Home

Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line

Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 05:46 AM

First dog of the season two days ago. Had a guy walk up the Forest Road as I was remaking the set with his dog on a leash. I had him pegged for an anti at first, but turns out he was really grateful I was catching coyotes in the area because they have gotten his chickens and wive's cats nearby. He said he had to run out and chase off a coyote that was chasing his chickens in his yard and not long after one of her cats went missing and then the other one refused to leave the porch after it went missing. He's from Western Washington and long story short now he said he wants to try his hand at trapping especially after I stuck my hand in a MB550 and showed him it wouldn't hurt his dog. He had lots of questions on skinning, traps, gear, etc. I gave him contact info for Intermountain Fur Harvesters and ITA.

[Linked Image]

Caught two more yotes today. First ever two coyote day. Maybe God or karma rewarding me. Maybe a coincidence. Whatever the case I feel great about the possibility of a new trapper who had no clue trapping even went on here.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 09:29 AM

Sounnds like a great day!
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 09:41 AM

That’s awesome.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 10:25 AM

Good job!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 10:32 AM

wtg , I always try to talk to people I meet in the woods ,
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 10:41 AM

Fine work and nice coyote.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 10:44 AM

Good job on the coyotes.

I am always nice to people I meet out on the trap line or hunting, fishing, etc. I’m nice until they give me a reason not to be.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 11:43 AM

Good reminder to be an ambassador for trapping whenever possible. Thank you!
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 05:04 PM

I think it's natural for us to become defensive when we see people approaching, BUT I've been pleasantly surprised many times in the past from people I would not have suspected. These were city people to boot.

Never pass up an opportunity to educate the public about the benefits of what we do. If you don't tell them, nobody will.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 05:27 PM

Wife was looking for a cat a while back and one of the rescue groups asked me if I'd keep it inside or leave out outside where the coyotes could get it. I said, "ma'am I shoot coyotes on sight." You'd a thought I told her I was donating a million dollars to her group.

Perception is reality.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 05:37 PM

If the majority of people were anti we wouldn't be trapping. Good job on the coyotes and the conversation. Hope you don't have the same conversation when you're taking a beaver out of a 330. lol
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 05:43 PM

One of the areas I trap can get a lot of weekend traffic is the weather is dry, I have always talked to the folks I meet and let them know there were traps in the area. Not just mine but other people too. I would kinda say when you get to a certain gate if you pass it you might run into traps. Everyone was grateful and I would see them leash dogs when they got close to the area or maybe take a different route.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 09:09 PM

I hope you told him to check WA trapping regs. I don't think he will be able to use foot holds in WA.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 10:24 PM

Great job!!
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 11:09 PM

I had an incident a lot like that last year. I got back to my truck after checking a few sets. And there was a guy waiting for me. He was a neighbor to the property I was trapping and I figured he didn’t like me trapping because he had dogs. Turns out he just wanted my contact info so that he could give me the coyotes he shoots during deer season.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 11:18 PM

Nice job !
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 11:41 PM

Good for you Wild Idaho!

He’ll be trapping next year! Right where he saw you trapping! Lol
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 11:51 PM

Great job on trapping and explaining things.
Posted By: Mwhite1978

Re: Be nice to non-trappers you meet on your line - 10/29/21 11:58 PM

I think most people with any sense don't have a problem with trapping or hunting especially if someone takes a little time to educate them about what we do and the benefits. We all know that the anti's are severely lacking any common sense.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums