property easily.

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/07/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
We had a DNR in-service session on CWD about 5 or 6 years ago. Were told CWD has the potential to move 1.5 miles annually in wild popluations. But, that was not exactly accurate. Especially since it has been documented that a whitetail buck travelled over 200 miles (in one general direction in a few weeks)

River Otter is correct.....it's just a matter of time. If it's ever documented that a human died due to consumption of a CWD infected deer....anyone can get a deer lease very, very cheap or access to hunting property easily.

And if the city dwellers catch wind of that possibility the cry for wholesale slaughter and the ensuing hysteria.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/07/22 11:30 PM

I have heard of CWD for years but since I don't hunt deer any more I haven't done any research on it.

Let's say you shoot a deer that has CWD and you don't know that it has CWD, can you safely eat it by cooking it well enough?
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/07/22 11:44 PM

In Minnesota the dnr is trying to decimate the heard because of cwd. Deer farms seem to be the cause and should be banned in my opinion, no need for them.

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/07/22 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Computer Hater
I have heard of CWD for years but since I don't hunt deer any more I haven't done any research on it.

Let's say you shoot a deer that has CWD and you don't know that it has CWD, can you safely eat it by cooking it well enough?

No....it takes 1600 degrees F to destroy the abnormal proteins called prions. That's well done to ashes.

There is research that shows it can be transmitted to other deer that have browsed grass that was urinated on by an infected deer....not just by nose to nose contact. Hence, that's why deer urine use is restricted for hunters to buy and use in some states.

CWD is about like the covid virus....all deer are gonna get there chance with it just like all people are gonna get their chance with covid. Difference is CWD is not a virus or a bacteria....so there is a huge unknown about getting control of it.

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 12:01 AM

Don't quote me or consider what I say as fact but according to what I have read on the subject there are no documented cases of CWD transferring to humans by any means.

And it is very possible to harvest non symptomatic deer as the latency time from infection to syptomatic can be years and such an infected individual can shed infectious prions during that period. Also the prions that cause CWD can remain infectious in the environment for as yet unknown length of time, possibly forever, they can remain bound to soil particles and according to one experiment taken up by plants (replicating in plant tissue) and consumed to cause infection. Further the prions are extremely resistant to many forms of neutralization such as heat, UV, radiation, etc. Though both bleach and lye show some effectiveness.

But this is nothing but repeating what I have read on the subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prion

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 12:09 AM

Warrior's post above ^^^^ is spot on what we were told a few years ago.

For those that are not familiar with CWD...it is the deer version of mad cow disease and scrapie in sheep.

There is yet no proven transmission of CWD from deer to humans, but.....
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 12:43 AM

Of course it's going to be found everywhere with federal money on the line

https://blog.eastmans.com/cwd-goes-federal-good-or-bad/

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
Of course it's going to be found everywhere with federal money on the line

https://blog.eastmans.com/cwd-goes-federal-good-or-bad/

Oh man! I agree. There is gonna be more CWD "discovered" now....
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 01:33 AM

CWD is the covid in the deer world, but the scam has been going on for 20 years now.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 01:38 AM

I'll just stick to eating bats i bought at the wet market.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 01:40 AM

The research half might be a step in the right direction. Not sure how well the research to date has been coordinated and this might improve the focus but it also creates competition for the funding.

The mitigation half will just create unscrupulous competition for Federal money. And to what end since there has not been any action that has proved to be effective in preventing it from spreading or cleaning up the areas where it has occurred.

IMO, they would be better off to focus on research until they come up with something that works.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

Don't quote me or consider what I say as fact but according to what I have read on the subject there are no documented cases of CWD transferring to humans by any means.

And it is very possible to harvest non symptomatic deer as the latency time from infection to syptomatic can be years and such an infected individual can shed infectious prions during that period. Also the prions that cause CWD can remain infectious in the environment for as yet unknown length of time, possibly forever, they can remain bound to soil particles and according to one experiment taken up by plants (replicating in plant tissue) and consumed to cause infection. Further the prions are extremely resistant to many forms of neutralization such as heat, UV, radiation, etc. Though both bleach and lye show some effectiveness.

But this is nothing but repeating what I have read on the subject.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prion

And there is a control group of about 300 individuals that unknowing ate CWD infected venison near central NY...They are being watched...
Posted By: DecoyMacoy

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
CWD is the covid in the deer world, but the scam has been going on for 20 years now.

Bingo

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Redknot

And there is a control group of about 300 individuals that unknowing ate CWD infected venison near central NY...They are being watched...

Well don't that just suck.

