Home

Wasp nest question

Posted By: greenetrapper

Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 09:51 PM

Okay I have a question. I just found this on my property and would love to put it in my man cave. Is it safe to take it down when it gets a little bit colder and put it in my house. I don't see any bees around it but it is cold. I'm pretty sure they leave it for the winter but I don't know for sure[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 09:57 PM

after the first hard freeze they die except the young queen for next year, if she remains in the nest she will appear when it warms up in the house, but get it quick after the freeze they don't last long outside.
Posted By: Doug B.

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 10:28 PM

That is not a wasp nest. It looks like a hornet nest.

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doug B.

Ok is it still OK to take after a freeze
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 10:33 PM

Bald Face Hornets are not something you want buzzing around in the house. Cut it off and drop it in a trash bag and spray liberally with Wasp and Hornet spray, especially right up the entry hole, seal it, and wait.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 10:40 PM

Put it in your Neighbors Garage grin
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Bald Face Hornets are not something you want buzzing around in the house. Cut it off and drop it in a trash bag and spray liberally with Wasp and Hornet spray, especially right up the entry hole, seal it, and wait.

Bob's directions are exactly what I have done with the ones I've found. I've sprayed them with the Wasp & Hornet spray several times over the course of a couple of months just to make sure we got all the hornets killed. After you are sure there is nothing alive left inside, you can spray the outside with hairspray to put some of the curled up leaves back in place. These nests will last a long time if you take care of them.

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 11:00 PM

Wont the hornet spray destroy the nest when you saturate it
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 11:20 PM

Don't soak it, just spray the air around it in the bag, if they come out, they die in the vapors.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 11:22 PM

Bee careful.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/04/21 11:29 PM

I realize the OP is wanting to save this for decoration. But if you have one that isn't in good shape and don't want, find a guy local to you who shoots a smoothbore flintlock... That paper is tough stuff and makes good wadding. Regular paper wasp nests work too but they're smaller so you don't get a lot of shots out of them.

There. That's a thing you know now. smile

Mike
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob

X 2 Knew a guy took one too early then went and drank some beer. Woke up next morning to a bunch of mad hornets.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 12:09 AM

I've taken two so far this year. Waited til after a couple good frosts, then took them in the evening. Hung them in the shed, they'll stay there til deep freeze. I did hit the opening of each with a shot of spray, none came out.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 12:25 AM

The capped queens for next year do take a time to grow especially with cooler temps.10-30 days or about 1000 degree day temps accumulation.There are no workers tending and feeding royal jelly to them since they have dispersed/ or frozen.
Spraying the nest will not kill them since they are capped inside usually 2-3 inches from the outside edge.
Clear plastic bag wrapped and the second bag spray, because they can chew through a single layer.
Remember the queens have no barbs on their stingers, so you can get multi-stung by one or more.

Blue jays and crows rip the nest apart feeding on these larvae.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 12:31 AM

I've got five in the house. Brought them in after a hard freeze and never worried about it. No problems.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 12:48 AM

I bring them home and place in my trapping freezer, never found any alive. Keep them dry and hang them, no need to spray shellac on them.

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Bee careful.

Good
Posted By: Doug B.

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by greenetrapper
Originally Posted by Doug B.

Ok is it still OK to take after a freeze

Yes. You will be fine to take them after a freeze.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 12:28 PM

I have 3 in my house and once I had some hornets crawl out. They were pretty drowsy and only a few so after that I did the spray in a bag trick and never had any more issues.
They are pretty cool and have lasted for many years. The ones I have found lately have been damaged by various critters and birds so have not been collectible.

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 12:35 PM

Couple killer bees in the house...not a big issue grin
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 02:06 PM

I've had two
Always placed in a airtight container, added a open dish (half a cup) of alcohol and resealed.
In the instructions for process , it was explained that the alcohol vapors will exterminate anything alive.
I'm thinking I left in the sealed container for a week.

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dillrod
I've had two
Always placed in a airtight container, added a open dish (half a cup) of alcohol and resealed.
In the instructions for process , it was explained that the alcohol vapors will exterminate anything alive.
I'm thinking I left in the sealed container for a week.

Good to try
Posted By: tjm

Re: Wasp nest question - 11/05/21 05:53 PM

My nephew brought one in years ago, after 3-4 hard frosts, he found out that paper insulates and bald face hornets wake up when warmed up. Bag the nest before thawing, spray too if you want.
Sure some guys get lucky, and find no live hornets, my nephew had collected a couple before he got the angry ones.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums