Home

Sourdough

Posted By: yotetrapper30

Sourdough - 12/03/21 09:46 PM

Anyone here make sourdough? I mainly wanted to learn about it so as to have a way to make bread if commercial yeast wasn't available. Had some trouble getting a starter going initially but finally did.

This is my first loaf. Not tried it yet as it just came out of the oven and needs to sit for 1-2 hours. But it looks pretty much like the pics of the other loaves I've seen online so hopefully it turned out inside too, lol.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Sourdough - 12/03/21 10:12 PM

Looks good to me.
My dad used to make a big batch of buckwheat pancake batter , and make a few pancakes .
He never did more than cover the batter with a cloth .
He made pancakes for breakfast every morning for weeks , just adding a little more mix and water .
They had that sour dough taste and were a favorite of mine .
I haven't made them in years , it's hard to get the good stone ground mix that used to be made in the Old Mill in town .
You'll like it and be hooked now .
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Sourdough - 12/03/21 10:26 PM

Looks like you had a good rise, Now you have to feed it and grow it. If you don't like the flavor ask around and try a different starter. Most people who make sourdough are willing to share a start..Try this one

http://carlsfriends.net/source.html
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Sourdough - 12/03/21 10:26 PM

Not only does it look as good as those on the Internet.......looks as good as those on the cover of bread making books. Hope it tastes the same.

I've been making sourdough for years. My take is it is low carb bread. Nobody but me seems to agree with that, but if you let it go for about 12 to 15 hours, the culture mines out all the carbs to make CO2 and alcohol. Carbs for that had to come from somewhere.

My stuff tends to be utilitarian. Made them like that (for show) for a while, then less shape and lately, dump it in a bread pan. Today's effort was dinner rolls. Look OK.....taste great!

How did you do the culture? I make mine on my own from flour and water. Takes about 10 to 14 days to get it up and rolling.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Sourdough - 12/03/21 10:51 PM

Looks great. I started mine when yeast wasn't available about a year and a half ago. Been using it ever since. I bake 1 to 2 loaves a week.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Sourdough - 12/03/21 11:19 PM

https://kentrollins.com/?s=sourdough
Posted By: Mac

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 12:10 AM

Looks great. I love sourdough bread.

Mac
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 12:48 AM

[Linked Image]

Iam on day 5 of making my first Staahtah. The house is a cool 66 degrees (thanks Joe Biden)…so I’ve read to put the starter in the oven with the light on ,for a wee bit of heat…to make things work. Can’t wait to get stuff going and make my first sour dough loaf.

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Anyone here make sourdough? I mainly wanted to learn about it so as to have a way to make bread if commercial yeast wasn't available. Had some trouble getting a starter going initially but finally did.

This is my first loaf. Not tried it yet as it just came out of the oven and needs to sit for 1-2 hours. But it looks pretty much like the pics of the other loaves I've seen online so hopefully it turned out inside too, lol.

[Linked Image]

Looks great ! Let the next loaf cook another 10-15 minutes longer …to get that nice golden crust

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 12:53 AM

[Linked Image]

Not sour dough….but browned up nice
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 01:02 AM

Looks good man.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by HayDay
Not only does it look as good as those on the Internet.......looks as good as those on the cover of bread making books. Hope it tastes the same.

I've been making sourdough for years. My take is it is low carb bread. Nobody but me seems to agree with that, but if you let it go for about 12 to 15 hours, the culture mines out all the carbs to make CO2 and alcohol. Carbs for that had to come from somewhere.

My stuff tends to be utilitarian. Made them like that (for show) for a while, then less shape and lately, dump it in a bread pan. Today's effort was dinner rolls. Look OK.....taste great!

How did you do the culture? I make mine on my own from flour and water. Takes about 10 to 14 days to get it up and rolling.

According the USDA, sourdough has more carbs than white bread. The fermentation of sourdough with natural yeast/other bacteria doesnt quite eat carbs like normal bread or alcoholic beverage fermentations do.

Now, they do say its glycemic index is lower than white bread. Which is good for those that need to watch their blood sugar levels.

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 01:38 AM

I've heard that, but not sure I'm buying it. May depend on how long you let it proof. When I make a loaf, mine is mixed up late afternoon......4 to 5. Goes through 5 or 6 stretch and folds to develop the gluten strands.......then proof's overnight. Will shape it about 7 AM and bake about 10 AM. So about 18 hours total. Fermenting the whole time. Goal is to bake it just before it falls flat and can't get up.

When I refresh my starter.......it goes hot, then rises and falls........and needs a feed at 12 hours. Not unlike DDG's coming out of an ethanol plant. At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

According the USDA, sourdough has more carbs than white bread. The fermentation of sourdough with natural yeast/other bacteria doesnt quite eat carbs like normal bread or alcoholic beverage fermentations do.

Now, they do say its glycemic index is lower than white bread. Which is good for those that need to watch their blood sugar levels.

If we were all together in person I think a few loaves would’ve been thrown at you after this statement. Jk. Lots of people have decades old batter up here for sourdough pancakes every weekend.

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 03:39 AM

Wow, thanks.... I don't know about all that, lol. Someone on the Internet sent me a start of her dehydrated starter... which is the THIRD dehydrated starter I got... couldn't get the first two going. First one from ebay, second one from Carl Griffith.

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 05:09 AM

Good watch here…
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 07:07 AM

I used to bake sourdough every day for a living. Oldest poolish we had was almost a hundred years old. A genuine SF sourdough originally, this was in a hotel in Yosemite. Wishful thinking if you think carbs are gone out of sourdough lol, but nice try! My snack for break most days was taking a quarter of a loaf, lots of butter, putting it in our deck oven to melt the butter, then sitting down and enjoying it. Last bakery I worked at I did all of the mixes for every bread we did. Worked 230am til 11am. Everything was on a tight timeline, was literally not even able to look up til about 6am because of timelines I had to meet. Baking is science, cooking is just winging it.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod

If we were all together in person I think a few loaves would’ve been thrown at you after this statement. Jk. Lots of people have decades old batter up here for sourdough pancakes every weekend.

Jist comparing nutrition labels. And the difference is a few grams per 100g of bread
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 02:28 PM

Ryan you have to remember that the flour that you get up north has some extra nutrition placed in over flour made down south.
Those sour dough pancakes are a real treat that vary from household to household and i would not refuse an offering when presented some

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 02:31 PM

Well after cutting into it it could have been cooked a little bit more, but otherwise was good
Posted By: Garryowen

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 02:39 PM

I have to admit that I could never wait one to two hours to eat it. Hot enought to melt the butter.

Garryowen

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 03:04 PM

I'm interested in doing that as well. What do you mean when you say "dump it in a loaf pan." Do you just do it the normal way and then on your final shaping make it loaf shaped instead of round? Or do you have an easier way of doing it?

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 03:43 PM

This is an example of what my daily bread looks like. After it's proofed overnight, I give it another stretch and fold, let it rest a minute or so, then fold it into shape and drop it on a piece of baking parchment paper, which is laid out over two dish towels, rolled up in tubes and placed on a baking sheet. Makes a trough of sorts and replaces proofing baskets and such. Then allowed to rise a couple hours. To bake......that gets transferred to a peel, where it is slashed, then spritzed with water, then goes onto baking stone in a 450 oven. Is covered with the top half of a blue graniteware roasting pan. Baked 35 minutes and it's done.

The bread pan alternative is to do the overnight proof, then give it a rough shape, and dump it into a regular large sized loaf pan....where it proofs a couple hours, then goes into oven to bake. Comes out as a traditional bread loaf....so all the slices are consistent in size and shape. Not as fancy as the other way, but tastes the same.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 03:47 PM

And lastly, heathen that I am......can't eat a loaf as fast as it will go south, so after it cools down, will slice up the whole loaf, put it a gallon sized zip lock bag and freeze it. Pull out a slice or two......thaws in a couple minutes and 99% the same as it was when it went in the bag.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 04:54 PM

I used to make sourdough, kept some starters going for years and started many starters from scratch with no yeast but what was in the kitchen air and some potato water for the sugar. The important factor as in any yeast bread is to have high gluten hard wheat flour. I used mine mainly for pancakes but made bread occasionally, biscuits more often than loaves. I guess it's been 15-20 years since I used any, but I bet i could stir some up in 5-6 days

Re: Sourdough - 12/04/21 05:47 PM

I have made plenty of “Poolish” type breads….but going to the dark side and trying to get my starter going ..Iam going on day 6 of trying to get this culture off the ground. [Linked Image]

Poolish bread here
© 2024 Trapperman Forums