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 04:54 AM

What about CWD is a scam?
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 11:07 AM

I don't think CWD is a scam. But like Kung Flu certain groups with agendas have practiced the "Don't let a crisis go to waste" method. In Michigan we've had CWD for years now. Antler fanatics and no fence deer farmers have used it to push for regulation changes. Changes to enhance the odds of shooting a buck they define as a trophy. With CWD the older a deer gets, the higher the odds it will contract CWD. But 1 1/2 year old bucks don't have big antlers. I prefer to harvest 2 young deer either sex v/s 1 old antlered buck. I think that may reduce the odds of CWD for deer we eat. But large antler groups and our DNR want to shoot all the does possible, yet leave the bucks to grow big antlers. Population reduction on a large scale takes all deer. CWD does not care a deer's sex. Michigan outlawed baiting deer due to CWD, Antler fanatics loved this, as they figured even small landowners with bait may draw "their" buck away. The CWD crisis will not go to waste by those with an agenda. Not sure if that's a scam or not.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 11:22 AM

I just posted on the MN DNR at its finest thread that has a couple of links in it that should be read. Sorry I wasn't able to copy the links and just post on this one. I'm on my tablet and couldn't get it to copy.
Posted By: hippie

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 12:51 PM

They're giving unlimited tags for some area's around here now. All it takes is for one or two positives and an area is mapped out around it and tags are sold for that area.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper

If the truth ever sees daylight we'll find out that the wet market bats were just a convenient scapegoat for Fauci and his Wuhan lab experiments.
Posted By: DecoyMacoy

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 08:30 PM

The State/Fed Biologists ("The Experts") are incentivized to tell you this is the worst catastrophe of a generation because it means more research funding for them.

These people are not driven of normal market forces. They do no need to provide a quality product or service to stay in business. They just need to sell fear and the money pours in.

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by DecoyMacoy

The State/Fed Biologists ("The Experts") are incentivized to tell you this is the worst catastrophe of a generation because it means more research funding for them.

These people are not driven of normal market forces. They do no need to provide a quality product or service to stay in business. They just need to sell fear and the money pours in.

I would respectfully disagree. Having lived through and still living with the various and sundry honeybee issues of the last forty years. Namely varroa mites which like CWD has been around for decades without a "cure" and will probably be here for the rest of eternity. I can tell you that there are issues and problems out there that no one is getting rich off of and quite frankly aren't being funded enough.

And your whole argument is facetious as biologists and wildlife depts are paid by license sales, no deer to hunt no licenses sold. The vested interest isn't in research or killing off deer but putting more hunters in the woods.

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 10:03 PM

If CWD makes the jump from deer to humans the term catastrophe will be an understatement.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 10:04 PM

Respectfully, having lived through the CWD paranoia in Wisconsin I do not buy into the narrative that has been spread by the wdnr or its minions. I as many have read and studied any and all available material we can. my conclusion continues to be it is present, has always been present and became detected as you test for it. More common with more deer numbers. I would bet I and most have eaten CWD infected deer, elk, etc. There are multiple agendas at play with the "discovery" of CWD.
Posted By: Badger23

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 10:09 PM

I agree with Bear Tracker. I think CWD was present in Wisconsin long before it was reported. I also am skeptical of the DNR as well. CWD is going to be here forever.

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23
I agree with Bear Tracker. I think CWD was present in Wisconsin long before it was reported. I also am skeptical of the DNR as well. CWD is going to be here forever.

Probably.

Let's all hope that humans dont ever get it from eating venison. Would be terrible to bring home venison and it kills your family.
Posted By: JBR

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/08/22 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Badger23

Probably.

Let's all hope that humans dont ever get it from eating venison. Would be terrible to bring home venison and it kills your family.

That’s why I’m not knowingly eating cwd infected or possibly infected meat
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/09/22 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper

grin
Posted By: Weatherby270

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/09/22 04:00 PM

There were some studies done a few years ago where the scientists took prions and injected them into the brains of different primates, and also fed them infected tissue. Squirrel monkeys contracted the disease in most cases, but the macaques they tested didn't. Since macaque genetics are more similar to humans, they concluded that it's more likely that humans can't get CWD through ingesting infected tissue.

I think the fact that direct injection of prions into the brains of these macaques didn't cause them to contract CWD is pretty powerful evidence that eating infected deer won't get you sick.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/20/5/13-0778_article

I agree with Bear Tracker and Badger23. I think CWD was around for a lot longer than we realized, and it was probably present in Wisconsin prior to its "discovery". By the time the deer start showing symptoms, they're so far gone that the majority of them probably get preyed upon by coyotes, bobcats and wolves anyway.

I'll get an animal tested if its free, but I'm not particularly concerned about it.

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/09/22 04:07 PM

Some believe CWD was "created" during scientific/biological research into scrapie in sheep in the western US....maybe by accident it made the jump to cervids.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: CWD detected in Alabama - 01/09/22 08:23 PM

If CWD makes the jump from deer to humans the term catastrophe will be an understatement.

Eating squirrel brains has been directly tied to CJD (Creutzfeldt-Jakob diesease) in humans. I hope I am wrong when I say it is only a matter of time before CWD jumps from a cervid to a human. 99% of the red meat I, as well as my All Purpose boy and his boys, eat is venison or elk.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums