Home

Buried or cremated?

Posted By: woodchuck

Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 04:22 PM

Was reading another thread about spreading ashes and reminded me of something Dad did that (to me) was against my Mothers wishes. She said she wanted cremated since when we moved here in 1972. She even told the funeral director at that time and they'd joke each time she attended a viewing there. She died before Dad and finalizing everything at the funeral home Bill (funeral director Mom joked with) got to the point of the paperwork and said he knew she wanted cremated. Dad said no saying she had been thinking it over lately and didn't want cremated, he was the only one who "knew" of this. We let him do what he wanted as it was his wife. As he was a Pastor the ashes to ashes dust to dust part I brought up he said if cremated it wasn't a natural return to ashes/dust and he would be raised before her. WHAT?
So what is your opinion? Personally I'm going cremation and will have it written that way (plus siblings know) and have asked the kids if they want a place to have to "visit" me. They said no so since it's just ashes and not me I told them to do what they wanted including flushing down the toilet.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 04:26 PM

There is no biblical direction for either one. Your body returns to the earth whether it decays or is burned. Same thing.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 04:33 PM

I would prefer buried/tossed in the lake or woods without preservatives. No reason to cut me up and pump my body full of poison. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 04:40 PM

I want all my kids to see me dead , but not embalmed no need for that poison I feel seeing the deceased makes it more real and provides better closure . personal experience.

once they have all seen me dead cremation is fine no point wasting money that could be used to buy beer for the memorial party.

hey if they wanted to build a big funeral pyre and have the memorial and cremation all at once sure go for it
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I want all my kids to see me dead , but not embalmed no need for that poison I feel seeing the deceased makes it more real and provides better closure .

hey if they wanted to build a big funeral pyre and have the memorial and cremation all at once sure go for it

I agree on the closure. The goverment will not let that happen at least in indiana.

I wws wanting to have my son moved to the farm and have a family plot. The state required a 300k bank account set aside for future grass cutting ect... thats as far as i got with it.

When im dead I dont care. I only carevwhat the kids want. My wife wants burned and money saved the kids do whatvthey wabt with.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 05:03 PM

[Linked Image]

Told the family to toast me up.....and fill all my coal cars with my ashes,and run me around my model train layout......
Posted By: warrior

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 05:06 PM

Buried, next to my grandfather, great grandfather and great grandfather.

Mother made the choice to be be buried in the community Dad and she made home for fifty years so Dad will be with her.

I might be the only one to fulfill Dad's dream of going home after all these years.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I want all my kids to see me dead , but not embalmed no need for that poison I feel seeing the deceased makes it more real and provides better closure .

I agree on the closure. The goverment will not let that happen at least in indiana.

I wws wanting to have my son moved to the farm and have a family plot. The state required a 300k bank account set aside for future grass cutting ect... thats as far as i got with it.

When im dead I dont care. I only carevwhat the kids want. My wife wants burned and money saved the kids do whatvthey wabt with.

well if you know your going your family can be with you at hospice or at home

if you die at home no one has to call the funeral home first they can call the family , provided they don't live too far away.

I was not able to see my grandpa when he died , much of the family was there in the room , congestive heart failure they kept turning up the oxygen when they couldn't give him any more oxygen and his blood oxygen levels were falling they gathered the family that could get there and turned of the oxygen with everyone in the room he was goon in a few minutes.

I didn't think it was a big deal at the time , but I wish I would have gone now.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 05:24 PM

Burried face down so everyone can kiss my..... bahaha.. I'll be cremated with no funeral. Not giving a funeral home my money. Kids can keep it all.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Burried face down so everyone can kiss my..... bahaha.. I'll be cremated with no funeral. Not giving a funeral home my money. Kids can keep it all.

Dang straight on that !
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 05:34 PM

I don't have a preference. I don't believe I'll have any connection to my body after death, so it won't effect me either way.

Keith
Posted By: Savell

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 05:49 PM

I want to be air fried
Posted By: white17

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 06:06 PM

Posted By: Drifter

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 07:16 PM

Sounds like a plan to me White though my wife don't agree.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 07:40 PM

Always had a fear of dying in fire. So I'm going for buried. Guess the wife will do what she wants though
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 07:47 PM

Burn me. Add my ashes to a proven fox lure
And I can catch some reds one last time.
Posted By: Jags

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 07:58 PM

Took care of this earlier this year. Cremated no wake or funeral. It's all one last money suck. I told my kids where to spread em.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 08:00 PM

It is common for people to have a sample of ashes from a loved one , or pet, encased into a glass or crystal ornament for keepsake. To have close to them.

I think , having a dearly loved one in a teardrop crystal as a necklace would be close to my heart....
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 08:02 PM

There are many laws in many states that state how you may be laid to rest in either way, best check on them before setting anything in writing because some times it won't be what is desire by either live or dead.

Not to mention the heart ache expressed by those who have dealt with the passed person for years knowing what they wished.
However if those handling the passing don't care what others think then it's a mute point !

My mom wished to be cremated and the three of us boys all agreed to that wish until her passing, when the middle one decided on a burial,
that caused a riff between us other two who stood fast to her wish's, she was cremated and most of the dominate faith in the family
had a cow over the cremation, saying she no could never be ressurected as the religion believed, told them all they better go back and study up some. My self and the younger brother no longer associate with them. To bad for them.

Who ever is in charge is usually the last say, even with a death wish in writing, so y'all better study up and make it clear who is the last say in the matter to save heartache for the living, the passed have moved on and can't do anything for y'all then !!

I will be buried, hopefully not alive , LOL !!
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 08:09 PM

Dump me in lake erie or out in the Hudson canyon. Fish gotta eat too...
Posted By: white17

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 08:13 PM

Not uncommon up here to spread ashes from a plane. Nice to specify ahead of time where you want to spend eternity.....IMO
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 08:45 PM

Couple thoughts,
from one who will be standing with a family next week, (just haven't met them yet) discussing final arrangement services.
It happens over and over and over again.

If your plan is to save money to shortcut grieving ceremonies, counselors and therapists thank you. You keep them in biz because there is a difference between healthy grieving and unhealthy grieving and it rears up after the dearly beloved is gone and the family hassles remain. We have gone from funeral >>> to no funeral >>>> to a memorial >>>> to no memorial >>>> to not a dime >>>> to I don't care in less than a century. Wow. Tossing out the dead like we toss out plastic cups. Quickly. Faster the better so we can back "to it," whatever it is.

I supported 92 bereavements this summer alone, and I'll say up front, the lack of family gathering (Covid rules) and the impulse to save a dollar, even as you leave this life, is wreaking havoc on our folks.
Big time.
But don't worry, we have DSM-5 categories and meds to give people so who cares if they aren't given a chance to grieve properly. Get over it and takes your pills! Quit crying and get back on social media and tell folks you're 110%. Smile!

Biblically, most theologians (Christian) don't squabble over ashes or burial ceremonies. The believers in our age known as the Church age - from 33 AD until the Rapture starts, will get gathered to the skies according to Scripture, and we assume Jesus can sure enough find his children, alive, buried, or eaten by sharks. We'll all, by His Grace, be cleaned up and we'll stand before the Bema seat in judgement and all will be well.

The unsaved will be resurrected also, to die a 2nd time the Bible tells us, at the Great White Throne judgment. You do not want to go to this family reunion. And Scripture assures us, Christ will find ever last one of his created for this judgment. Revelation tells us none will escape this judgment, no not one.

Just PLEASE have the memorial ceremonies. Please.
If I have one more person cry sincerely to me, saying, "I never even got to be with them." or "They wouldn't even have the decency to let me say goodbye," I'll throw a D-handle across the pond. It messes people up. With good reason. We're relational persons and births and deaths were meant for us to attend. Physically. Not remotely. Not because they are sad and I don't want people to remember me that way." What way? As precious in their life? A piece of them?
News flash from this vantage: The dead don't die and I am forever giving people, as a minister of the God of the Bible, literal permission to "remember" their loved ones in a society that screams "get over it!."
Memories are God's Mercy to us and the more we love someone, the more we remember them, harder it is to let go at death, and all that.
Let it be and let it be is my pastoral counsel. Cry. Touch them. Say whatever you wish. Say goodbye if need be.

America is really getting a lot of bad advise from a lot of angles lately and the tempter is behind most of it. I give hospice patients counsel all the time that a gift they can give if they wish is the gift of healthy grieving to those they'll say goodbye to. Love in action when it's really important. It's called a legacy.

Bottom line, honor the dead and say goodbye in person to their legacy as best you can.
It'll heal broken hearts.
The rest, not so much.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Posco

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 08:55 PM

I was just talking with my kids about this last week. In Maine there is no need for embalming and you can be buried on your own land as long as the plot is recorded in the county records. You don't even need a coffin or casket and no concrete chamber. This one is going to be loitering in my garage for when the time comes. It comes with a matt filled with straw. That's it, pretty basic. I want to be be buried near my cabin. I need to get this drawn up so they don't have to worry about it when the time comes.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roy Greenfield

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 08:55 PM

Burial here!
I spent two decades working on/in heat treat furnaces very close to the type used for cremation.
Be danged if my last moment will be having the door close.
Roy
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 09:31 PM

I think it is illegal to spread ashes in some states . Talked to my lawyer when I did my will said dump me in lake cumberland so the buckeyes can run over me all summer lol. She said if it happened no one can know .
Posted By: RustyShacklefrd

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 10:42 PM

Nothing like a good quote !

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by RustyShacklefrd
Nothing like a good quote !

Death is a debt to nature due which she has paid and so must you. Read that on an old headstone.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 10:55 PM

Throw me to the wind ,stream and swamp. I feel no need in taking up a space for eternity. Sarge
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/25/21 11:05 PM

I told my kids to take me as far north as they can and dump me in a trout stream. I don't care if they cremate me first or not.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 12:30 AM

Told the misses I want an open casket, face down and naked. Then I want to be cremated and dumped in the grotto of the playboy mansion, so that I can have a smokin hot bod and be all over the bunnies.

She wasn't amused.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 12:48 AM

I will be buried in the old Cemetery , where most of my Relatives are buried. No long, drawn out Funeral for me. Just a Casket, and direct burial in the ground. Got my plot picked out. Behind my Father's grave to the right of an old Sugar Maple. I frankly can't see spending money on a big Funeral, when the Guest of Honor will not be there to enjoy it.
Posted By: charles

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 12:55 AM

Wife and I will be cremated. My mom decided 30 years before her death that she would donate her body to the university medical school. I honored her wishes. After about a year she was cremated and I spread her ashes on the Blue Ridge Parkway outside of town.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 01:12 AM

From the Cremation Association of North America (CANA);
Scholars today quite generally agree that cremation probably began in any real sense during the early Stone Age – around 3000 B.C. – and most likely in Europe and the Near East.

In the Mycenaean Age – circa 1000 B.C. – cremation became an integral part of the elaborate Grecian burial custom. In fact, it became the dominant mode of disposition by the time of Homer in 800 B.C. and was actually encouraged for reasons of health and expedient burial of slain warriors in this battle-ravaged country.
Following this Grecian trend, the early Romans probably embraced cremation some time around 600 B.C.
By the time of the Roman Empire – 27 B.C. to 395 A.D. – it was widely practiced, and cremated remains were generally stored in elaborate urns, often within columbarium-like buildings.

Prevalent though the practice was among the Romans, cremation was rare with the early Christians who considered it a pagan ritual.

However, by 400 A.D., as a result of Constantine's Christianization of the Empire, earth burial had completely replaced cremation except for rare instances of plague or war, and for the next 1,500 years remained the accepted mode of disposition throughout Europe.

Modern cremation, began only a century ago, after years of experimentation into the development of a dependable chamber. The first crematories in Europe were built in 1878 in Woking, England and Gotha, Germany. In North America, it began in 1876 when Dr. Julius LeMoyne built the first crematory in Washington, Pennsylvania.

Crematories soon sprang up in Buffalo, New York, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit and Los Angeles.
In 1900, there were 20 crematories in operation.
In 1913, there were 52 crematories in North America and over 10,000 cremations took place that year.
In 1975, there were over 425 crematories and nearly 150,000 cremations.
In 1999, there were 1,468 crematories and 595,617 cremations, a percentage of 25.39% of all deaths in the United States.
In 2019, there were over 3,000 crematories and over 1,500,000 cremations...and 54.6% of deaths in the United States were handled through cremation.

The 21st century North American crematory practice - including the use of urns - mirrors the Roman Empire practice of 2000 years ago.

Blessings,
Mark

Posted By: waggler

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 02:57 AM

I would prefer to be buried. However, I will most likely end up in Davy Jones locker.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 03:36 AM

[Linked Image]

Like in the movies…
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 03:45 AM

An Uncle of mine passed away a few years back. Lived all his life in the community and 2 people attended his funeral. Needless to say he didn't spend a lot of time being a good neighbor. When my Aunt died they didn't bother with a funeral.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 04:04 AM

^^^^
That is sad.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Savell
I want to be air fried

You might already be!
Ha grin
Posted By: Squash

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 10:33 AM

I’m going to be cremated, no calling hours or funeral. much cheaper than traditional burial and funeral. Average funeral costs $10,000. Don’t need to enrich some already wealthy funeral director, and then have some archeologist/ grave robber, dig my body up 1000 years from now.

Like the song says, “all we are is dust in the wind,”.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 10:47 AM

I've told my kids throw me on a brush pile at the farm and burn me.

Service should be just long enough for Freebird and My Way to play. Then end it.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 10:50 AM

Does it matter?

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 11:26 AM

Orthodox Christians have argued (discussions back and forth) that ^^^^^ answer would be..... no.
The dealings of a burial or a cremation simply reflects on the person and the family's love for one another.
It has been my experience, that a family with a history of familiar issues and tensions going into end-of-life issues, or death, goes one of two ways; they come together, or they fight worse.
One of my most memorable Emergency Department bereavement supports, was an Italian man, 58 years old, who died on his birthday. Had moved from NY to TX a few years back.
Collapsed while watching TV of a heart attack, was able to call 911, but died as he arrived at the hospital.
His family, including his wife of many years, their kids and grandkids were the most vocal group I've ever had at time of death, and the ED staff called the security team, but I stepped in and asked security to please not usher them out of the hospital, but to please give us a few minutes as the family cried (very loudly) in the trauma bay room.

Incredibly, after about 15 minutes, the room settled down and a son of the patient started first.... repentance. Full on! Started telling everyone he'd hurt, lied to, cheated, stole from, messed with, he was sorry. Then the next son did the same. And round and round the room it went as all 11 people repented to the others and telling them how sorry they were for the bad things they'd done.
Mom went last. She was a mess with tears, but asked them all with a pretty stern voice at first, "why you all never did this while your father was alive to see it! Your father was sick all the time for all the stuff happening in this family."

I assisted that Italian family that final day for the patriarch of the family and before the funeral home came for the body, we all gathered around, I was asked to pray, and I thanked God for times in our lives when through the hardest of times, God pricks our hearts, we're allowed to see the clearest, because these moments are not ever forgotten.

My hope and prayer is that some of you will allow your families to grieve properly as this family did, one last time, when the time comes.
It may, in some instances, unload one generation's junk, so they don't carry it on to the next, which is most typical.
Laying it all, at the feet of the cross, at a funeral or memorial is the perfect time to do so.

Blessings,
Mark

Posted By: trapper20

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 02:12 PM

cremated, no funeral service, just a small party!

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 02:22 PM

You're not safe, not in death. I repaired this mausoleum after some local kids vandalized it. I was ankle deep in human remains. I'm going in a hole...I ain't worth shoveling for.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 04:03 PM

Before my dad passed away, he said his funeral was all paid for; wouldn't cost us kids anything.
When he died, we met with the funeral director and found out "paid for" isn't always what it means.
His funeral was to be open casket and burial in a cemetery.

It seems there were plenty of extra charges not accounted for in his prepayment: Transporting body from nursing home to funeral home which was a total of 8 city blocks = $800.
Newspaper ad = $300. Prepping body for ID by a family member = $300. Use of funeral home for service $900.

We decided we would do a cremation and no viewing with a burial in the cemetery where he had purchased a plot alongside my mother.

To make a long story short, it costs almost an additional $3,000 in the end. The money was no big deal, IMO. What was a big deal was the funeral home falsely selling him a prepaid funeral.
Posted By: trappinia

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 04:16 PM

23 years as a firefighter trying not to get burned , bury me ,and I paid for the plot I want to use it all .

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 05:43 PM

Just worked up some figures last month on a burial in Texas (average cost) because so many people ask me. I'm not involved in anything other than pastoral support, but people seem to think a lot about the cost at the end-of-life, and some think cremation is so much less.

Average creation services A-Z, from assisting with the body, memorial service, all the way to an urn = $10,700.
Average for burials with average cost plot and all the rest = $12,800.

Average wedding now costs $39,000 so you could bury 3 or 4 for the festivities of a wedding these days.
If you're talking dollars and cents that is.

I know money doesn't grow on trees, but a funeral memorial is best done right, not cheap.

Did a bereavement support a month ago that was the opposite of right. Prayers were hardly finished and the good-byes still lingering in the air, when the SIL said out loud, "Ok, that was fun. Let's get back the school in time for the kid's baseball tournament!" Grandma hardly gone, and we're worried about 12 year olds playing baseball.

Don't blame the Gen Z's ya'll. They do what they're being taught. By us.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 06:00 PM

Cremated. No funeral. Per my wishes, they will rent out the local Ag Pavilion and have a good ole party. No crying allowed. I want everyone who wants to show up, whether they liked me or not, to be there as well. Tell stories, eat BBQ and catfish, and when they leave, they’ll now have another memory of me.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 06:02 PM

My funeral won't cost anywhere near that. I want to be cremated, no service, and my ashes dumped in my favorite fishing lake.
Posted By: woodchuck

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 08:02 PM

Well I'm claustrophobic, too many stories of grave robbers opening caskets and finding scratching, etc. So cremated for me.
My Aunt had her plot already paid for by her and with her parents...everything done/paid for back in 1946. Cremated here (400 miles from cemetery) so had that as extra but was expected. Now cemetary where everything was paid for started adding new charges, basically saying the plot already had 2 and couldn't have her even though original document said 4 were allowed. Finally got things straightened out for an additional 2 grand. Also found out the cemetary was bought by a nationwide business and is known for "marking" up services, a monopoly I guess you'd call it.
Anyways my reason. Something heard is some place sells biodegradable holders with dirt your ashes can be mixed with and have a tree seed in it and planted anywhere.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by woodchuck
Well I'm claustrophobic, too many stories of grave robbers opening caskets and finding scratching, etc. So cremated for me.

Burned in a cardboard box at 1800*F, then run through a industrial garbage disposal seems a lot more peaceful.

To each their own on funeral processes. A lot more to grieving than people would believe.

To all the folks who got screwed over by funeral homes, most all prepaid funerals are are insurance policies through am insurance company, not the local funeral home. They have to be sold by a licensed insurance agent. If there is a discrepancy, it should be cut and dry or it's insurance fraud. I'm guessing a lot of times, folks go in and make arrangements and either never follow through with paying or put down a portion and the kids think its paid in full. Next of kin has the right to scrap those plans and do whatever they want and pocket the money too.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 10:40 PM

Had a family today getting set to take 41 year old lady (mom) with cancer to hospice care from the hospital setting.
Hospice asked mom if she had made any "end-of-life" arrangements? She said no, and asked her children (no husband or partner involved - not unusual) age 13 and 14 "what do you guys want?"
Que the tears from the children.
Children of course aren't at all prepped for these situations, but as a culture we raise multitudes of youngins now with,"what do you want?" from an age of 2, so they do what anybody does when they don't want to make a decision.... they deflect back to mom. "Mom what do you want?"
Mom can probably only think about being 41 and saying goodbye before Thanksgiving, so she is not equipped mentally to think straight today...
Children can probably only think about mom not living much longer and their world is about to cave in big time...

So Hospice nurse waits a few minutes and asks again,"Well, I'm sorry, but we really need to figure this out soon."

Mom then says what 99.9% say to try and help those left behind.. "I think we should save money."
Silence and tears from mom and children.

Mom then asks me, Mark what do you think?
So, advice is not what we do, right?
But as a believer I can help them understand more than the world teaches; money, death as defeat, shame in illness and dying so young, all if it.
So, I look right at mom, and a 13 and 14 year old boy and girl, and offer, "God doesn't care about money and neither do you right now. You love each other and have been through all of this together. Why don't you take mom home and let's get her comfortable and all the rest of this will be handled (I look at the Hospice nurse). Guys, there's gonna be some really hard days ahead, and you know what, there is gonna be some really deep and meaningful days ahead too. Let's help y'all get through all of it together... together (I repeat on purpose.)"

You see, we take the human relationship outta death and suffering and in fact we try to get through it as fast as we can as easily as we can. And it messes people up = trauma, grief, physical and mental strife as a result. Too often, we joke and make light and say, what do I care, I won't be here anyway. Well, those you love and who love you remain.
As we say now: Just saying.
Just a thought from someone in the trenches y'all.

Please, for those you love, let us give death the reverence God intended. It is explicitly related to how we're made in God's Image. Birth and death are the two most worshipful moments in humanity.
We are tempered through suffering and the more we understand the theology of that, big time evident at death.... the clearer we see the Misseo Dei (Mission of God) of Christ on the Cross for those who are lost.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/26/21 11:29 PM

Buried at the Veterans National Cemetery at Jefferson Barracks with all my Brothers and Sisters that served our country, what ever is cheaper, in corpus or ashes in a jar
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/27/21 12:02 AM

Cremation

Bryce
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/27/21 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
You see, we take the human relationship outta death and suffering and in fact we try to get through it as fast as we can as easily as we can. And it messes people up = trauma, grief, physical and mental strife as a result. Too often, we joke and make light and say, what do I care, I won't be here anyway. Well, those you love and who love you remain.

As we say now: Just saying.

Just a thought from someone in the trenches y'all.

Please, for those you love, let us give death the reverence God intended. It is explicitly related to how we're made in God's Image. Birth and death are the two most worshipful moments in humanity.
We are tempered through suffering and the more we understand the theology of that, big time evident at death.... the clearer we see the Misseo Dei (Mission of God) of Christ on the Cross for those who are lost.

Blessings,
Mark

Spot on.

Again, to each their own, but as much as it seems the thing to do at the time, making it quick and and (potentially) inexpensive, isn't always the best for the friends and loved ones left behind. People need a chance to properly grieve or as others have mentioned, it typically comes back to the surface someway somehow. Funeral gatherings of some kind are a part of that. Doesn't have to be a drawn out thing with a bronze casket, 100's of floral arrangements and a huge granite marker, but people need something. As mentioned, a party with a BBQ, beer and photo boards or slideshows of pics and folks standing around telling stories sometimes fills this spot as well as a formal funeral inside a church (sorry Mark wink ) All depends on the person. But having a friend or loved one be part of your life for a long time (hopefully) and then one day they die and expecting them to just be gone and life moves on is not realistic or healthy mentally. People need to pump the brakes and take a moment to process.

Now to answer the OP original question, me, I'm having a traditional funeral. Casket, flowers, crying, hugging, laughing, my Pastor there, a couple songs, buried in a cemetery with a nice marker and everyone can go stuff their faces and tell more stories about me.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/27/21 01:26 PM

Erik,
You nailed it sir. I have no issues with a good old time at a wake, a memorial, a funeral or whatever name we call it. Heck yah! More the better. Bring it!
You also hit that nail on the head when you said, "crying, hugging, laughing, my Pastor there, a couple songs, buried in a cemetery with a nice marker and everyone can go stuff their faces and tell more stories about me." That's the key. All should be about the person who is no longer on earth and every emotion that brings up.

I was at a memorial recently at a church and wonderfully instead of the casket being in the back (when did that start to happen), the pastor and family had the castor placed up front and everyone came in, service was conducted, and respects were paid as they say, and people were crying, and laughing, and hugging, and arguing (a bit)....
but I noticed that it seemed that only the deceased's immediate family members, grieving as necessary, were the ones not peering at cell phones.
Many in the room were "living" not where their feet were, but somewhere else while they sat in the memorial.

I thought people only took their phones to the bathroom with them but it seems tech now invades even our most precious moments.
The tyranny of the urgent I guess.

Posted By: bblwi

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/27/21 02:30 PM

"Show up physically but mentally and emotionally searching for the cheapest gas or the best deal on trash bags"! Sympathy for the loss with no empathy, which allows us to disengage from the moment of integrity and deal with our own issues real and or imagined.

Bryce

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/27/21 08:00 PM

Amen Bryce.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Buried or cremated? - 10/27/21 08:58 PM

When that time comes I'll hopefully be dead and so it makes not never minds to me at that point
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/25/22 05:51 PM

Buried for me.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/25/22 08:07 PM

Microwaved
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/25/22 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Microwaved

Were you trying for the final unknown answer on family feud? My oh my

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/25/22 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
Microwaved

Were you trying for the final unknown answer on family feud? My oh my

No, my Uncle who just died worked at Hillside Cemetery as a grave digger and crematorium worker. He always called it that. So I told them that when his body was reased to me and on to them.

His ashes are here

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/25/22 08:39 PM

Microwaved

Uncovered spaghetti sauce makes enough of a mess.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/25/22 09:31 PM

Microwaved

Boom..... grin

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/25/22 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Microwaved

Boom..... grin

Not just defrosted either
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/25/22 11:20 PM

Don't much matter to me... Told the wife if she can figure out how to make money off my body instead of spending it... So be it.

Viking funeral pyre would be neat. Last I knew though the only place that's still legal is in Virginia.

Mike
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Don't much matter to me... Told the wife if she can figure out how to make money off my body instead of spending it... So be it.

Viking funeral pyre would be neat. Last I knew though the only place that's still legal is in Virginia.

Mike

Now that’s interesting

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 12:10 AM

I want my kids to mix some of my ashes with FFG and shoot a deer with it.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 12:28 AM

My mother in law passed last fall and she was ok with being cremated. She made all the arrangements before she had left us. Everything went almost to fast with cremation. But here it was half the price of a old fashion funeral. I think that is the way my family can do with me when the time comes. But I have a favorite place they can put me when it is over.
Posted By: charles

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 12:56 AM

A few years ago I was the executor of a cousin’s estate. She never married. Her long ago deceased dad had purchased ten grave sites. Only four were used. A relative wished to be buried there so that left five sites. One young heir who lived out of state was a real thorn in my side. She expected to inherit something but got very little. No heir wanted the five grave sites and I needed to settle the estate. I gave the problem child the five plots. Doubt she has been able to sell them and I know she didn’t want them.

I have two plots in a family spot for the wife and me. We have decided to avoid the burial expenses and just be cremated instead. Our kids are OK with our choices.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 01:05 AM

I always kind of hoped they’d never find me.
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 01:38 AM

My mother died on January 9th of this year and we had a very nice funeral to show our respect.
She had money set aside to bury her and a plot paid for. A headstone that we had to get her dates wrote on
Many friends and family showed up to pay there respects> this was what she wanted.
I can tell you the cost was just short of 15,000 . It was nice to see old friends and family again.

Either way you choose, let the family say goodbye!
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 03:15 AM

I and my wife will be cremated and put in the same container. I have had our grave site since 1974 with my son who died of cancer. My x-wife was asked if she would be willing to sell her share of the head stone and grave site. She said she was not ready to sell and then later asked if I want to sell out. I said it is my last name on the head stone and not her new name. So all I need to do is put a brass plate on her name and put my current wife's name over the top or have her name sand blasted out and new name or sand blast both names and start a new way of doing it. Now if she and her husband wanna also be buried at this site it it fine with my current wife and me. We have two remaining spots that can have two per spot. Now again the rules might have changed as to who or how many per grave. Any thoughts Mark!
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 04:57 AM

I told my wife to put my urn on the headboard…and think of me when it rattles.
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 06:06 AM

I donated my body to science , either a body farm or medical college , from what they said .
When they're done with my body , they will cremate it, and give the ashes to my children .
I asked to have the ashes buried while planting a tree on top of them .
If I had my way , I would just disappear in the biggest forest I could find and just return to the earth naturally .
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 12:25 PM

My wife had a traditional burial, I'll be right next to her...
Posted By: keets

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 12:27 PM

I'm in such tough shape , I donated my body to science fiction eek
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 12:38 PM

Cremated and the ashes dumped into favorite fishing spots. Then a stone at the cemetery with my parents.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 12:52 PM

Cremated
Maybe mixed in with some lead so my family can pour me into jig heads and take me fishing.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 01:29 PM

With the cost of embalming and all it might be cheaper just to be stuffed. Since I'm already home and won't need to be transported back to Israel then I see no need for the box. If I was to be stuffed some jokester in the future might burn me for fuel on some cold morning.
Seems simpler and cheaper for my wife just to have me toasted and the ashes be buried out by my hounds and mutts. I guess ideally she should have my bones cleaned up one day before the 11 month deadline and reburied, but I don't think she will be willing to be out the expense.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 01:37 PM

Basic Cremation for my Uncle last year Dec. 2021
$2, 950. We're making the urn ourselves.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 02:08 PM

Just seen on the news the other night in order to be environmentally friendly, someone one has a patent on a machine that uses water and hydraulics somehow to turn one into soup then drys you out to nothing but dust. Wish I had been paying more attention at the beginning, but I'm sure we will be hearing more in the future.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 02:09 PM

here its 1000 dollars. Who is bringing the marshmellos?

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue

With all add on charges, as others have stated above^^^?
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 02:20 PM

If I die in the next 15 years or so, it will probably be in a place where no one will find my body and it will return to the earth naturally. If I get old enough that I can no longer go to those places, they can do what they want with it. I'll be elsewhere.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 02:23 PM

No add ons but the box..I asked if a walmart plastic bag would suffice.....they said no.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 03:42 PM

Wishes:
1. Was be ground up and used as bear bait and my wife and son can go on a lst hunt with me and I'm returned to nature. (not doable they say)
2. Cremated used as bear bait keep some if you wish. (wife says no)
3. Wife wants traditional burial and spend eternity next to each other. Guess that's the plan she is awesome.
4. working on burial at our apple orchard on our hunting land. Get to still be in on any deer drives!

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw

Just seen on the news the other night in order to be environmentally friendly, someone one has a patent on a machine that uses water and hydraulics somehow to turn one into soup then drys you out to nothing but dust. Wish I had been paying more attention at the beginning, but I'm sure we will be hearing more in the future.

Campbell's

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 03:57 PM

Campbell's [/quote]
Is it soup yet?

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 04:52 PM

I got around to googling this and seems I had hydraulics and hydrolysis confused a bit. Seems after they turn you into soup and strain it thru a strainer and save the bigger particles for the urn. There will be more than with cremation so its takes a bigger urn. The rest is flushed into the waste water ( sounds environment safe to me, lol ). Sounds like you get more for your money.

And yeah, its not a new process, just new again. Someday burying will be the new cheaper method, lol.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
There is no biblical direction for either one. Your body returns to the earth whether it decays or is burned. Same thing.

Thou art dust and unto dust you shall return. We were made from the dust of the earth.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 05:25 PM

Prior to my dad's death, he told us kids he pre-paid for his funeral. So, we wouldn't have any cost to worry about. He felt comfortable about that. This is what he was led to believe. His funeral was to include embalming, viewing, church service, etc
However, upon his death we were told about certain "extras" that weren't included in his pre-payment. Such as $800 to transport his body from nursing home which was 8 city blocks away from the funeral home. $300 to put his name in the local paper. Someone had to identity his body at the funeral home. They charged $300 for one of us to view him which they had added makeup to make him presentable. To transport his body to the church and set up that portion of his funeral was around $2500. So, we opted to have him cremated and a small service at the funeral home which costs $1200. There were some other smaller charges like an urn, etc. In the end we had to fork out close to $3,000.

Pre-paying for your funeral isn't what it seems.
Posted By: MB750

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 05:26 PM

As a Trustee of a cemetery, I can see one major problem with scattering someone's ashes. Most of the time there is no record of the person's ashes being spread . No headstone, nothing written anywhere, you just dissappear. What if down the road some relative, say 100 years from now wanting to visit his Great Great Grandpa's gravesite? What if they are wanting some kind of information on where they came from?
I enjoy going to graveyards and reading various headstones. You can learn a lot from those who were here before.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 05:41 PM

I have a friend who was the superintendent of an old, local cemetery. He told me once they had to move some graves from the 1800s to another area of the cemetery. I don't remember why they needed to move them.
I asked him that old of a grave there can't be much left in the casket.

He said back then they had wooden coffins. They would find bits of wood and the only thing left of the body was a different color of dirt.

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by west river rogue

No add ons but the box..I asked if a walmart plastic bag would suffice.....they said no.

Well that's cheap. Here they sell all in one, WITH ***exceptions

Doesn't make sense Complete but not complete
Posted By: jarentz

Re: Buried or cremated? - 01/26/22 05:57 PM

cemetery charged 1500.00 to open the grave, funeral home 400.00 for the use of a tent! Lots of extras you don't think about.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums