Home

Old lovesick dog

Posted By: rosscoak

Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 07:26 AM

Our old yellow lab is past his prime, hobbles and whines in pain.
12.5 years...been the best dog I have trained and trapped with.
Well, he's not fixed and still gets all horned up when any female goes into heat within a mile of us.
The whining and panting is unreal...never remember him being like this.
Short of taking him out on a one way trip to the trapline ... are there any farmer tips or advice to try to get his hormones calmed down?
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 07:37 AM

Too old to nut him, and he probably doesnt appreciate ice on his nads,
so maybe get some big pillows and rub em up against any spiced
up females you know of, bring said pillows home, tape a pretty
poodle face on em and let him do work.

But seriously, for an old dog, a good smelling pillow may keep his
attention.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 07:38 AM

Find him a one night stand.

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 07:40 AM

Aside from that, Rimadyl worked well for a couple old dogs i had.
Posted By: furstroker

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
Find him a one night stand.

Lol. We're talking about doggy Hugh Hefner here... but we're trying to
keep this ole boy around for the OP. grin
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 08:38 AM

lol! yeah, dont want the ol boy to have a heart attack doing the business..
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 10:17 AM

You can try giving him some cbd I have a friend that gives gives it to his old lab for hip pain and it works well.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 10:24 AM

get him married
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by rosscoak
Our old yellow lab is past his prime, hobbles and whines in pain.
12.5 years...been the best dog I have trained and trapped with.
Well, he's not fixed and still gets all horned up when any female goes into heat within a mile of us.
The whining and panting is unreal...never remember him being like this.
Short of taking him out on a one way trip to the trapline ... are there any farmer tips or advice to try to get his hormones calmed down?

Heck, I think you just described me! grin
Posted By: corky

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
get him married

laugh
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 12:51 PM

Vicks Vapo rub, might work. Put a Little on his chin so he doesn't lick it off as easy
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 01:33 PM

if you find a cure let me know. im getting long in the tooth and young wimmin make me sniff and drool too

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper Dahlgren
get him married

Hes trying to IMPROVE the dogs life.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by sweetwilliam
You can try giving him some cbd I have a friend that gives gives it to his old lab for hip pain and it works well.

But then the puppy-ma-ma's would find Him.
Posted By: CaseXX

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 08:20 PM

Is this a new thing? Your breed and his age could be a sign of prostititus. A painful inflammation of the prostate. Look for signs of blood in the uruin or if he has trouble pooping. If you only want to calm him down for the night just give him a Benadryl. Over the counter drug. For longer term see your vet and talk about xanax, yep the crazy pill that keeps millions of city soccer moms in check. Their are a few drugs that can help with arthritis, Mobic is one but their is a whole class of them. The old vapo rub trick might work but it is usually applied to the female lady parts. Your problem is your studs brain, specifically the pituitary gland. And the GnRH hormone. Once that hormone is raised the rest is all nature. Before you take your friend for that last trap check, a walk that will hurt you for the rest of your life, please see your vet. And don't take any medical advise from something you read on an internet chat board. Especially mine. Hope this can do you good. By the by, I raised beagles for 15 years and german Shepards for 22. Cattle for 22 also. Good luck.

Oops had to edit, forgot rymidyl. As another fellow mentioned,With vet consent a great NSAID. And maybe another good option.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/11/21 08:39 PM

Check with Ghislane whatzername!
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: Old lovesick dog - 12/13/21 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by CaseXX Collector
Is this a new thing? Your breed and his age could be a sign of prostititus. A painful inflammation of the prostate. Look for signs of blood in the uruin or if he has trouble pooping. If you only want to calm him down for the night just give him a Benadryl. Over the counter drug. For longer term see your vet and talk about xanax, yep the crazy pill that keeps millions of city soccer moms in check. Their are a few drugs that can help with arthritis, Mobic is one but their is a whole class of them. The old vapo rub trick might work but it is usually applied to the female lady parts. Your problem is your studs brain, specifically the pituitary gland. And the GnRH hormone. Once that hormone is raised the rest is all nature. Before you take your friend for that last trap check, a walk that will hurt you for the rest of your life, please see your vet. And don't take any medical advise from something you read on an internet chat board. Especially mine. Hope this can do you good. By the by, I raised beagles for 15 years and german Shepards for 22. Cattle for 22 also. Good luck.

Oops had to edit, forgot rymidyl. As another fellow mentioned,With vet consent a great NSAID. And maybe another good option.

Thanks for the tips....you guys are good...had a great laugh.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums